Welcome!

Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-17 beta 1 release info here
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-17 release info here
    New users
    • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
    • Read Forum Rules

Another security update for Adobe Flash available

Here users can ask questions about security and tutorials about security can be posted to help others, too.
Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Another security update for Adobe Flash available

#1 Postby Stevo » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:42 am

Code: Select all

# update-flashplugin-nonfree --status
Flash Player version installed on this system  : 11.2.202.341
Flash Player version available on upstream site: 11.2.202.346

However, it hasn't yet made its way into the Debian site that the Debian updater gets Flash from.
This'll be the first test for the MX flash auto-updater when it does become available.

We should have the MX-Flash app available in the MEPIS CR pretty soon, too. Adrian made sure it was portable.

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Another security update for Adobe Flash available

#2 Postby kmathern » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:33 am

MX-14 RC2 has MX-Flash preinstalled, but it doesn't have the automatic update enabled (the /etc/cron.daily/flashupdate script).

I'm wondering if maybe MX-14 final should ship with the /etc/cron.daily/flashupdate script preinstalled?

This is the /etc/cron.daily/flashupdate script that gets installed when you run MX-Flash and enable automatic updates:

#!/bin/sh

grep -q "^flags.*\<sse2\>" /proc/cpuinfo || exit 0

test -x /usr/sbin/update-flashplugin-nonfree && /usr/sbin/update-flashplugin-nonfree --install --quiet

In a Live session or new MX install, with the script preinstalled, flash will autoupdate to the latest flash that's available from the Debian site within the first 30 or so minutes.
{In a Live session of MX you might've noticed that the apt-notifier notifies about package updates being available within the first 30 minutes after being started, flash would autoupdate shortly after that}

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Postby Jerry3904 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:41 am

Seems like a good idea to me. Why don't you put that in the MX Tracker?
Production: 4.7.0-0.bpo.1-amd64, MX-15 RC1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 3.16-0-4-686-pae. MX-15, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Postby kmathern » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:06 pm

Jerry3904 wrote:Seems like a good idea to me. Why don't you put that in the MX Tracker?
Under which category?

richb
Administrator

#5 Postby richb » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:10 pm

kmathern wrote:
Jerry3904 wrote:Seems like a good idea to me. Why don't you put that in the MX Tracker?
Under which category?

request
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX-15- 64 - migrated to MX-16 RC1
HD Test: MX-16 RC1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, fglrx driver, 16 GIG Mem. Samsung EVO SSD 250 GB, 350 GB HD

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Postby Jerry3904 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:11 pm

Request, I think. Somebody can always change it later if need be.

Thanks.
Production: 4.7.0-0.bpo.1-amd64, MX-15 RC1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 3.16-0-4-686-pae. MX-15, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

ko
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#7 Postby ko » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:04 pm

kmathern wrote:MX-14 RC2 has MX-Flash preinstalled, but it doesn't have the automatic update enabled (the /etc/cron.daily/flashupdate script).

I'm wondering if maybe MX-14 final should ship with the /etc/cron.daily/flashupdate script preinstalled?

This is the /etc/cron.daily/flashupdate script that gets installed when you run MX-Flash and enable automatic updates:

#!/bin/sh

grep -q "^flags.*\<sse2\>" /proc/cpuinfo || exit 0

test -x /usr/sbin/update-flashplugin-nonfree && /usr/sbin/update-flashplugin-nonfree --install --quiet

In a Live session or new MX install, with the script preinstalled, flash will autoupdate to the latest flash that's available from the Debian site within the first 30 or so minutes.
{In a Live session of MX you might've noticed that the apt-notifier notifies about package updates being available within the first 30 minutes after being started, flash would autoupdate shortly after that}

I created the flashupdate script, put it in /etc/cron.daily/ and set the permissions (same as the other scripts).
Then started MX-flash and selected update flash and enabled automatic updates. And rebooted, just to make sure....

Now we wait.....:-)
Ko Bros Linux User #312596.  MX14.4, MX14.3, Mepis 12, Debian 7, antiX 15, Peppermint 5...and sometimes Win7

anticapitalista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#8 Postby anticapitalista » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:46 pm

Personally I don't think it is good practice to have the script already set up a cron job (or any script to run a cron job). It is up to users to do that, not developers and we do provide an extremely easy way for users to do so.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX-15 "Killah P!" - lean and mean.
http://antix.mepis.org

richb
Administrator

#9 Postby richb » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:52 pm

anticapitalista wrote:Personally I don't think it is good practice to have the script already set up a cron job (or any script to run a cron job). It is up to users to do that, not developers and we do provide an extremely easy way for users to do so.

Except in cases where it is required for the app, like apt notifier. (I assume that is set up with a cron job). Updating flash is not in that category, and I tend to agree with your point.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX-15- 64 - migrated to MX-16 RC1
HD Test: MX-16 RC1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, fglrx driver, 16 GIG Mem. Samsung EVO SSD 250 GB, 350 GB HD

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#10 Postby kmathern » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:07 pm

anticapitalista wrote:Personally I don't think it is good practice to have the script already set up a cron job (or any script to run a cron job). It is up to users to do that, not developers and we do provide an extremely easy way for users to do so.
I would agree with that if MX didn't come with flash preinstalled, but it is preinstalled so I think the autoupdate cron script should be also preinstalled to make sure that flash gets updated to a secure version as soon as possible.

Some users might not be aware of the update/autoupdate feature and could end up running for a long time with an outdated flash version.

Return to “Security”