MX 17/18 Repository: The Waterfox Thread (64-bit only)

zorzi

Re: MX 17 Repository: The Waterfox Thread (64-bit only)

#21 Post by zorzi »

Thanks Stevo

Stevo
Developer

#22 Post by Stevo »

Updated to the latest 56.2.11 release in the main repo.

Stevo
Developer

#23 Post by Stevo »

Waterfox 56.2.12 turns out to need a version of rustc to build that's only on Buster, so we only have built-from-source packages there. Instead, I wrapped their AppImage in a deb package for MX 15-18, and MXPI will install that instead when they get to the repo.

You can get the waterfox-appimage packages early here, though. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OWScn ... fhIOwA6jcB

Stevo
Developer

#24 Post by Stevo »

Waterfox 56.2.13 is now available in our main repo!

It also requires a newer version of cargo and rustc than we have in MX18 to build, but I just found how to install the Buster versions on a Stretch base and use them for the build with this one simple trick! The finished program doesn't need those for running, just building, so we can still put it in main.

anticapitalista
Developer

#25 Post by anticapitalista »

Stevo wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:14 pm Waterfox 56.2.13 is now available in our main repo!

It also requires a newer version of cargo and rustc than we have in MX18 to build, but I just found how to install the Buster versions on a Stretch base and use them for the build with this one simple trick! The finished program doesn't need those for running, just building, so we can still put it in main.
There is a problem with the latest version when installing on antiX-17 (stretch)

Code: Select all

apt-get install waterfox
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 waterfox : Depends: libfontconfig1 (>= 2.12.6) but 2.11.0-6.7+b1 is to be installed
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Stevo
Developer

#26 Post by Stevo »

Well, yes, I built it on sbuild with the MX repos also enabled, because it also needed llvm-6.0 to build, according to its control file, and we have that in the main MX repos where Stretch does not--though it's also in stretch-backports. That also pulled in some newer libraries that MX 18 uses, like the libconfig one.

It might be possible to revert the debian control and mozconfig file to llvm-4.0 and get a successful build, but I haven't tried that yet. Does antiX 17 have llvm-6.0 in its repos? Repology can't find it: https://repology.org/project/llvm/versions

Since the OBS version of Waterfox also uses llvm-6.0, I would guess that it probably doesn't install on antiX either...

If it does require llvm-6.0 and antiX did add that to its repos, odds are that I could then build an antiX compatible version, though.

Stevo
Developer

#27 Post by Stevo »

Oh, now I remember why I had to tack on the MX repos instead of just using the Stretch repos with extra packages in the local repo, and didn't bother experimenting with llvm-4.0. I said above that I had to use the Buster debs of cargo and rustc in my local repo to build it. Well, the Buster rustc deb says:

rustc : Depends: libllvm7 (>= 1:7~svn298832-1~)

and we also have a build of llvm-7 in MX main that we used to build the newer Mesa at the time. So I had to tack the MX repo onto the build process along with my local repo to get that newer llvm, too.

Let me know if you get llvm-6.0 and 7 into antiX 17, as they don't affect the standard "clang" version in Stretch, and I'll see about adding those manually to the local repo instead getting them automatically from the MX repo during the build. That way it wouldn't pull in any other stuff like libfontconfig.

They are rather hefty builds if you do rebuild them instead of copying over the MX versions, though.

anticapitalista
Developer

#28 Post by anticapitalista »

antiX uses the Debian stretch version of llvm ie llvm-3.8.
Adding the buster repos to get llvm-7 drags in other apps not in stretch eg gcc-9-base so I'll decline that option.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Stevo
Developer

#29 Post by Stevo »

anticapitalista wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:45 pm antiX uses the Debian stretch version of llvm ie llvm-3.8.
Adding the buster repos to get llvm-7 drags in other apps not in stretch eg gcc-9-base so I'll decline that option.
I didn't add the Buster repo to my build setup, I just downloaded the cargo and rustc debs, plus one small backport that was needed, and put them in a special folder where my sbuild chroot can access them during the build. I also dumped the MX backports of llvm-6.0 and -7 debs in there so they could be used on top of vanilla Stretch. The Buster debs are used for the build, but don't add any Buster runtime dependencies, or even for that extra backport I did. In fact, I don't think you would need llvm-7 to run it either. I'm doing an sbuild right now, and I'll check the dependencies after it's finished cooking.

Stevo
Developer

#30 Post by Stevo »

Here are the dependencies--it looks like it doesn't even need any llvm-6.0 runtimes at all, just vanilla Stretch:

Depends: debconf (>= 0.5) | debconf-2.0, libasound2 (>= 1.0.16), libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.12.4), libc6 (>= 2.18), libcairo-gobject2 (>= 1.10.0), libcairo2 (>= 1.10.0), libdbus-1-3 (>= 1.9.14), libdbus-glib-1-2 (>= 0.78), libfontconfig1 (>= 2.11), libfreetype6 (>= 2.2.1), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.2), libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.30.0), libgtk-3-0 (>= 3.4), libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.10), libpango-1.0-0 (>= 1.22.0), libpangocairo-1.0-0 (>= 1.14.0), libpangoft2-1.0-0 (>= 1.14.0), libstdc++6 (>= 6), libx11-6, libx11-xcb1, libxcb-shm0, libxcb1, libxcomposite1 (>= 1:0.3-1), libxdamage1 (>= 1:1.1), libxext6, libxfixes3, libxrender1, libxt6
I also knocked it down from SSE3 required from to SSE2, though maybe those really really old machines that can't provide SSE3 can't run 64-bit either. Oops. Let me switch that back and rebuild. I used this as the version--is this OK?

waterfox (56.2.13-0.1~antix17) stable; urgency=medium

Return to “Package Requests/Status - MX 17/18”