Welcome!

Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-17 beta 2 release info here
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-17 release info here
    New users
    • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
    • Read Forum Rules

Another security update for Adobe Flash available

Here users can ask questions about security and tutorials about security can be posted to help others, too.
Silent Observer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Another security update for Adobe Flash available

#81 Postby Silent Observer » Mon May 26, 2014 5:52 pm

I think Mozilla reasonably concludes that they don't have enough Linux users to make it worthwhile rewriting their browser's internals to support a Flash plugin that can only be legally obtained by installing a competing product. The whole Pepper Flash issue only affects Linux and SunOS; Windows (and Mac, as I recall) have a system-wide Flash installation that supports all browsers.

In fact, that's how I've solved my own Flash/Java conflict; I installed Firefox for Windows under Wine, along with the current Flash 13 and Java 7u55 plugins for Windows. Once I found how to open the Java control panel to lower the security so it can run unsigned applets, I get an up-to-date result from both flashtester.org and javatester.org -- and don't have to reboot into antiX to be able to use anything Flash as was previously the case.
MEPIS 11 64-bit, MSI P6NGM-L motherboard, Core 2 Quad 9400 2.67 GHz, 4 GiB PC2-5300 RAM, 1 GiB nVidia GT520 on PCI Express x16.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#82 Postby Stevo » Mon May 26, 2014 6:47 pm

I see the latest Google Chrome 35 has dumped support for any NPAPI plugins, so Veetle is right out. We're limited to what ships with Chrome...one of which is DRM for HTML5, I see:

Widevine Content Decryption Module - Version: 1.4.4.600
Enables Widevine licenses for playback of HTML audio/video content.

Does this mean there's no Java plugin support? Hmmm, yes, it's gone, along with Pipelight.

Silent Observer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#83 Postby Silent Observer » Sat May 31, 2014 8:00 am

Stevo wrote:I see the latest Google Chrome 35 has dumped support for any NPAPI plugins, so Veetle is right out. We're limited to what ships with Chrome...one of which is DRM for HTML5, I see:

<snip>

Does this mean there's no Java plugin support? Hmmm, yes, it's gone, along with Pipelight.

I found Chrome (Linux) wouldn't run Java applets several weeks ago. Unfortunately, I've also found in the past week or so that running Windows Firefox in Wine, despite reporting up to date Java plugin with the internal plugin checker and via javatester.org, won't actually run the Java games I installed it to get (High Stakes Pool on pogo.com is a good example). I'm going to start another thread on getting pipelight to install on MEPIS 11; it looks like that's going to be the only way to get one browser to run both Java and Flash with up to date plugins.
MEPIS 11 64-bit, MSI P6NGM-L motherboard, Core 2 Quad 9400 2.67 GHz, 4 GiB PC2-5300 RAM, 1 GiB nVidia GT520 on PCI Express x16.

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#84 Postby joany » Sat May 31, 2014 9:19 am

Silent Observer wrote:I found Chrome (Linux) wouldn't run Java applets several weeks ago. Unfortunately, I've also found in the past week or so that running Windows Firefox in Wine, despite reporting up to date Java plugin with the internal plugin checker and via javatester.org, won't actually run the Java games I installed it to get (High Stakes Pool on pogo.com is a good example). I'm going to start another thread on getting pipelight to install on MEPIS 11; it looks like that's going to be the only way to get one browser to run both Java and Flash with up to date plugins.

Yes, sadly it seems that Chrome has abandoned Linux and only supports Java in Windows. There are only two sets of instructions for installing Java in Chrome: Windows and Mac, and the instructions for Mac says only that Apple supplies their own plug-in.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

Silent Observer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#85 Postby Silent Observer » Sat May 31, 2014 9:26 am

joany wrote:
Silent Observer wrote:I found Chrome (Linux) wouldn't run Java applets several weeks ago. Unfortunately, I've also found in the past week or so that running Windows Firefox in Wine, despite reporting up to date Java plugin with the internal plugin checker and via javatester.org, won't actually run the Java games I installed it to get (High Stakes Pool on pogo.com is a good example). I'm going to start another thread on getting pipelight to install on MEPIS 11; it looks like that's going to be the only way to get one browser to run both Java and Flash with up to date plugins.

Yes, sadly it seems that Chrome has abandoned Linux and only supports Java in Windows. There are only two sets of instructions for installing Java in Chrome: Windows and Mac, and the instructions for Mac says only that Apple supplies their own plug-in.

Odd that Google would abandon Linux, given that the core of their empire (Android) is Linux-based. Still, another "business decision" (a phrase that seems to be morphing to mean "we're going to put short term profitability ahead of keeping the future open"); not enough Linux users (and those aren't paying) to be worth spending the money.

Bottom line, there has to be a way to get both Flash and Java, in the same browser, in Linux (given those, between them, are most of what makes the Web something other than just a text/picture library).

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#86 Postby joany » Sat May 31, 2014 9:48 am

Silent Observer wrote:Odd that Google would abandon Linux, given that the core of their "); not enough Linux users (and those aren't paying) to be worth spending the money.

Bottom line, there has to be a way to get both Flash and Java, in the same browser, in Linux (given those, between them, are most of what makes the Web something other than just a text/picture library).

I agree. Mozilla say they're "not interested" in the Pepper flash plug-in, which tells me they're "not interested" in Linux either. Everything is very much a "business decision" as far as these folks are concerned. Richard Stallman is right: You just can't trust proprietary software.

However, I'm optimistic in the long term. Linux coders are very good at hacking and reverse engineering stuff. I'm sure an up-to-date flash plugin in OSS form will eventually emerge from their underground laboratories. It's just a matter of time (and priorities).
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#87 Postby kmathern » Sat May 31, 2014 10:01 am

What they've abandoned are the NPAPI plugins. The 11.2.202.xxx flash plugin & the java plugin are NPAPI plugins.

Chrome & Chromium (installed by using pepperflashplugin-nonfree) will allow you to use the PPAPI flashplugin (13.xxx flash). The freshplayer wrapper/extension that Stevo mentioned earlier in this thread will allow you to use the 13.xxx flash with firefox (and I assume also with other mozilla type browsers - iceweasel, seamonkey).

I don't know what to do about the java plugin. In the browser about the only thing I use the java plugin for is to verify that I have the most recent java version at the java test page (http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp), so I can't really say I'm missing anything.

Silent Observer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#88 Postby Silent Observer » Sat May 31, 2014 10:44 am

kmathern wrote:What they've abandoned are the NPAPI plugins. The 11.2.202.xxx flash plugin & the java plugin are NPAPI plugins.

Chrome & Chromium (installed by using pepperflashplugin-nonfree) will allow you to use the PPAPI flashplugin (13.xxx flash). The freshplayer wrapper/extension that Stevo mentioned earlier in this thread will allow you to use the 13.xxx flash with firefox (and I assume also with other mozilla type browsers - iceweasel, seamonkey).

I don't know what to do about the java plugin. In the browser about the only thing I use the java plugin for is to verify that I have the most recent java version at the java test page (http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp), so I can't really say I'm missing anything.

I didn't catch that Freshplayer would do that. If it will, I won't need pipelight (don't care if I have silverlight, but Flash is important to me).

Edit: I don't see where that will help much; Google Chrome won't install in MEPIS 11 (last I tried), which means pepper-flash-plugin package also won't work. So even if I can make SeaMonkey support Pepper Flash, I can't install Pepper Flash...

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#89 Postby kmathern » Sat May 31, 2014 10:56 am

Silent Observer wrote:Edit: I don't see where that will help much; Google Chrome won't install in MEPIS 11 (last I tried), which means pepper-flash-plugin package also won't work. So even if I can make SeaMonkey support Pepper Flash, I can't install Pepper Flash...

I was going to say it's only a solution for something Wheezy based or newer (MX14 or MEPIS 12). I think it's also only for CPUs with SSE2 support.

arjaybe
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#90 Postby arjaybe » Sat May 31, 2014 11:54 am

Silent Observer wrote:Bottom line, there has to be a way to get both Flash and Java, in the same browser, in Linux (given those, between them, are most of what makes the Web something other than just a text/picture library).

I never use java and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is the long-awaited death of flash. My Internet is fine without them.
Intel Celeron 1007U with integrated HD Graphics 2500, 4GB RAM

The question is half the size of the universe, and the answer takes up the other half.

Green Comet

Return to “Security”