LibreOffice 6.2?

Adrian
Developer

LibreOffice 6.2?

#1 Post by Adrian »

I saw this post on reddit:
Hi all, I'm wondering why LO 6.2 hasn't made it yet to MXLinux (although it's been stable for a while). I checked the testing and backports section of the quick package installer and couldn't find it.

I don't want to install from outside the repos; anybody knows why it's not there yet?
https://www.reddit.com/r/MXLinux/commen ... office_62/

Any chance to get 6.2 in Test repo?

dreamer

Re: LibreOffice 6.2?

#2 Post by dreamer »

Adrian wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 1:36 pm I saw this post on reddit:
Hi all, I'm wondering why LO 6.2 hasn't made it yet to MXLinux (although it's been stable for a while). I checked the testing and backports section of the quick package installer and couldn't find it.

I don't want to install from outside the repos; anybody knows why it's not there yet?
https://www.reddit.com/r/MXLinux/commen ... office_62/

Any chance to get 6.2 in Test repo?
I can probably answer that quote. Last time LO was updated several settings were changed. Several users complained, myself included. I don't know if LO overrode the settings or if MX Linux somehow didn't transfer settings properly to the new version.

I do believe it was Libre Office, but I don't know, because when I had restored my settings I was too tired to find out whose "fault" it was. I think LO is a pretty problematic update in general, because it's a productivity application with a lot of settings.

Lately LO seems to have changed more so it should go through the test repo phase. It could be included as is on new release ISO, because then people are starting fresh anyway.

PS The LO AppImages are an excellent way to try a new version.

Adrian
Developer

#3 Post by Adrian »

I can probably answer that quote. Last time LO was updated several settings were changed. Several users complained, myself included
We have LO 6.1.5 in Test, if 6.2 could be built it should also go in Test and not be forced as a upgrade on users.

dreamer

#4 Post by dreamer »

Adrian wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:47 pm
I can probably answer that quote. Last time LO was updated several settings were changed. Several users complained, myself included
We have LO 6.1.5 in Test, if 6.2 could be built it should also go in Test and not be forced as a upgrade on users.
I trust LO less today than I used to. If LO changed default settings between version 5 and 6 these new defaults should not have been given to upgrading users.

On Windows I tried 6.1.5 and that felt similar to version 6. On Windows version 6.2 broke the UI slightly (some things looked ugly).

I think version 6.1.5 (stable version) is probable a better upgrade for MX Linux than 6.2 (fresh version). 6.2 does bring some new things, but at least on Windows 6.2 broke small things related to the UI. I only tried it for a short while before uninstalling and installing 6.1.5 instead.

Stevo
Developer

#5 Post by Stevo »

Backports now has a very slightly newer version than our test repo 6.1.5.

Debian Experimental had 6.2 at one time, but now has 6.3.0 alpha1. Backporting Libreoffice is beyond me at the moment; it takes an expert to add bundled source to build on Stretch that is already shared libraries upstream and then change the build configurations.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#6 Post by Jerry3904 »

People who want it should do a direct download. I posted directions recently that you can find with s quick search.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

dreamer

#7 Post by dreamer »

Stevo wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 5:27 pm Backports now has a very slightly newer version than our test repo 6.1.5.

Debian Experimental had 6.2 at one time, but now has 6.3.0 alpha1. Backporting Libreoffice is beyond me at the moment; it takes an expert to add bundled source to build on Stretch that is already shared libraries upstream and then change the build configurations.
I see. The current version of LO in MX Linux was pulled in from Debian backports repo. I don't use LO that much anymore. I'm willing to install a newer version. If LO gets upgraded in MX Linux I guess it will be the version from test repo or backports repo. Which version should I install?

I guess the test repo version labeled mx17 was built by you Stevo and backports repo version built by Debian maintainers.

Current LO version being a bpo version clears you and MX Linux from responsibility for the version 5 to 6 upgrade. ;) Either Debian maintainers didn't migrate settings properly or LO didn't.

Return to “Package Requests/Status - MX 17/18”