MX 17 Repository: The Shotwell Thread

Stevo
Developer

MX 17 Repository: The Shotwell Thread

#1 Post by Stevo »

We now have the latest 0.30.1 release of the popular Shotwell photo management program in our test repository.
This release is supposed to introduce facial recognition. Does it, and does it work? Test it and see for yourself!

Be OK

Re: MX 17 Repository: The Shotwell Thread

#2 Post by Be OK »

Great thanks

Redacted

#3 Post by Redacted »

Stevo wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:06 pm We now have the latest 0.30.1 release of the popular Shotwell photo management program in our test repository.
This release is supposed to introduce facial recognition. Does it, and does it work? Test it and see for yourself!
The face recognition button (Faces) doesn't exist on the Shotwell 0.30.1 I just installed from test repo.
I'm not sure I read things right, but it appears that it must be specially built to use it. (I think :confused: )

Stevo
Developer

#4 Post by Stevo »

Redacted wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:07 pm
Stevo wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:06 pm We now have the latest 0.30.1 release of the popular Shotwell photo management program in our test repository.
The face recognition button (Faces) doesn't exist on the Shotwell 0.30.1 I just installed from test repo.
I'm not sure I read things right, but it appears that it must be specially built to use it. (I think :confused: )
Maybe the upstream Debian maintainers didn't enable it. Well, I'm off to do some research to see if I can.

Stevo
Developer

#5 Post by Stevo »

Debian and most other distros just go with the default configuration for Shotwell, which disables face detection. I managed to enable the feature by adding an override to the debian/rules file:

Code: Select all

override_dh_auto_configure:
	dh_auto_configure meson -- -Dface-detection=true
and then added libopencv-dev to the build-depends, but the build then fails without much information why.

Code: Select all

[13/300] c++ -Ifacedetect/facedetect@@shotwell-facedetect@exe -Ifacedetect -I../facedetect -I/usr/include/opencv -fdiagnostics-color=always -pipe -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -g -O2 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/shotwell-0.30.1=. -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2  -MD -MQ 'facedetect/facedetect@@shotwell-facedetect@exe/shotwell-facedetect.cpp.o' -MF 'facedetect/facedetect@@shotwell-facedetect@exe/shotwell-facedetect.cpp.o.d' -o 'facedetect/facedetect@@shotwell-facedetect@exe/shotwell-facedetect.cpp.o' -c ../facedetect/shotwell-facedetect.cpp
ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.
dh_auto_build: cd obj-x86_64-linux-gnu && LC_ALL=C.UTF-8 ninja -j13 -v returned exit code 1
Maybe it needs a newer opencv than the 3.2 we have in the test repo...

Redacted

#6 Post by Redacted »

Hey, sure appreciate you trying! :popcorn:

Stevo
Developer

#7 Post by Stevo »

The developer of the feature wrote that it only needs opencv >= 2.3.0, so now I'm stuck. I wonder if it's implemented in the flatpak version.

Stevo
Developer

#8 Post by Stevo »

Shotwell in the test repo has been updated to 30.2. It was also built against a newer libraw to hopefully support more RAW formats, so will pull in that from the test repo, too.

Changes include:

* Fix maximize on Wayland when double-clicking on title-bar
* Do not hide the cursor when showing the slideshow settings dialog
* Fix compatibility with recent vala compilers
* Fix crash when dismissing file modifications on close
* Fix issues with google and flickr not being able to log in
* Replace picasaweb publishing with Google Photos publishing
* Comply with Flick API TOS

Please let us know how it installs and performs if you give it a try. Thanks!

Return to “Package Requests/Status - MX 17/18”