Package request: MultiSystem thread ->EZ2B

asqwerth
Developer

Re: Package request: MultiSystem thread

#21 Post by asqwerth »

I used to use it long ago (around 2013-2015, because at that time I was running WattOS based on Ubuntu) but found it less convenient than easy2boot, which Richard introduced to me on this forum.

For easy2boot you just treat it as a storage thumb drive. Plug it in whatever distro you're running, save or delete iso like any file (making sure to keep to a First In Last Out order so that the files saved are contiguous), and that's it.

There's no need for an additional script installed on your computer to run the add/remove process. Sure, there's more that multisystem does, like Qemu. But I run VM on my computer via VB anyway, so I never used the other functions of multisystem.

Maybe if I ever go full UEFI, I will switch since I'm not sure easy2boot is fully UEFI compatible. But then I haven't created a fresh easy2boot thumb drive for a long time and don't know what the latest easy2boot versions are like.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Richard

#22 Post by Richard »

I don't use uefi either but Easy2Boot does provide a path:
http://www.easy2boot.com/useful-things-to-know/
Just something to keep in mind.

After just rebuilding my EZ2B USB in a few minutes, then copying my backup ISOs and utility ISOs with Thunar which takes normal copying time I really can't think of a reason to change. I can easily boot the USB & choose whichever I want --to take a look, install, reinstall, copy out a portion of any original config file that I might have broken, etc.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

crazysquirrel

#23 Post by crazysquirrel »

if you try multisystem do so while using mint 17.3 KDE.

I have used multisystem for years (ever since Mint 13 KDE actually). Works fine for most distro's (but there are a few rogue distros that do not adhere to proper protocol).

Once you get Multisystem up and running and flash drive set, it is pretty easy to put ISO's on it. A PITA though to have to keep inputting your password in each time but after you get the flash drive done, no need anymore.
Mx 19.2 XFCE, dual boot with XP Media Center Edition 2005, core i5, 8gb ram, WD 500GB NvMe drive (4 lanes) + other storage drives.

skidoo

#24 Post by skidoo »

there are a few rogue distros that do not adhere to proper protocol

Richard

#25 Post by Richard »

Thanks for the experiment with MultiSystem.

It taught me that Easy2Boot does what I need in providing a place to store multiple ISOs for trial and install with much less hassle.

And that MultiSystem works on Ubuntu and derivatives which I don't expect to need.

towwire

#26 Post by towwire »

Richard wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:29 pm Thanks for the experiment with MultiSystem.

It taught me that Easy2Boot does what I need in providing a place to store multiple ISOs for trial and install with much less hassle.

And that MultiSystem works on Ubuntu and derivatives which I don't expect to need.
I agree except for Easy2Boot statment since I've not been able to make one lately that will boot.
It is easier to fight for one's principles then to live up to them.

Richard

#27 Post by Richard »

@towwire, Here's the official version:
http://www.easy2boot.com/make-an-easy2b ... ing-linux/

And here's what I do:

Code: Select all

Installing EZ2Boot, using only Linux	by Richard Holt, 190321

I. Insert at least a 4 GB USB device to be dedicated for preparing an EZ2BOOT USB device. 
2 GB is barely useful while 8, 16 or 32 GB require less frequent rebuilding to correct 
incontiguous ISOs, which will stop EZ2B from booting the ISO. I always just reformat and rebuild,
which seems to be quicker. Don't erase and try to write another, breaks continuity.   
	A. Use gparted to create 2 partitions on the USB. I'm using /dev/sdb1 & /dev/sdb2, 
	in this tutorial. 
	B. sdb1: format /dev/sdb1 as fat32, (Total Size-35 MB), label=E2B, flag as "boot", just in case. 
	C. sdb2: format /dev/sdb2 as fat32, 35 MB, label=FAT. Not used directly, just helps detection. 
	D. Supposedly, you can use fat32, ntfs or exfat, but ntfs has never worked for me. fat32 does. 

II. Getting the files
	A. Download a [b]current Easy2Boot[/b] from [b]http://www.easy2boot.com/download/[/b]
	or here is the latest stable complete: 
	[b]https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LnlZIIZnxHz4ulrF3BdL0FTF9rPeCOtE[/b]
	or this one if you don't need to work with WinXP:
	[b]https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fp9F_vdqWByoWCcRcYs8KAYY5_iyjSar[/b]
	and 	extract all the files in the zip to the root directory of the EZB drive you are building,
	B. Download a current grub4dos, 
	[b]https://code.google.com/p/grub4dos-chenall/downloads/list[/b]
	and extract the archive onto your PC (NOT on the USB stick). 
	C. The grub4dos author seems to release a stable and a testing version but I'm unclear 
	on their versioning and release scheme at present. For this once-current batch of releases,
	grub4dos-0.4.5c-2013-07-24.7z worked fine on desktops, laptops and netbooks; although,
	grub4dos-0.4.6a-2013-07-24.7z does not; so, try an older or newer G4D version if you get 
	an error like 'This is not a bootable device' when you try booting off a E2B/G4D enabled drive.
	D. Find where you unpacked the Easy2Boot packages. On my system it is located here:
	/media/DATA/CDs/0-Easy2Boot/Easy2Boot_v1.A6/ and the linux_utils a bit below that, in:
	/media/DATA/CDs/0-Easy2Boot/Easy2Boot_v1.A6/_ISO/docs/linux_utils/
	(Adjust for where you unpacked your copy.)
		1. Now, open a terminal in */linux_utils/ and then, first, execute: 
			$ blkid
			to determine the location of your USB device; I'm using sdb for these examples.
		2. Then, to install grub4dos on your USB drive, run bootlace from WITHIN the dir:
			cd /media/DATA/CDs/0-Easy2Boot/Easy2Boot_v1.A6/_ISO/docs/linux_utils/
			** BE SURE you use the right device SHOWN BY BLKID for bootlace or bootlace64.
			$ sudo ./bootlace64.com --time-out=0 /dev/sdb
			or	$ sudo ./bootlace.com --time-out=0 /dev/sdb  	# if on 32 bit.
			to install grub4dos to the MBR of the specified device 
		3. Doublecheck with `df` and `fdisk -l`, if you have any doubts. 

III. Finally, copy some Linux ISOs to the _ISO/MAINMENU/ directory then reboot! 
	Make sure your machine is set to boot off USB storage, although many devices 
	will let you enter the boot menu by pushing F11 or F12 when they are booting 
	BIOS/UEFI or follow the prompts for your equipment. 

IV.	 Recomend reading the documentation for Linux installs on the website for comparison.
Let me know if you have problems or something doesn't make sense.
Saludos.

towwire

#28 Post by towwire »

Richard wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:40 pm @towwire, Here's the official version:
http://www.easy2boot.com/make-an-easy2b ... ing-linux/

And here's what I do:

Installing EZ2Boot, using only Linux	by Richard Holt, 190321

I. Insert at least a 4 GB USB device to be dedicated for preparing an EZ2BOOT USB device. 
2 GB is barely useful while 8, 16 or 32 GB require less frequent rebuilding to correct 
incontiguous ISOs, which will stop EZ2B from booting the ISO. I always just reformat and rebuild,
which seems to be quicker. Don't erase and try to write another, breaks continuity.   
	A. Use gparted to create 2 partitions on the USB. I'm using /dev/sdb1 & /dev/sdb2, 
	in this tutorial. 
	B. sdb1: format /dev/sdb1 as fat32, (Total Size-35 MB), label=E2B, flag as "boot", just in case. 
	C. sdb2: format /dev/sdb2 as fat32, 35 MB, label=FAT. Not used directly, just helps detection. 
	D. Supposedly, you can use fat32, ntfs or exfat, but ntfs has never worked for me. fat32 does. 

II. Getting the files
	A. Download a [b]current Easy2Boot[/b] from [b]http://www.easy2boot.com/download/[/b]
	or here is the latest stable complete: 
	[b]https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LnlZIIZnxHz4ulrF3BdL0FTF9rPeCOtE[/b]
	or this one if you don't need to work with WinXP:
	[b]https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fp9F_vdqWByoWCcRcYs8KAYY5_iyjSar[/b]
	and 	extract all the files in the zip to the root directory of the EZB drive you are building,
	B. Download a current grub4dos, 
	[b]https://code.google.com/p/grub4dos-chenall/downloads/list[/b]
	and extract the archive onto your PC (NOT on the USB stick). 
	C. The grub4dos author seems to release a stable and a testing version but I'm unclear 
	on their versioning and release scheme at present. For this once-current batch of releases,
	grub4dos-0.4.5c-2013-07-24.7z worked fine on desktops, laptops and netbooks; although,
	grub4dos-0.4.6a-2013-07-24.7z does not; so, try an older or newer G4D version if you get 
	an error like 'This is not a bootable device' when you try booting off a E2B/G4D enabled drive.
	D. Find where you unpacked the Easy2Boot packages. On my system it is located here:
	/media/DATA/CDs/0-Easy2Boot/Easy2Boot_v1.A6/ and the linux_utils a bit below that, in:
	/media/DATA/CDs/0-Easy2Boot/Easy2Boot_v1.A6/_ISO/docs/linux_utils/
	(Adjust for where you unpacked your copy.)
		1. Now, open a terminal in */linux_utils/ and then, first, execute: 
			$ blkid
			to determine the location of your USB device; I'm using sdb for these examples.
		2. Then, to install grub4dos on your USB drive, run bootlace from WITHIN the dir:
			cd /media/DATA/CDs/0-Easy2Boot/Easy2Boot_v1.A6/_ISO/docs/linux_utils/
			** BE SURE you use the right device SHOWN BY BLKID for bootlace or bootlace64.
			$ sudo ./bootlace64.com --time-out=0 /dev/sdb
			or	$ sudo ./bootlace.com --time-out=0 /dev/sdb  	# if on 32 bit.
			to install grub4dos to the MBR of the specified device 
		3. Doublecheck with `df` and `fdisk -l`, if you have any doubts. 

III. Finally, copy some Linux ISOs to the _ISO/MAINMENU/ directory then reboot! 
	Make sure your machine is set to boot off USB storage, although many devices 
	will let you enter the boot menu by pushing F11 or F12 when they are booting 
	BIOS/UEFI or follow the prompts for your equipment. 

IV.	 Recomend reading the documentation for Linux installs on the website for comparison.
Let me know if you have problems or something doesn't make sense.
Saludos.
I had a old version and always use it. Started having trouble but could not find it, to start a fresh one. I have use the last 4 versions and I always end up with one that will not boot, that's on 3 different machines and using different 3 different brands usb's. Here is part of what I got today.

Is target device (/dev/sdd1) correct (y/n) : y

Partition = 1
Formatting: /dev/sdd1

Proceed with formatting (y/n): y
mkfs.fat 4.1 (2017-01-24)
Making partition 1 active using parted...
Mounting /dev/sdd1 as /mnt/myusb
Installing grub4dos to MBR
sudo: unable to execute /mnt/MyData/ISO_Files/Easy2Boot_v1.A9/_ISO/docs/linux_utils/bootlace.com: Permission denied
Installing grub4dos to PBR
sudo: unable to execute /mnt/MyData/ISO_Files/Easy2Boot_v1.A9/_ISO/docs/linux_utils/bootlace.com: Permission denied
Copying /mnt/MyData/ISO_Files/Easy2Boot_v1.A9/_ISO/docs/linux_utils/../../../ to /mnt/myusb...
Today I only did one partition instead of the two. All the files get copied and I don't transfer any ISO's since it should boot so why wast more time to copy them to the usb if wont boot any way..

Richard

#29 Post by Richard »

On the USB, create a new partition table with gparted, then create and format partions as fat32.

Remove, replace the USB.
Run bootlace64 from it's directory from where you unpacked it.

Sounds as if you are doing something different.
I'll think it over and write a script. Something is strange. Probably my explanation isn't clear.

towwire

#30 Post by towwire »

Richard wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:23 pm On the USB, create a new partition table with gparted, then create and format partions as fat32.

Remove, replace the USB.
Run bootlace from it's directory from where you unpacked it.

Sounds as if you are doing something different.
I'll think it over and write a script. Something is strange.
The old version was like 1.5 or 1.6 something I think. I just follow what was in the docs/linux and the old version worked. In fact I used to put the ISO's in the folders before I did the usb so they were copied with everything else. It took longer but not any longer that the other way. I will try the way you wrote and see if that works.

Return to “Package Requests/Status - MX 17/18”