-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Dual sound cards - UEFI BIOS

Problems with your sound card are to be posted here, as well as tutorials to share with others.
Gaer Boy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Dual sound cards - UEFI BIOS

#1 Post by Gaer Boy » Sun May 18, 2014 7:31 am

Extracted from the MX Hardware specs topic, re my new ITX build:
Jerry3904 wrote:
Looks great. How did you deal with the dual sound cards?
The only option in the BIOS is to disable Onboard HD Audio. Whichever way this is set - no sound. Also, I have no volume control in the panel.
After looking at everything else, I installed pulseaudio. The Configuration tab gave me 2 x Built-in Audio Profile drop-downs. The first had Digital Stereo (HDMI) Output only, and the second had a dozen options. I turned off the first and set the second to Analog Stereo Output. Sound fine and setting it to Analog Stereo Duplex gave a slightly increased volume. The key to sound was turning off HDMI - with that on, no setting worked.
Having added an SSD and switched HDDs from the old machine, I have reinstalled. This time, I went through the UEFI settings more carefully and was able to turn off the HDMI Audio, so sound worked without installing pulseaudio. The first time I missed that sound card settings came on two pages. This time:

Advanced>North Bridge configuration>Onboard HDMI HD Audio>Disabled
Advanced>South Bridge configuration>Onboard HD Audio>Enabled.

Phil

AsRock FM2A88X-ITX+, A8-6500, 8GB, 120GB Samsung SSD (GPT), 1TB HDD (MBR), MX-17.1
Lenovo Thinkpad X220, dual-core i5, 3MB, 320GB Hitachi HDD, Win7, MX-17.1

Return to “Sound”