-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Trying to fix sound in MEPIS 12 KDE -- SOLVED

Problems with your sound card are to be posted here, as well as tutorials to share with others.
eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Trying to fix sound in MEPIS 12 KDE -- SOLVED

#1 Post by eemaestro » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:13 pm

My computer's sound stopped working today. I had done #apt-get update && apt-get upgrade last night.

I think the lack of sound is the result of some library changes made by APT.

When trying to play video on the web, I noticed this bar atop my browser viewport
"To play audio, you may need to install the required PulseAudio Software."
with a Learn how button on the right hand side and an X.

When I press the Learn how button another dialog box pops up,
trying to reach a nonexistent webpage at
https://support.mozilla.org/1/firefox/5 ... deo-issues

When I click on K...PulseAudio Volume Control, a gray dialog box pops up,
with the black text:

Connection to PulseAudio failed. Automatic retry in 5s
In this case this likely because PULSE_SERVER in the Environment/X11 Root Window Properties or default-server in client.conf is misconfigured.
This situation can also arrise when PulseAudio crashed and left stale details in the X11 Root Window.
If this is the case, then PulseAudio should autospawn again, or if this is not configured you should run start-pulseaudio-x11 manually.

As you can see, PulseAudio doesn't seem to be installed?

Code: Select all

# start-pulseaudio-x11
bash: start-pulseaudio-x11: command not found
root@mepis1:/home/jon# start-pulseaudio-X11
bash: start-pulseaudio-X11: command not found
root@mepis1:/home/jon# which pulseaudio
root@mepis1:/home/jon#     
I don't think I ever heard of Pulseaudio before now.

When I run phonon from K...settings....system settings...Multimedia...phonon
I can hear the tune on the default audio device that I selected.

I am confused. Does anybody have an idea on what might have happened and/or how to fix it? I plugged my speakers into a portable CD player to verify that they work.
Last edited by eemaestro on Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Trying to fix sound in MEPIS 12 KDE

#2 Post by skidoo » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:57 pm

What happened: when you upgraded, a newer version of firefox got installed. The newer ff version requires pulseaudio.
(FWIW, this mozilla development decision was announced back in Sept 2016)
https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/commen ... uired_now/

The Firefox developers decided to make PulseAudio a hard dependency, and disable ALSA support. That means no, it is no longer possible for official Firefox builds to play sound with ALSA.

To those of us for whom PulseAudio is not viable, this is obviously a short-sighted decision. It cripples Firefox.

Things you can do if PulseAudio is a non-starter:

Switch to a different browser.
Switch to Firefox ESR (until it starts requiring PulseAudio).
Switch to a linux distribution that packages Firefox with ALSA support enabled. (The code is still present; Mozilla simply switched it off.) Rumor has it that Arch Linux is doing this.
Ask your current linux distribution's Firefox maintainers to re-enable ALSA.
Spend your time rebuilding Firefox yourself every time a new release or security patch is issued. (Use the --disable-pulseaudio --enable-alsa build options for this.)
Someone else can chime in to say whether you can temporarily enable MX15/16 repo and install pulseaudio from there... or whether pulseaudio will not work on your older install. If it doesn't, here's a "pulseaudio emulator" which may prove useful: https://github.com/i-rinat/apulse

aus9
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#3 Post by aus9 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:38 am

Hi

I defer to skidoo for his excellent analysis on why firefox is failing for you.

but I believe you have more than one option if you must stay with KDE on Mepis 12

1) insist on using a mozilla web browser like firefox and install pulseaudio.

your which command proves you have not installed it but if you do this....it might help reveal whether pulseaudio exists for your distro version

apt search pulseaudio
2) move to a web browser not dependent on pulseaudio running on your system

3) depending on your specs
manually start pulseaudio only when you need to run firefox
----we can make a kind of script for that.

and the rest of your time play sound thru your normal system.

##########################################

what is the name of your current fav media player?

###########################################

leaping ahead....if you get no hits for pulseaudio in apt search.....I feel to run a MX15/16 is likely to drag in too many dependencies
and then you won't like me, heh heh
and then you will be forced to run

sudo apt-get -f install
to resolve those extra missing dependencies.

---so skidoo's idea has merit if it does not drag in too many dependencies.

I am pretty sure, based on your post you have not heard of pulseaudio.....it has been around a long time....its not scary and it does have a graphical volume control manager you might even like
good Luck from MX-16 user

aus9
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Post by aus9 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:14 am

OP

how good are you at compiling a package from source?
it will be a private build so you won't need to learn how to make it a deb package.

I have just found that my nightly build has a parameter to disable pulseaudio, I have yet to try to build and test it.

but depending on your answer we could have an extra option.

the mozconfig line would read

ac_add_options --disable-pulseaudio

but you won't be downloading a nightly source....if you have some skills or happy to learn, we will link you to current stable firefox source.
to compile nightly only took me 30 minutes but my specs are fairly good for a 64 bit tower
good Luck from MX-16 user

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Post by Stevo » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:49 am

We have a backported pulseaudio in the mx14 repo that would be the choice. By no means install a Jessie based version from the mx15 repo. You can also install the older Debian wheezy version that you should see in Synaptic.

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#6 Post by eemaestro » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:49 am

skidoo,

Thank you for taking time to explain what happened to Firefox and what pulseaudio is, and how Firefox suddenly became nonfunctional insofar as audio.

Last night, I removed Firefox using APT. I also removed Opera because stumbleupon did not work with my version (it was from a 64-bit deb package that I had dowloaded independently from the web and installed with dpkg -i:) I was pretty upset that a so-called upgrade had broken audio in Firefox (version 52 IIRC).

Next, I installed iceweasel using APT. YAY!, audio works flawlessly right out of the box! So does stumbleupon.

My regret is not taking time to save my.html bookmarks files. I tried importing my bookmarks from .jsonlz4 file, but that didn't work. Oh, well. Iceweasel 19.0.2 is good. Oh, I also regret removing Opera as it still played back audio. Now I have non-working Opera icons in the KDE K-menu. Oh, well.
Now I don't have to go replace my Soundblaster card. It still works!

aus9, I usually rely on a make file to compile a package, so as to make sure I don't forget to update a specific library. I'd be willing to give it a go if you're willing to explain exactly what you did to remove the requirement for pulseaudio. (As in, for example, where exactly do I find the the mozconfig line ? ) My compilation would require building binaries for the 64-bit AMD--see hwinfo excerpt below . Am using gcc (Debian 4.7.2-5) 4.7.2. A make file would be easiest, IMHO.

excerpt from hwinfo:

Hardware Class: cpu
  Arch: X86-64
  Vendor: "AuthenticAMD"
  Model: 21.16.1 "AMD A8-5600K APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics"
  Features: fpu,vme,de,pse,tsc,msr,pae,mce,cx8,apic,sep,mtrr,pge,mca,cmov,pat,pse36,clflush,mmx,fxsr,sse,sse2,ht,syscall,nx,mmxext,fxsr_opt,pdpe1gb,rdtscp,lm,constant_tsc,rep_good,nopl,nonstop_tsc,extd_apicid,aperfmperf,pni,pclmulqdq,monitor,ssse3,fma,cx16,sse4_1,sse
  Clock: 1400 MHz
  BogoMips: 7200.30
  Cache: 2048 kb
  Units/Processor: 4
  Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#7 Post by eemaestro » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:22 pm

aus9, I use VLC, but would be okay with any media player that works.

This morning I tried to install google chrome browser after discovering youtube wouldn't work in iceweasel, but as you can see, it didn't work. Never got installed.

# ls *.deb
google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb  pvs-studio-6.12.20591.1-amd64.deb  slimjet_amd64.deb
opera-stable_43.0.2442.1144_amd64.deb   skypeforlinux-64.deb               vcdmaker-2.0.1-amd64.deb
root@mepis1:/home/jon/Downloads# dpkg -i google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb
Selecting previously unselected package google-chrome-stable.
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'xserver-xorg-video-qxl' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'xfsprogs' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
(Reading database ... 147763 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking google-chrome-stable (from google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of google-chrome-stable:
 google-chrome-stable depends on libstdc++6 (>= 4.8.0); however:
  Version of libstdc++6:amd64 on system is 4.7.2-5.
 google-chrome-stable depends on libappindicator1; however:
  Package libappindicator1 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing google-chrome-stable (--install):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for menu ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
gdbm fatal: read error
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 google-chrome-stable

root@mepis1:/home/jon# apt-get install -f          
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  google-chrome-stable
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 179 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'xserver-xorg-video-qxl' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'xfsprogs' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
(Reading database ... 147859 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing google-chrome-stable ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
gdbm fatal: read error
Processing triggers for menu ...
UPDATE:
Installed Opera 12.16 Build 1860 x86_64, 3.9-1-mepis64 using APT. It works fine playing videos on youtube.com, msnbc.com, and yahoo.com. So I'm deleting the google-chrome-stable debian package.
Last edited by eemaestro on Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#8 Post by kmathern » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:49 pm

eemaestro wrote:...This morning I tried to install google chrome browser after discovering youtube wouldn't work in iceweasel, but as you can see, it didn't work. Never got installed. ...
Chrome is no longer installable on M12 because Google stopped supporting Wheezy based distros (MEPIS 12 is based on Wheezy) around this time last year, it was at the same time that they dropped support for 32bit/i386.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#9 Post by Stevo » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:23 pm

I just sent up an update to the KDE-added MX respin, which was migrated from MX 15 to 16 and fully updated as of yesterday. It includes pretty much all the same programs as MEPIS 12, only with all the new MX tools--they work fine in KDE, except for the xfce-specific ones, such as system sounds or default-looks. With all our added features, it blows M12 out of the water, IMO--why not give the live ISO a spin to see how you like it?

If you want to stay with M12, I would also recommend giving the Pale Moon browser a try. It started out on a Firefox 24 base, but is continually getting updated to accommodate changes in the Web, unlike Iceweasel 19, and we can still build it for a Wheezy base. It's in the main M12 community repo.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#10 Post by Stevo » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:41 pm

I also don't see any pulseaudio dependency in the Sid build of Firefox 52: https://packages.debian.org/sid/firefox

but that might be an oversight on Debian's part. It seems we need to add pulseaudio to the list of dependencies for our rebundle of Firefox, though--then this question never would have come up.

Return to “Sound”