News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

MX 17/18 Repository: The City/Onecolor/Nu Window Decorations Thread

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

MX 17/18 Repository: The City/Onecolor/Nu Window Decorations Thread

Post by Stevo » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:58 pm

We've added some more XFCE/GTK window decoration themes to our main repo. These provide the titlebar and borders for windows, and these themes provide thick borders if you find the default Arc theme borders hard to grab. These are confusingly set in the "Window Manager" XFCE settings module.

The new package names are:

city-gtk-border-themes
provides various colors as well as XXL and 4K versions

onecolor-gtk-border-themes in various colors

nu-xfce-border-themes (no metacity/gtk theme provided with this one, just XFCE, in various colors)

We may add these to a theme set you can get in Package Installer or in another MX package for thick borders--that's still in the planning stages.

richb
Administrator

Re: MX 17/18 Repository: The City/Onecolor/Nu Window Decorations Thread

Post by richb » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:32 pm

Good find Stevo. These are very good themes regarding edge thickness. And the Onecolor themes are particularly good for hdpi monitors.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 18.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Stevo » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:32 pm

richb wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:32 pm
Good find Stevo. These are very good themes regarding edge thickness. And the Onecolor themes are particularly good for hdpi monitors.
I saw that Makulu Linux was using City and Nu on their Live ISO, and liked them, but they didn't have the themes packaged--just in /etc/skel/themes or something. So I made proper packages.

Makulu has quite a stew of packages--Jessie, Stretch, and Testing repos are enabled, plus some packages from deb-multimedia and PPAs.

manyroads
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by manyroads » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:25 pm

As an aside... I found the following cursor theme also helps make it easier to grab window corners especially with themes like those here with borders (or even really thin borders like Qogir.) Mouse cursor theme is Bibata see: https://github.com/KaizIqbal/Bibata_Cursor
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com - Reg. Linux User #449130
bspwm MX-18.3 kernel: 5.1.11-antix.1-amd64-smp
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by dolphin_oracle » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:18 pm

so despite the "gtk" in their names, they are all window manager -only packages correct?
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-18.3
lenovo s21e - antiX-19 beta 2 (live-USB)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Stevo » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:50 pm

Yes--the ones with "gtk" also include window border themes for metacity,so that's why I used that term.

I think it may be possible to combine them with other XFCE window style themes to get a full-featured themeset with thick borders, so when you pick the xfce style theme, the border comes along with it.

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by asqwerth » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:47 am

I've not tried these yet as I've been busy, but thanks Stevo for putting these packages together. I'll try them hopefully by next weekend.

To be honest, I still like the idea of just using whatever other favourite gtk themes I like and having an adaptive, subtle-looking, grabbable WM theme that simply adapts to the colour scheme of my favourite gtk theme without having a distinctive and thick look of its own.

I may be repeating myself, but rich's "borders" WM theme does that. It may have a thin visible border, but the grabbable area surrounding the border is large. My desktop is not hidpi and I don't need the WM borders/edges to LOOK visibly thick; I just need the grabbable area under my cursor to BE thick.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by asqwerth » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:49 am

I have bookmarked/subscribed to this thread to remind myself.

Stevo wrote:Makulu has quite a stew of packages--Jessie, Stretch, and Testing repos are enabled, plus some packages from deb-multimedia and PPAs...
Whoa....
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)

richb
Administrator

Post by richb » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:56 am

My desktop is not hidpi and I don't need the WM borders/edges to LOOK visibly thick; I just need the grabbable area under my cursor to BE thick
For hdpi displays it is not only the way the border looks. It is the size of the title bar and its buttons. These themes that Stevo provided have larger title bars which are much better for the hdpi displays.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 18.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by asqwerth » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:03 am

richb wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:56 am
My desktop is not hidpi and I don't need the WM borders/edges to LOOK visibly thick; I just need the grabbable area under my cursor to BE thick
For hdpi displays it is not only the way the border looks. It is the size of the title bar and its buttons. These themes that Stevo provided have larger title bars which are much better for the hdpi displays.
Yes, I understand that for hidpi displays, largeness of text and title bar elements are important, otherwise things are too small to read or point at.

For my hidpi laptop, I'm sure I will really appreciate these new packages, as right now I'm using a modified emerald theme on my MX16 partition which has compiz running, and Stevo's previously-created hidpi Arc WM theme for the MX17 partition (and this doesn't really match other gtk themes very well).

But for my PC's normal display, I can afford to be more aesthetics-conscious.

Surely this is not an either/or scenario; we can have both the City/Onecolour/Nu WM themes as well as the borders theme packaged in MX repos?

Return to “Package Requests/Status - MX 17/18”