MX 17/18 Repository: The Midori Browser Thread

Stevo
Developer

MX 17/18 Repository: The Midori Browser Thread

#1 Post by Stevo »

After a long period of seemingly little activity, the developers released a completely rewritten Midori 6.0 on Halloween 2018, and we've packaged it for the test repo. It also switched to a libwebkit2 separate browser engine instead of libwebkit, which means that can be updated to fix security bugs...unlike libwebkit, which is not being updated. It's also using GTK+ 3 instead of 2 now.

Midori remains a fast, lightweight browser, but picks up support for many of the newest Web technologies.

If you try it, let us know how it installs from the test repo and how it performs. Thanks!
Last edited by Stevo on Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: MX 17 Repository: The Midori Browser Thread

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

Any thought of going upstairs with this?
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Gordon Cooper

#3 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Not working for me got this reply. Tried a re-install, the same result.

"Midori can't find the page you're looking for
The page located at “” cannot be found. Check the web address for misspelled words and try again.

Error opening file /usr/share/doc/geeqie/html/GuideImageManagementExternalEditing.html: No such file or directory"

Edit: A search did not find that file in my system.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

nathan2423

#4 Post by nathan2423 »

I downloaded it and in installed and seemed to run well enough.

But what I immediately noticed was that the interface was organized considerably differently from the picture in this thread. In using it I see it has the "gnome 3" look and feel which I really don't care for.

I'm always on the look for a new lighteight browser, and I might be able to get used to it but I think I'll stay with conventional styling and pass on anything gnome-3 style and hope for better from Falkon when/if it becomes more readily available.

fehlix
Developer

#5 Post by fehlix »

Gordon Cooper wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:22 pm Error opening file /usr/share/doc/geeqie/html/GuideImageManagementExternalEditing.html: No such file or directory"
What about opening:
[url]file:///usr/share/doc/geeqie/html/GuideImageManagementExternalEditing.html[/url]
as code:

Code: Select all

file:///usr/share/doc/geeqie/html/GuideImageManagementExternalEditing.html
Works for me, just installed from testrepo, which installes midori 6.0-0.1~mx17+1 and libpeas-1.0-0 libpeas-common.
First page opened: just this thread: no issues.
midori.png
I missed this lttle green cat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

oops

#6 Post by oops »

fehlix wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:52 pm
Gordon Cooper wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:22 pm Error opening file /usr/share/doc/geeqie/html/GuideImageManagementExternalEditing.html: No such file or directory"
What about opening:
[url]file:///usr/share/doc/geeqie/html/GuideImageManagementExternalEditing.html[/url]
as code:

file:///usr/share/doc/geeqie/html/GuideImageManagementExternalEditing.html
Works for me, just installed from testrepo, which installes midori 6.0-0.1~mx17+1 and libpeas-1.0-0 libpeas-common.
First page opened: just this thread: no issues.
Works for me too (with the good locale LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8), but:
Issues here:
-The cursor does not appear and does not blink into the find area, text zone (ex: google search)
-The key Enter does not work (I have to click to "Reload Current Page" to load a new www. link)
- File does not exist here too: /usr/share/doc/geeqie/html/GuideImageManagementExternalEditing.html

$ file /usr/share/doc/geeqie/html/GuideImageManagementExternalEditing.html
/usr/share/doc/geeqie/html/GuideImageManagementExternalEditing.html: cannot open `/usr/share/doc/geeqie/html/GuideImageManagementExternalEditing.html' (No such file or directory)
And for info. to check HTML5: how well does your browser support HTML5?
https://html5test.com/

YOUR BROWSER NO JAVASCRIPT to test
Dillo _ You are using an unknown browser based on Webkit running on Linux

YOUR BROWSER SCORES 317 OUT OF 555 POINTS
mx-viever _ MX17 _ You are using an unknown browser based on Webkit running on Linux

YOUR BROWSER SCORES 405 OUT OF 555 POINTS
You are using Midori 6 on Linux

Your browser scores 419 out of 555 points
You are using Pale Moon 28.1.0 on Linux

Your browser scores 480 out of 555 points
You are using Firefox 60.0 on Linux

Your browser scores 497 out of 555 points
You are using Firefox 63.0 on Linux

YOUR BROWSER SCORES 526 OUT OF 555 POINTS
You are using Chrome Dev 70.0.3538.67 on Linux
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

Stevo
Developer

#7 Post by Stevo »

I think it loses a lot of points because it doesn't support HTML5 streaming (i.e. something like video chat in the browser) based on what I can see in the results.

I asked on the Debian forums if anyone using straight Debian would file a bug against the package requesting an update in the Debian repos. I just had to swap some build-depends and tinker with a config file install to get it to build, so a real maintainer shouldn't have any trouble doing the same thing.

oops

#8 Post by oops »

Stevo wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:38 pm I think it loses a lot of points because it doesn't support HTML5 streaming (i.e. something like video chat in the browser) based on what I can see in the results.

I asked on the Debian forums if anyone using straight Debian would file a bug against the package requesting an update in the Debian repos. I just had to swap some build-depends and tinker with a config file install to get it to build, so a real maintainer shouldn't have any trouble doing the same thing.
Right, I think it loses a lot of points because it doesn't support HTML5 streaming, and Peer To Peer:
Midori Peer To Peer: 0/45 , like Palemoon: Peer To Peer2/45 (Palemoon too) but for me it is not very important.

The most important items are for me Security items:
Midori 6.0
Security 24/3
Missing:
Subresource Integrity
Web Authentication / FIDO 2
Credential Management

2D
Image export formats
WebP support
--------
Palemoon 28.1.0
Security 24/32
Missing:
Content Security Policy 2
Web Authentication / FIDO 2
Credential Management

2D
Image export formats
WebP support

Video&Audio codecs
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

Stevo
Developer

#9 Post by Stevo »

Midori 7.0 has landed in our test repository! Changes include:

- Fixed YouTube rendering issue due to custom user agent
- Fixed invisible cursor in text fields
- Restored behavior of " " and "." in urlbar completion
- Download/ web notifications for background window/ tab
- Highlight in toolbar for finished downloads
- Re-introduced proxy server UX
- Multiple processes for indivdual tabs
- Adaptive toolbar layout for smaller screens

oops

#10 Post by oops »

Thank you Stevo, Midori 7.0 works much better, I am going to test it deeper.

Return to “Package Requests/Status - MX 17/18”