Welcome!

Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-17 beta 2 release info here
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-17 release info here
    New users
    • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
    • Read Forum Rules

I need some help from someone who understands the internet

Here users can ask questions about security and tutorials about security can be posted to help others, too.
Topher
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: I need some help from someone who understands the intern

#11 Postby Topher » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:56 am

jdmeaux1952, thanks for the explanation. I have only been using the DNS that Charter has given me. But going through this, I now know how to change my router to use OpenDNS. A friend of mine swears it is faster then Charter, so I think I'll try it even though I haven't noticed any problem with Charter's speed in a very long time.
MX15 MoBo ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 CPU AMD Phenom II X4 945 PSU CORSAIR CX500 (CMPSU-500CX) RAM Crucial CT2KIT25664BA1339 HD WD5000AAKX Wireless EDIMAX EW 7128g

Pierre

#12 Postby Pierre » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:05 am

and just how many 'net users are using OpenDNS ?.
or even GoogleDNS ?.

and how many more are supplied a variable DNS - by their ISP?.
- may be an idea, to at least compare OpenDNS with your ISPs version,
though you may find little or no difference,
then again, - you just may find it is a better DNS supplier. ..

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#13 Postby joany » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:51 am

Topher wrote:I did the check they asked me to do and I got the message that my IP address that I was using is not vulnerable to DNS Amplification attacks. After calling Charter they also did their test and said they showed no problem on my end and apologized.

Yep, a phone call to tech support usually resolves the problem -- or non-problem in this case -- a lot more quickly than clicking on links. :wink:
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

newkansan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#14 Postby newkansan » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:32 am

Topher wrote:jdmeaux1952, thanks for the explanation. I have only been using the DNS that Charter has given me. But going through this, I now know how to change my router to use OpenDNS. A friend of mine swears it is faster then Charter, so I think I'll try it even though I haven't noticed any problem with Charter's speed in a very long time.

Test your DNS speeds with this:
https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

Run it multiple times over different times of day to get a feel for which DNS servers are most consistently fastest in your home. I've come across cases where OpenDNS was slower than other DNS servers. It depends on your proximity to their nearest location. Most times, the ISP is fastest, but more prone to slowdowns during peak hours. Something like OpenDNS will probably have more consistent speeds at various times of day. It may be slightly slower than the ISP during off-peak hours, but significantly faster during peak times.
Acer Aspire 7736Z-4088
Pentium T4400 2.2Ghz, Intel GMA 4500M
4GB RAM, 500GB WDC_WD5000LPLX
MX-15 64-bit

Return to “Security”