MX 17/18 Repository: The ClipGrab Thread

Stevo
Developer

MX 17/18 Repository: The ClipGrab Thread

#1 Post by Stevo »

We had this in our repos for a while, but never created a thread for it. The older 3.7.2 version we had in main seems to have just been broken by Youtube, so we're pushing 3.8.1 to main.

ClipGrab is a free downloader and converter for YouTube, Vimeo, Facebook and many other online video sites.
It can convert downloaded videos to MPEG4, MP3 or other formats in just one easy step. It can also monitor the clipboard for possible video links and pops up a notification offering to download them.

If you have trouble with the the new version and dark themes, you can try running it in a light theme with "clipgrab -style gtk", and edit the menu entry to match if you like that. I also lifted a better menu .desktop file from the Arch AUR build, so ClipGrab now will appear in Multimedia instead of Internet, as well as have a comment. Packaging changes include:

* Improve debian/clipgrab.desktop.
* Install pixmap icon from original source instead of from /debian.
* Don't build dbgsym files.
* Switch to Qt 5 build.
* Add fix_FTBFS_for_Qt5<5.8.patch to fix builds with Qt 5 < 5.8.

Edit: It seems that the current build has a bug where the search text input field looses focus after every character that's entered, but longer text can be entered via copypaste as a workaround. The appimage, and presumably the Buster builds, don't have the problem. https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... b/clipgrab

Tim may help look at the code, but any other help is welcome.

Buck Fankers

Re: MX 17/18 Repository: The ClipGrab Thread

#2 Post by Buck Fankers »

Stevo wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:28 pm We had this in our repos for a while, but never created a thread for it. The older 3.7.2 version we had in main seems to have just been broken by Youtube, so we're pushing 3.8.1 to main.
For me 3.8.1 don't work, wouldn't even load so i downgraded back to 3.7.2 (which looks like it is still in the main) and it works great. I can download from youtube (copy/paste link) and from bitchute

manyroads

#3 Post by manyroads »

I just tried 3.8.2 and my system doesn't like to type in the search field. I am able to get only one character, thus if I type my search in a text editor and then cut & paste my search into the search box... things work. I'm rolling back to 3.7.2. ;)
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

paul1149

#4 Post by paul1149 »

Thanks. This is quite good. Just had a friend ask me about videos and I recommended it. My first download with it seemed very slow, but maybe that was an anomaly.
MX-19-KDE x64, on Ryzen 5, 16GB RAM, SSD. Nvidia graphics.

Stevo
Developer

#5 Post by Stevo »

Does 3.7.2 still work for Youtube? I found that it threw errors with some videos. My usual flow is to have the program open and monitor the clipboard for video links that it recognizes, so I don't have to type anything into that address bar normally...ever.

The ClipGrab appimage text entry works normally, but I had to patch a couple lines in our build so it would not require Qt 5.8 to build. That's probably causing the bug. If anyone can figure out how to add some more older Qt 5 code to get it working again, you'd have our appreciation!

paul1149

#6 Post by paul1149 »

paul1149 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:56 pm My first download with it seemed very slow, but maybe that was an anomaly.
Evidently the slow download was an anomaly. Just did a sizable download and the speed was fine. I'm going to start using this instead of youtube-dl. Easier to use and does the job nicely. I voted that they should add the ability to specify video playback start and stop time. Thanks again.

manyroads

#7 Post by manyroads »

Stevo wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:10 am Does 3.7.2 still work for Youtube? I found that it threw errors with some videos. My usual flow is to have the program open and monitor the clipboard for video links that it recognizes, so I don't have to type anything into that address bar normally...ever.

The ClipGrab appimage text entry works normally, but I had to patch a couple lines in our build so it would not require Qt 5.8 to build. That's probably causing the bug. If anyone can figure out how to add some more older Qt 5 code to get it working again, you'd have our appreciation!
I @stevo I use 3.7.2 exclusively with Youtube.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Stevo
Developer

#8 Post by Stevo »

Maybe I can put the Appimage in a deb and call it clipgrab-appimage. I did that for some other package...I just have to find it, because I remember having to do some trick to get the executable permission back after it was installed.

paul1149

#9 Post by paul1149 »

Afraid the glacial speed was not an anomaly. Happened again, two attempts. Then used youtube-dl and it took a few seconds to complete.

Stevo
Developer

#10 Post by Stevo »

paul1149 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:59 am Afraid the glacial speed was not an anomaly. Happened again, two attempts. Then used youtube-dl and it took a few seconds to complete.
Could you try the Appimage from clipgrab.org to see if it has the same problem?

Return to “Package Requests/Status - MX 17/18”