-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Android-Studio

Nanook
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Android-Studio

#1 Post by Nanook » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:33 am

Would be nice if Android Studio was as easy to install on MxLinux as it is on Debian, Mint, Julinux, and Ubuntu:

add-apt-repository ppa:maarten-fonville/android-studio
apt update
apt install android-studio

This PPA does not work with MxLinux, it causes MxLinux apt to barf big time.

Eadwine Rose
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Android-Studio

#2 Post by Eadwine Rose » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:50 am

On the PPAs, also others, be careful; there is reason for the user icon to be like that in the beginning ;)

Maybe someone can package it up for you.
MX-17.1_x64 Horizon 3-2018 * 4.15.0-1-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.12.3 * AMD Asus M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 * ASUS GF GT640-1GD5-L NVIDIA 384.130 * AMD Proc. Athl II X4 635, sAM3 * HDA ATI SB VT1708S An * 2x4Gb DDR3 1600 Kingst * 22" Samsung SyncM P2250 * HP Envy5030

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Post by asqwerth » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:15 am

The add-apt-repository command is an Ubuntu command, not a Debian one. Not surprisingly this command won't work on MX.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Post by Stevo » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:29 pm

asqwerth wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:15 am
The add-apt-repository command is an Ubuntu command, not a Debian one. Not surprisingly this command won't work on MX.
The add-apt-repository command is in a package that both Ubuntu, Debian, and thus MX have in the repos, but Ubuntu has it installed by default.

https://packages.debian.org/search?sear ... e&arch=any

It looks like the PPA package is just an installer script, which makes sense the way Google wants to be the sole distributor of their programs. I'll see if we can add it to the repo.

timkb4cq
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Post by timkb4cq » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:47 pm

Android-studio and its oracle-java8-installer dependency are now available in the MX-17 Test repository.
Use the Package Installer in MX-Tools to install them.
MSI 970A-G43 MB, AMD FX-6300 (six core), 16GB RAM, GeForce 730, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB

m_pav
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#6 Post by m_pav » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:11 am

Copy of discussion from Facebook page

Worked and installed successfully but watching details in synaptic while it installed it did a couple of strange things, it printed configuration file could not be read five times, then proceeded with the install, then when it got all done it said, "no package selected" but yet the box was now marked installed. I fired it up and tested and it worked fine. Thank you much!
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Mine)Lenovo T560, i7-6600U, 16GB, 2.0TB SSHD, MX17 64-bit
(Wifes) Asus M4A88TD-M, AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU, nVidia GF610, 6Gb, 500GB+320GB, MX17 + KDE
(Kids) Intel NUC, J1900, 4GB, 64GB SSD, MX17

m_pav
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#7 Post by m_pav » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:20 am

A bit more about the OP, copied from our discussion on the FB page (which started out a bit rocky, but an understanding was reached)

I run a service that offers, among other things, public Linux shell servers, with both ssh for text and x2go for full graphics and sound access, with centos6, centos7, debian, mint, julinux, ubuntu, scientific linux 6, scientific linux 7, opensuse, zorin, and mxlinux being among the choices. It affords people who want to test their software on a variety of platforms a means to do so, it also offers a lot of development tools for people developing software, web authoring tools, office tools, graphics tools, etc. With this wide of spread of distributions I like to keep things as uniform as possible. I put android-studio on all of the other debian derived linuxes. I do realize that mxlinux is not a direct but rather indirect debian decedent, none the less because it uses .deb files we put it in that class here. Mxlinux is a recent add for us, so far it has been reasonably well behaved. Since some people deciding on which distribution to install and which windowing system to use will try the various options on our server, it makes sense for mxlinux to be the best display it can be. We also offer private virtual servers for people who want to get into it at a level that would not be appropriate on a shared server. So hopefully now that I've made it a bit more clear as to how I am using it, it will help you understand out needs. I don't intend to suggest that there is any obligation on your part, just that there is some degree of mutual interest here.
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Mine)Lenovo T560, i7-6600U, 16GB, 2.0TB SSHD, MX17 64-bit
(Wifes) Asus M4A88TD-M, AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU, nVidia GF610, 6Gb, 500GB+320GB, MX17 + KDE
(Kids) Intel NUC, J1900, 4GB, 64GB SSD, MX17

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#8 Post by asqwerth » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:36 am

m_pav wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:20 am
A bit more about the OP, copied from our discussion on the FB page (which started out a bit rocky, but an understanding was reached)

I run a service that offers, among other things, public Linux shell servers, with both ssh for text and x2go for full graphics and sound access, with centos6, centos7, debian, mint, julinux, ubuntu, scientific linux 6, scientific linux 7, opensuse, zorin, and mxlinux being among the choices. It affords people who want to test their software on a variety of platforms a means to do so, it also offers a lot of development tools for people developing software, web authoring tools, office tools, graphics tools, etc. With this wide of spread of distributions I like to keep things as uniform as possible. I put android-studio on all of the other debian derived linuxes. I do realize that mxlinux is not a direct but rather indirect debian decedent, none the less because it uses .deb files we put it in that class here. Mxlinux is a recent add for us, so far it has been reasonably well behaved. Since some people deciding on which distribution to install and which windowing system to use will try the various options on our server, it makes sense for mxlinux to be the best display it can be. We also offer private virtual servers for people who want to get into it at a level that would not be appropriate on a shared server. So hopefully now that I've made it a bit more clear as to how I am using it, it will help you understand out needs. I don't intend to suggest that there is any obligation on your part, just that there is some degree of mutual interest here.
But MX is more of a direct Debian offshoot than all the Ubuntu children. I hope the OP doesn't think that just because Ubuntu and Debian both use .deb files as their binary packaging format, one can just interchangeably install any Ubuntu .deb file in a Debian-based distro.

Anyway, good that it works for him.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Return to “Package Requests/Status - MX 17”