-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Another security update for Adobe Flash available

Here users can ask questions about security and tutorials about security can be posted to help others, too.
uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Another security update for Adobe Flash available

#61 Post by uncle mark » Fri May 16, 2014 10:24 am

DBeckett wrote: 
It just seems unconscionable that support would be dwindling for something as ubiquitous as Flash.
I won't argue that point, but think about it... what would be in it for Adobe? Unless the big players that Adobe has to cater to push them to provide Linux support, there's no real reason for them to.

Linux users would have to raise enough of a stink with those that provide Flash content (not Adobe themselves), who would then in turn have to push Adobe.

In this particular case, the OP should be raising Hell with Yahoo.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

DBeckett
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#62 Post by DBeckett » Fri May 16, 2014 10:35 am

Point taken, but I choose to remain grouchy about it.
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-6100 hex-core, 3.3GHz, 8G, Radeon HD6570

richb
Administrator

#63 Post by richb » Fri May 16, 2014 10:44 am

joany wrote:
lucky9 wrote:5-6 years ago I had to ask a local movie house site to use something that was standards-based instead of whatever they were using. Less than a week later their site was usable from my Linux-running OS.
8 or 9 years ago I lost a new Linux User to lack of timely Flash updates. Ever since I've blocked all Flash content. I'm not interested in dealing with something that doesn't have anything but a tepid attempt at running on 'Nix. So for me it's HTML 5 (or some other recognized Web Standard) or nothing.
That's an admirable position; unfortunately, there's still too much Flash-only content to abandon it altogether. I went on YouTube's site and opted in for using the HTML5 player "when possible." Short of disabling Flash, how can I tell whether the HTML5 player is actually being used on a particular site?
Right click on the video. The drop down will say "About HTML5 Player" or "About Adobe Flash Player". I have not found many sites using HTML5 other than YouTube.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#64 Post by joany » Fri May 16, 2014 11:26 am

Thanks, richb.

I noticed that enabling HTML5 doesn't survive shutting down Firefox. I have to enable HTML5 each time FF starts. I guess that has something to do with cookies, which are deleted on exit.

Another thing:

I did a benchmark of sorts on the YouTube site (Grilled Grilled Cheese video). With Flash enabled, the CPU usage is 40-50% with CPU temperatures stabilizing around 113°F. After switching over to HTML5, the CPU usage is 90-100% with CPU temperatures stabilizing around 135°F. Using HTML5 results in a significant performance hit IMO. Is there some way to fix that?
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

richb
Administrator

#65 Post by richb » Fri May 16, 2014 11:33 am

joany wrote: I did a benchmark of sorts on the YouTube site (Grilled Grilled Cheese video). With Flash enabled, the CPU usage is 40-50% with CPU temperatures stabilizing around 113°F. After switching over to HTML5, the CPU usage is 90-100% with CPU temperatures stabilizing around 135°F. Using HTML5 results in a significant performance hit IMO. Is there some way to fix that?
Curious. My CPU load with HTML5 is about 10% and temps only increase about 3%. Google Chrome also retains the HTML5 setting.
Forum Rules

Rich
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#66 Post by joany » Fri May 16, 2014 11:55 am

richb wrote:
joany wrote: I did a benchmark of sorts on the YouTube site (Grilled Grilled Cheese video). With Flash enabled, the CPU usage is 40-50% with CPU temperatures stabilizing around 113°F. After switching over to HTML5, the CPU usage is 90-100% with CPU temperatures stabilizing around 135°F. Using HTML5 results in a significant performance hit IMO. Is there some way to fix that?
Curious. My CPU load with HTML5 is about 10% and temps only increase about 3%. Google Chrome also retains the HTML5 setting.
Yes, G.C. produces much better results. It must be a problem with Firefox's implementation. After Googling around a bit, I see others complain about high CPU usage with Firefox.

EDIT:
It seems that Firefox doesn't support GPU accelerated windows for my particular video card. When I type in about:support and scroll down to Graphics, it shows only 0/1 Basic instead of 1/1 Direct3D. This has to do with Mozilla block listing certain GPU/driver/OS combinations that crash or result in instabilities. Luck of the draw, I suppose.
Last edited by joany on Fri May 16, 2014 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

richb
Administrator

#67 Post by richb » Fri May 16, 2014 11:58 am

joany wrote:
richb wrote:
Yes, G.C. produces much better results. It must be a problem with Firefox's implementation. After Googling around a bit, I see others complain about high CPU usage with Firefox.
Maybe not surprising as Google own YouTube.
Forum Rules

Rich

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#68 Post by lucky9 » Fri May 16, 2014 1:25 pm

I used to spend a lot of time on a site that used/allowed Flash advertisements. That was so intrusive that I keep things setup so that I have to go out of my way to allow Flash to play.

I suppose that I'm in a minority in that I don't particularly care for UTube. Occasionally I need Chrome/Chromium for that sort of thing. But it's very occasionally for sure.
For me video and a PC don't 'fit'. I guess I'm a 'Reactionary' about it.

PS: (I'm also a grouch about Flash DBeckett.)
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

DBeckett
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#69 Post by DBeckett » Fri May 16, 2014 5:25 pm

This is probably apples and oranges but playing around with Grilled Grilled Cheese shows only about a 2% difference between Flash and HTML5, both around 9-10% on this hex-core machine. Quality is definitely better though using HTML5.
EDIT:
It seems that Firefox doesn't support GPU accelerated windows for my particular video card. When I type in about:support and scroll down to Graphics, it shows only 0/1 Basic instead of 1/1 Direct3D. This has to do with Mozilla block listing certain GPU/driver/OS combinations that crash or result in instabilities. Luck of the draw, I suppose.
Mine shows the same thing for my Radeon card.
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-6100 hex-core, 3.3GHz, 8G, Radeon HD6570

Silent Observer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#70 Post by Silent Observer » Fri May 16, 2014 9:46 pm

Stevo wrote:A workaround would be to use the Windows Flash plugin, either in the Windows Firefox with Wine, or in a Linux browser with Pipelight, if you don't want to use Chrome or Chromium with the latest Pepperflash.
It's not that I don't want to use Chrome with Pepper Flash -- but Chrome/Pepper wouldn't install in Mepis 11 last time I tried (a couple months ago), due to a dependency that couldn't be fulfilled, and though it runs fine in antiX and anitX is great on my Core2Quad, Chrome for Linux won't run Java (apparently it does just fine with Java on Windows). I'll have to look at Pipelight; if I could run both current Flash and current Java from my preferred browser (SeaMonkey), without having to boot out of Mepis to antiX, I'd be a pretty happy guy on Internet game nights.

Edit: Ummm... I don't see Pipelight in the Mepis repos. Where might I find it in .deb form, or will I have to install it as a tarball?
MEPIS 11 64-bit, MSI P6NGM-L motherboard, Core 2 Quad 9400 2.67 GHz, 4 GiB PC2-5300 RAM, 1 GiB nVidia GT520 on PCI Express x16.

Return to “Security”