Welcome!

Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-17 beta 1 release info here
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-17 release info here
    New users
    • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
    • Read Forum Rules

Cloud Computing Becoming Mandatory

Here users can ask questions about security and tutorials about security can be posted to help others, too.
Gaer Boy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: Cloud Computing Becoming Mandatory

#11 Postby Gaer Boy » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:51 am

tascoast wrote:I thought the NSA was just a cloud backup mirror .... :p

Looks like it is - and for things you wouldn't want to share widely!
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/27/gchq-nsa-webcam-images-internet-yahoo

AsRock FM2A88X-ITX+, A8-6500, 8GB, 120GB Samsung SSD (GPT), 1TB HDD (MBR), MX-16
Lenovo Thinkpad X220, dual-core i5, 3MB, 320GB Hitachi HDD, Win7, MX-16.1

ko
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#12 Postby ko » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:28 am

No, it's for Everything.... Read and Weep:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/0 ... atacenter/
Ko Bros Linux User #312596.  MX14.4, MX14.3, Mepis 12, Debian 7, antiX 15, Peppermint 5...and sometimes Win7

richb
Administrator

#13 Postby richb » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:56 am

qtech wrote:
richb wrote: And yes he is overstating..

You've said that twice now yet have offered no explanation of your opinion. Now I grant you, as Linux users we do have a choice but we represent 1-2% of a market share consisting of hundreds of millions of users. The average user does not know exactly what Linux is nor do they recognize the freedoms it offers.

The Windows and Apple environments are a completely different story. Dell, Lenovo, Acer and Asus all now have some sort of 'free' cloud storage offerings on every computer they sell. Entire businesses are now operated solely off of cloud based apps. Personal music collections are certainly headed to the cloud. Windows 8/8.1 with its 'new' walled-garden concept is obviously pushing the cloud very hard. Chromebook? All cloud based. Heck, the whole "cloud" concept is nothing but a marketing scheme with a single goal in mind. What do you suppose that goal is, Rich?

Tell me how exactly is the author "overstating"?

Because a person can opt out. Lack of knowledge of options does not mean someone is being forced.. The cloud is becoming pervasive, I am not arguing that it is not. The only thing that I took exception with is his using the word forced. Forced implies having no choice. Persuaded, made convenient, yes, forced no.

You may disagree with me, but I trust I explained my thinking to your satisfaction.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX-15- 64 - migrated to MX-16 RC1
HD Test: MX-16 RC1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, fglrx driver, 16 GIG Mem. Samsung EVO SSD 250 GB, 350 GB HD

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#14 Postby uncle mark » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:20 pm

richb wrote:Because a person can opt out. Lack of knowledge of options does not mean someone is being forced.. The cloud is becoming pervasive, I am not arguing that it is not. The only thing that I took exception with is his using the word forced. Forced implies having no choice. Persuaded, made convenient, yes, forced no.

Well stated. Of course, Joe User is too ignorant to know what is actually going on, that he has a choice, and why he should care.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#15 Postby Adrian » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:01 pm

Persuaded, made convenient, yes, forced no.

I agree, besides if you use a smart phone you are already connected in multiple ways and your location is always tracked, the article mentioned that you can not longer sync with a cable somebody who is paranoid should not use smart phones in the first place (or cell phones in general if you don't want other people to know your location), transferring pictures through a company's server is the least worry they should have if you are a paranoid type. As for transferring pictures, I don't see the problem to connect your phone with a USB cable and browse your picture storage and copy and paste from there, it's not as convenient as having them automatically loaded to some server but it's perfectly doable, I did that with my Android, I'm not sure but I think it's possible to do the same with iPhone if you have the right software installed.

BTW, talking about photo sync, I use BTSync on my phone and that syncs photos directly to my computer. No server is involved. Sure the Bittorrent Sync might have some unknown vulnerability, but that's the kind of risks ones assumes when they connect to the Internet. Privacy/security is a trade off, if I worked undercover to overturn a government and risk my life I would take other precautions than when I upload cat pictures to Apple or Google servers.

fleabus
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#16 Postby fleabus » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:28 pm

uncle mark wrote:Well stated.
I have to agree. We're only as involved with this kind of thing as we choose to be. While I'm as outraged as anyone over privacy simply because I have a right to it, Well, it's the times, and there's not much we can do about it. So we choose not to use services we don't want any part of. Meanwhile if the NSA wants my cat pictures that badly, why they're certainly welcome.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#17 Postby lucky9 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:22 pm

richb wrote:I do not get the forcing part. Nobody can force you to use the cloud.

That's a very narrow definition of forcing richb. If you've bought Apple products and find that an 'update' causes changes that you have to use if you want to use 'your' computer/phone/tablet.

And I suspect it's only a matter of time before some smart young MBA thinks of charging by the bit for their company's Cloud Service. So that in addition to bandwidth costs there will be storage fees.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

richb
Administrator

#18 Postby richb » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:06 pm

lucky9 wrote:
richb wrote:I do not get the forcing part. Nobody can force you to use the cloud.

That's a very narrow definition of forcing richb. If you've bought Apple products and find that an 'update' causes changes that you have to use if you want to use 'your' computer/phone/tablet.

And I suspect it's only a matter of time before some smart young MBA thinks of charging by the bit for their company's Cloud Service. So that in addition to bandwidth costs there will be storage fees.

You are not forced to buy Apple products. It is not a narrow definition it is the definition. We are subject to all kinds of coercion. Just watch 30 minutes of television on a commercial network and you are barraged by commercials which cajole, play on your emotions and brow beat to get you to buy their products. But you are not forced to, you have a choice.

EDIT:On reflection it may be a narrow definition. But that does not change my view that no one has to buy into the cloud.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX-15- 64 - migrated to MX-16 RC1
HD Test: MX-16 RC1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, fglrx driver, 16 GIG Mem. Samsung EVO SSD 250 GB, 350 GB HD

arjaybe
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#19 Postby arjaybe » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:06 pm

It's only mandatory if one wants to use one's devices as they are designed to be used.
Intel Celeron 1007U with integrated HD Graphics 2500, 4GB RAM

The question is half the size of the universe, and the answer takes up the other half.

Green Comet

qtech
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#20 Postby qtech » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:08 pm

richb wrote:
qtech wrote:
richb wrote: And yes he is overstating..

You've said that twice now yet have offered no explanation of your opinion. Now I grant you, as Linux users we do have a choice but we represent 1-2% of a market share consisting of hundreds of millions of users. The average user does not know exactly what Linux is nor do they recognize the freedoms it offers.

The Windows and Apple environments are a completely different story. Dell, Lenovo, Acer and Asus all now have some sort of 'free' cloud storage offerings on every computer they sell. Entire businesses are now operated solely off of cloud based apps. Personal music collections are certainly headed to the cloud. Windows 8/8.1 with its 'new' walled-garden concept is obviously pushing the cloud very hard. Chromebook? All cloud based. Heck, the whole "cloud" concept is nothing but a marketing scheme with a single goal in mind. What do you suppose that goal is, Rich?

Tell me how exactly is the author "overstating"?

Because a person can opt out. Lack of knowledge of options does not mean someone is being forced.. The cloud is becoming pervasive, I am not arguing that it is not. The only thing that I took exception with is his using the word forced. Forced implies having no choice. Persuaded, made convenient, yes, forced no.

You may disagree with me, but I trust I explained my thinking to your satisfaction.

Actually Rich, I do agree with you on this point as it is cogent. But here is the irony- If you read the fine print at the end of the article, you will note the following:

"This article was originally published with the title "The Curse of the Cloud."

Nowhere does the author mention "force". It only appears in the title of the article which was chosen by Scientific American, obviously to sensationalize the content. These are not the authors words. Had you initially been more clear with regards to the nature of the "overstatement", I would not have felt the urge to defend the author's point.

Return to “Security”