MX 17 Repository: The EZthumb Thread

Stevo
Developer

MX 17 Repository: The EZthumb Thread

#1 Post by Stevo »

EZthumb 3.6.7 is now in our test repository. As far as I can tell, we have the only deb packages, since I was unable to find any others on the Web, so I packaged it from the raw source code from scratch. Running the builds through clean pbuilders showed a couple build-dependencies I had missed when they failed, but they eventually succeeded. I'm just going to copy the original package request post here after all that, because it's good and I'm lazy. :p
EZthumb uses ffmpeg to scan a video file, take a bunch of screenshot-like samples, resize them to thumbnail-size, then makes a contact sheet/montage image from them, along with some technical info about the video (size, length, resolution, codecs) in text in the upper-left corner. It's handy for people who share videos online, so others can preview the video's content and quality prior to downloading it, as well as for those with a large video collection as it helps them to keep track of which video is which, in case they forget, without having to open them in a media player. EZthumb comes with a GUI and can also be run as a command-line utility. Here's an example from its SourceForge web page:

After testing the first successful builds, I realized that they were missing a menu entry and icon, plus the man page, so I went back and made sure those were installed, as well as a PDF help file in /usr/share/doc/ezthumb.

The menu entry is only in English, so if anyone wants to help improve it to include other languages, here's the relevant part of ezthumb.desktop file:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Ezthumb
GenericName=Video Thumbnailer
Comment=Create thumbnails of videos
But the GUI itself seems to be missing any localizations, too. :frown:

cyrilus31

Re: MX 17 Repository: The EZthumb Thread

#2 Post by cyrilus31 »

Stevo wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:07 pm
I found this ticket n°7
He intended to do it but still pending.

Stevo
Developer

#3 Post by Stevo »

Apparently not much progress there! I know you provide text .po localization files with the source, and have the Makefile use the msgfmt program (provided by gettext) convert those to binary .mo files and then install them. If the Makefile is missing this, the packager has to write some instructions to do the same thing in the debian/rules file, which I remember doing for some of the arch-independent MX programs a while back. The Qt-based MX programs use a different system.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#4 Post by JayM »

Regarding the package itself, I installed it from the test repo after I had to reinstall MX a couple-three weeks ago when it could no longer boot. It works just fine. (All of my prior installations of ezthumb had been compiled from source.)
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Return to “Package Requests/Status - MX 17/18”