MX 17 Repository: The Cinnamon Desktop Thread

Stevo
Developer

MX 17 Repository: The Cinnamon Desktop Thread

#1 Post by Stevo »

As part of getting a newer Nemo file manager to coexist with the latest WoeUSB, I ended up backporting Cinnamon 3.8 from the upstream Debian repositories (luckily, not that many package builds were required). For those that would like to update over Stretch's 3.2, you can install cinnamon-core for a basic install in MX Package Installer from the test repo, or cinnamon-desktop-environment from test for the deluxe set of packages.

I had previously backported an earlier release of 3.8, but the desktop kept crashing on my machine, so I never sent it up, but this new set of upgrades has solved that for my installs.

gbhollr

Re: MX 17 Repository: The Cinnamon Desktop Thread

#2 Post by gbhollr »

I've been looking to use cinnamon as it is the only desktop environment I know that comes installed with a graphics tablet calibration app and I rely on one for all my productive work.

Today, I've just live booted MX Linux 18 and installed Cinnamon (sudo apt-get install cinnamon. Not cinnamon-core or cinnamon-desktop-environment) from the test repo along with libwacom2, libwacom-bin and libwacom-common from the test repo. Although my Cintiq13HD was recognised as an external display, the OS wouldn't detect it as a graphics tablet therefore I couldn't calibrate it.

So I went through the test repo and installed/upgraded the rest of the cinnamon packages one by one but the OS still would no detect my tablet.

On an unrelated note, I decided to install every desktop environment from the main repos just to take them for a spin. To my surprise, I found that GNOME and Budgie, while still not detecting my tablet, had my light pen calibrated almost pixel-perfect out of the box.

I say "almost" because the cursor goes slightly off-center from the pen tip when you bring it towards the corners of the screen.

I hope this helps.

Stevo
Developer

#3 Post by Stevo »

It looks like cinnamon-control-center might need to be rebuilt against the test repo versions of libwacom and libinput. I'll put that on the to-do list.

gbhollr

#4 Post by gbhollr »

Stevo wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:13 pm It looks like cinnamon-control-center might need to be rebuilt against the test repo versions of libwacom and libinput. I'll put that on the to-do list.
That's great. Please let me know as soon as that is done.

Thanks.

gbhollr

#5 Post by gbhollr »

Hello again.

Sorry for the long wait but I finally tested the updated Cinnamon on MX Linux.
Good news: It looks better than last time. At first glance, it has a background in the desktop from the get-go whereas it didn't last time.

Bad news: It still wouldn't recognise my Cintiq as a graphics tablet even though I also installed kde-config-tablet and xserver-xorg-input-wacom.

Return to “Package Requests/Status - MX 17/18”