-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Package Request: MineTime

WaltH
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Package Request: MineTime

#1 Post by WaltH » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:42 am

Not to be confused with the Minecraft served application, MineTime is the product of a research project "to build a modern, multi-platform, AI-powered calendar application." I used it when I was running Antergos and liked it. The website does have a .deb download available, but I wasn't sure if it would be safe to simply install it from there, so I thought I'd ask here.

I know that Thunderbird has a calendar application available, but since I do not manage my email on my computer, I am looking for a stand-alone calendar and appointments app that works well with Google calendars. (I am open to other suggestions, though I don't want to install KDE or Gnome components unless the requirements footprint is relatively small.)

Anyway, here is the link to the application's website, if you'd like to check it out: https://minetime.ai. Thanks.

nathan2423
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Package Request: MineTime

#2 Post by nathan2423 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:22 am

Wow that looks like an interesting application and something I need - I am currently using the free version of EMCLOUD in wine for my local caldav-based calendar. (I am not a fan of Thunderbird or Evolution.)

FWIW, I took the plunge and downloaded and installed into MX17 -- it installed and seems to be running well, although for some reason it is displaying a secondary rather than my primary calendar. But that's probably my fault and in general it looks very nice! Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

timkb4cq
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Post by timkb4cq » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:02 pm

Since it's an appimage, it should be safe to install.
However their license doesn't allow commercial use or distribution, so we are not allowed to add it to our repositories.
MSI 970A-G43 MB, AMD FX-6300 (six core), 16GB RAM, GeForce 730, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB

nathan2423
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Post by nathan2423 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:25 pm

Also WAITH, if you are looking around and find another local calendar solution that is free and syncs with CALDAV, please let me know. I am currently also using Nextcloud as my caldav server, to which I sync emclient. I am kind of disappointed in Nextcloud's calendar because it does not have an AGENDA view, and the details of each item don't pop up as you hover over it, as do other (ajax-based?) calendars I have seen. This Minetime doesn't seem to do the hover-popup either, but it does have an agenda view. If you happen across a calendar that syncs with caldav and has these features I'd appreciate your posting it. I have to confess that a calendar that seems to be based on data mining like Minecraft doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling of privacy, even if it says you can turn off those features.

WaltH
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#5 Post by WaltH » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:19 pm

timkb4cq wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:02 pm
Since it's an appimage, it should be safe to install.
However their license doesn't allow commercial use or distribution, so we are not allowed to add it to our repositories.
Ah, didn't realize that since I had used it in Antergos. The nice thing is when I opened it, it remembered my settings and calendars from the Antergos installation since I still have that folder in my Home partition.

WaltH
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#6 Post by WaltH » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:34 pm

I was able to download and run the Appimage, but while the Wiki says it will likely add itself to the menu or can be added using the Menu Editor, neither seems to be the case. I tried to use the Menu Editor to add the Appimage, but it did not work. I was able to add a shortcut to the desktop, but I would rather have it in the menu (and perhaps on the Xfce panel, if there is a way to do that).

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Post by Jerry3904 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:17 pm

Can you drag it from the desktop to the menu?

Did you try logging out and back in?
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

dreamer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#8 Post by dreamer » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:39 pm

WaltH wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:34 pm
I was able to download and run the Appimage, but while the Wiki says it will likely add itself to the menu or can be added using the Menu Editor, neither seems to be the case. I tried to use the Menu Editor to add the Appimage, but it did not work. I was able to add a shortcut to the desktop, but I would rather have it in the menu (and perhaps on the Xfce panel, if there is a way to do that).
I downloaded the MineTime AppImage then right-clicked it in Thunar. The first right click menu option is "Execute". That launched a dialog asking if I would like to integrate MineTime in the (application)menu. I clicked yes and after that MineTime appeared. There is now also an option to launch it from Whisker menu > Office > MineTime.

It seems like fairly good calendar application, but I haven't really used it yet. All data harvesting can be turned off and it's open source on Github.

WaltH
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#9 Post by WaltH » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:54 pm

dreamer wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:39 pm
WaltH wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:34 pm
I downloaded the MineTime AppImage then right-clicked it in Thunar. The first right click menu option is "Execute". That launched a dialog asking if I would like to integrate MineTime in the (application)menu. I clicked yes and after that MineTime appeared. There is now also an option to launch it from Whisker menu > Office > MineTime.

It seems like fairly good calendar application, but I haven't really used it yet. All data harvesting can be turned off and it's open source on Github.
Okay. I saw the option to execute, but I don't recall being asked if I wanted to integrate it into the application menu. I'll have to try it again.

Return to “Package Requests/Status - MX 17”