-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Three more package requests: XnView MP, NConvert, ffqueue

thomasl
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Three more package requests: XnView MP, NConvert, ffqueue

#1 Post by thomasl » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:50 am

These are all apps I am currently using in my Windows installs. All are also available in native Linux versions and can be downloaded from their authors' websites.

XnView MP is the enhanced version of XnView Classic. It is a powerful picture viewer, browser and converter for Windows, Mac and Linux. This software can read more than 500 formats change picture size, reduce picture file size and much more! See https://www.xnview.com/en/xnviewmp/

NConvert is a powerful command line multi-platform batch image processor with more than 80 commands. Compatible with 500 image formats. See https://www.xnview.com/en/nconvert/

FFQueue is (yet another) graphical user interface for FFMpeg with comprehensive support for both the basic features but also the more advanced features like filtergraphs. FFQueue makes it easy to create multiple jobs and process them as a single queue. See http://ffqueue.bruchhaus.dk/
Dual-boot MX17.1/64 frugal root persistence + Windows 7 on Lenovo Edge72 i5-3470S/12GB and Tosh R950 i5-3340M/8GB
“In foreign countries they fear baldness. They are so rich in foreign countries, they can afford to fear all kinds of silly things.”

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Three more package requests: XnView MP, NConvert, ffqueue

#2 Post by Jerry3904 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:17 am

XnView MP installs without problem on my testing machine.

I didn't spend much time on it--was just interested since I am currently evaluating batch resize options.
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

thomasl
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#3 Post by thomasl » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:44 am

Jerry3904 wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:17 am
XnView MP installs without problem on my testing machine.
I would expect that it does. I mainly posted this here because I was/am under the impression that the Repo guys prefer to have those apps in the repo rather than having us download and install them directly. But perhaps I am wrong.
Dual-boot MX17.1/64 frugal root persistence + Windows 7 on Lenovo Edge72 i5-3470S/12GB and Tosh R950 i5-3340M/8GB
“In foreign countries they fear baldness. They are so rich in foreign countries, they can afford to fear all kinds of silly things.”

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Post by Jerry3904 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:01 pm

Sorry, I was just recording that for the Packagers.
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

timkb4cq
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Post by timkb4cq » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:10 pm

While I have used both XnView and NConvert and agree they are fine programs, there are reasons they can't go in our repositories.

NConvert's free license doesn't allow distribution.
XnView MP has a slightly different restriction:
XnView MP is provided as FREEWARE (NO Adware, NO Spyware) for private or educational use (including non-profit organizations).
We can't police how our users use the software in our repositories so, like debian, we don't put packages with that restriction in our repositories.

I hadn't heard of FFQueue but it looks interesting and it's licensed GPL-3+ so that one certainly deserves consideration.
MSI 970A-G43 MB, AMD FX-6300 (six core), 16GB RAM, GeForce 730, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB

thomasl
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#6 Post by thomasl » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:54 pm

@timkb4cq: I see, hadn't realised that. So perhaps another point to add to that posting about what we should do and check before requesting stuff might be to make sure it is actually under a permissive license.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Post by Stevo » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:28 pm

A workaround for programs with restrictive licenses like would be to add them to the Package Installer, so it gets them directly from the download site. A nice touch would be to pop up the license if it's restrictive and have the user agree to it, but I don't know if MXPI can handle that. If not, maybe just adding "free for personal use only" in the description would be enough.

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#8 Post by fehlix » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:01 pm

Stevo wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:28 pm
A workaround for programs with restrictive licenses like would be to add them to the Package Installer, so it gets them directly from the download site. ...
I wonder if we could add to those package download-installs
a sha256-checksum test , even if we do not have signatures or checksums
provided by the owner of those packages.
The sha256-checksum we could create once when preparing the download-installer.
This would avoid having users get injected with "bad" packages, where
the download-side may have been hacked (or otherwise bad redirected).
If the check-sum test fails, warning might be shown, that something have changed,
either a new version or something else.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#9 Post by Stevo » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:46 pm

I'm looking at FFQueue, but the source's build files as they are shipped will not work. I see that the Arch AUR PKGBUILD modifies a couple files with the sed command, which is how they handle that instead of using patches, but I don't know exactly what the result is so I could duplicate that manually and then turn the changes into a patch:

Code: Select all

sed -i "s?m_ConfigPath = exe;?m_ConfigPath = wxGetCwd();?g" ./src/utils/FFQConfig.cpp
sed -i "s?WX:=../wxWidgets?WX:=/usr/lib/wx?g" ./Makefile.lin
sed -i "s?\$(WX)/gtk-build/wx-config --version=3.1 --static=yes?wx-config?g" ./Makefile.lin
sed -i "s?LINKVARS:=\$(shell wx-config --debug=no --libs) -s -static-libgcc -static-libstdc++?LINKVARS:=\$(shell wx-config --debug=no --libs)  -s -static-libgcc -static-libstdc++ -lz?g" ./Makefile.lin

thomasl
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#10 Post by thomasl » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:17 am

Stevo wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:28 pm
A workaround for programs with restrictive licenses like would be to add them to the Package Installer, so it gets them directly from the download site. A nice touch would be to pop up the license if it's restrictive and have the user agree to it, but I don't know if MXPI can handle that. If not, maybe just adding "free for personal use only" in the description would be enough.
It would certainly be nice if there was either a way to get such packages via MXPI or at least an entry with a hint (perhaps a popup) that there's a reason why they can't be downloaded with (and won't be included in) MXPI.

Return to “Package Requests/Status - MX 17”