-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Another security update for Adobe Flash available

Here users can ask questions about security and tutorials about security can be posted to help others, too.
Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Another security update for Adobe Flash available

#91 Post by Stevo » Sat May 31, 2014 12:03 pm

Fresh Player also "just works" with Qupzilla and Konqueror, but not with Opera. I think with Opera, you can tell it where the plugin is located, but I can't find the preferences menu.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#92 Post by lucky9 » Sat May 31, 2014 12:40 pm

arjaybe wrote:
Silent Observer wrote:Bottom line, there has to be a way to get both Flash and Java, in the same browser, in Linux (given those, between them, are most of what makes the Web something other than just a text/picture library).
I never use java and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is the long-awaited death of flash. My Internet is fine without them.
I've had serious security concerns with Java and Flash. Flash stuff doesn't run unless I let it run. Java is off by default in my main two Browsers.
One page was what 'broke the camel's back' as far as Flash was concerned. Animated ads ought to be illegal.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Silent Observer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#93 Post by Silent Observer » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:45 am

arjaybe wrote:
Silent Observer wrote:Bottom line, there has to be a way to get both Flash and Java, in the same browser, in Linux (given those, between them, are most of what makes the Web something other than just a text/picture library).
I never use java and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is the long-awaited death of flash. My Internet is fine without them.
My Internet is most definitely not fine without them -- I have no use for Facebook, haven't looked at Twitter in weeks and likely won't again (signed up to try to keep track of my nieces, good luck with that), but I enjoy playing games on sites like Yahoo! Games and pogo.com; it's my main contact with a foreign friend. Until those games are rewritten to use HTML5 instead of Java and Flash, I need Java and Flash (in versions they'll accept!) to work. Most shopping sites require Flash, too -- and there are a lot of things that are a PITA to find locally even in a three-city cluster of close to a million people (and if "locally" means I have to drive 25 miles or so each way to pick up, I'm better off paying shipping from Oregon or California, unless I need it today).

Then there's the whole question of what'll happen when (inevitably) security holes crop up in HTML5 implementations without companies like Oracle or Adobe (or Google) upstream to quickly patch them. At least with Flash bugs (prior to the Adobe/Google division between Windows and Linux) we could reasonably count on a bug fix within a few days to a couple weeks of discovery of a new security problem. How long will that take when it requires modifying the HTML5 standard?
MEPIS 11 64-bit, MSI P6NGM-L motherboard, Core 2 Quad 9400 2.67 GHz, 4 GiB PC2-5300 RAM, 1 GiB nVidia GT520 on PCI Express x16.

Return to “Security”