-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Trying to fix sound in MEPIS 12 KDE -- SOLVED

Problems with your sound card are to be posted here, as well as tutorials to share with others.
megatotoro
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Trying to fix sound in MEPIS 12 KDE

#11 Post by megatotoro » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:49 pm

The same happened to me today, but on MX-14. I just installed Pulseaudio using Synaptic and that solved the problem.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#12 Post by Stevo » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:53 pm

I'm pretty sure that we were shipping pulseaudio with the later point releases of MX 14, but nothing prevented a user from removing it.

I see a note on the web that Arch Linux's first build of 52 required pulseaudio, but the maintainer responded to users' protests, and the current version supports both alsa and pulseaudio again. Mozilla plans to drop alsa support altogether with version 54, though.

Edit: I'm looking at the Arch PKGBUILD, and it looks like this is the mozconfig option:

Code: Select all

ac_add_options --enable-alsa
which would also need a build-depend of libasound2-dev.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#13 Post by Stevo » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:17 pm

I went to the effort of loading all 94 source packages of Sid's firefox-52 into an OBS Wheezy build machine with the enable-alsa option, and the build failed with this message:

[ 264s] ERROR: Only GCC 4.8 or newer is supported (found version 4.7.2)

So if that's not the result of a Debian patch, which doesn't look likely, that shoots down the option of building FF 52 on Wheezy/M12. I think I can convert that to a Jessie build machine without reuploading more than a couple files--I'll try that just so that effort didn't go for nothing--let's see if the OBS VM runs out of RAM.

aus9
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#14 Post by aus9 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:58 pm

@ Stevo

good catch on GCC

the testing branch of firefox extended support release has no PA dependency either.

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/firefox-esr

I have yet to make any deb packages.....but I am tempted to say those poor souls who do maintain backports might be better off only do ESR firefox packages
good Luck from MX-16 user

aus9
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#15 Post by aus9 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:04 pm

eemaestro

it looks to me, to save people and yourself time you might now wish to consider some new options.

why not do a clean install of MX16?

2) it seems no great loss to have pulseaudio installed and we now know a source compile on Mepis 12 will fail ruining my vain thoughts.

3) so install pulseaudio and for the moment leave it running.

when you start VLC on Mepis I am not sure what the default is.

if you hear sound....VLC then its automatic sound preferences is working
----if no sound....go into preferences and pulldown and choose pulseaudio

Good luck

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#16 Post by Stevo » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:14 pm

I got the FF 52 from Sid to do a successful Jessie-backports on the OBS, possibly with added alsa support. It uses Gtk 2 themes instead of Gtk 3 like the one straight from Mozilla, so the menus, etc. are going to be dark like my xfce theme. Takes not very long to build, forever to do thousands of self tests after that, but at least we know how to backport it if we ever need to.

Mozilla.debian.net seems to have changed their FF 52 package to firefox-esr from firefox-release, but I still can't see anything from it yet in the repo.

aus9
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#17 Post by aus9 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:01 am

@ Stevo

thanks for looking into this.

mozconfig allows this option if interested. I make no claims this is recommended

ac_add_options --disable-tests

in my other post, I could not find any log.....I have now found it its called config.log and its pathway was
/home/gordon/mozilla-central-b7e42143bbbc/obj-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/config.log
INFO: Adding configure options from /home/gordon/mozilla-central-b7e42143bbbc/mozconfig
snip
INFO: --disable-tests
snip
DEBUG: Running /bin/sh /home/gordon/mozilla-central-b7e42143bbbc/old-configure --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --target=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --disable-tests --disable-debug.....snip

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#18 Post by Stevo » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:23 am

Yes, but since the OBS is building my packages on a cloud server, I am happy to have it take the time with the tests if it passes them. I thought that if anyone else tried a backport on their own machine, they might be interested in how it builds and how long it might take.

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#19 Post by eemaestro » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:08 am

Stevo, thank you for taking time to look into this.

Is the MX-16 respin marked MX-16_February_386.iso 15-Feb-2017 11:07 the one you recommend trying on AMD x_64 ? If there's been a more recent one, please post the URL. The last MX_16 ISO I tried on this machine was the one dated last Christmas. Thanks. Meanwhile I will take a look at the palemoon browser you suggested.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#20 Post by Stevo » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:45 am

If you want KDE, mine is in the zip file that says "KDE added" March 2017.

Return to “Sound”