-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Request: xserver-xorg-core 2:1.19.6-1 from Debian Buster/Testing

stevesr0
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: Request: xserver-xorg-core 2:1.19.6-1 from Debian Buster/Testing

#21 Post by stevesr0 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:38 pm

UPDATE: figured out how to get persistence files loaded (needed to use F5 at boot to add persistence option), and then the boot time dropped to a little more than a minute (running thru a USB 2 port). So there may be other hangups, but I suspect if run as a either a regular hd install or a frugal install it would be a much quicker boot.

P.S. the Wacom pen works, after changing the xorg-core version, so it isn't faster because the system was ignoring the digitizer.

stevesr0

caprea
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#22 Post by caprea » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:05 pm

Cool ! I'm guessing there's still one minute boot-delay with the live-usb , because your changes you made to the system were written to the ram during the boot.That will surely disappear after a real installation.

stevesr0
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#23 Post by stevesr0 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:52 pm

@ caprea,
Hopefully, that is all it is. However, my liveUSB of antix 16 booted in 24 seconds on this machine...

Even if the boot time from a regular or frugal has some delay, it will be OK if it is less than a minute (I will be happy if it is less than 40 seconds <g>).

stevesr0

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#24 Post by Stevo » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:05 pm

So...does antiX show any interest in rebuilding it for their own repos, or are the devs content with referring to my OBS builds?

stevesr0
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#25 Post by stevesr0 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:10 pm

@Stevo,

I am not sure how one asks this, other than by a personal message to anticapitalista. I will try that on the antix forum (rather than the subforum here), unless someone else knows how it is "normally" done.

stevesr0

stevesr0
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#26 Post by stevesr0 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:08 pm

Hi Stevo,
I was able to perform the install to antiX 17.1 while running from a liveUSB, and saved the install to a frugal. I just did a "regular install to my hard drive (after wiping the disk) and when I try to use the echo command to add your repository to my sources.list.d file, I get permission denied.

Then I attempted to manually make a repository file (like the one that existed in the frugal) in etc/apt/sources.list.d and when I tried to update it, got an error message that the first line was malformed. (the line starting with deb and ending with Debian_9.0/ /.

Appreciate any thoughts on what I am doing wrong.

ALSO, I am unclear about the Release.Key. I assume this is downloaded as part of the deb file, rather than requiring a separate download?

Thanks in advance.

stevesr0

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#27 Post by Stevo » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:10 pm

No, the "Release.key" file is just a separate text file on that repo that you download and then add to your key database with the apt-key command. You can skip the need for getting the key and installing it if you decide to trust it and add "[trusted=yes]" after the "deb" in the command to add the repo, so that it's

Code: Select all

echo 'deb [trusted=yes] http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevenpusser:/xserver-xorg-core-backport-no-systemd/Debian_9.0/ /' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/home:stevenpusser:xserver-xorg-core-backport-no-systemd.list
So that apt won't request a key for that repo.

stevesr0
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#28 Post by stevesr0 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:46 pm

Hi Stevo,

Your patch worked nicely; the boot times came down to about a minute. Then I found a solution to another problem (not related to wacom) and the boot time came down with 17.1 to 30 seconds.

Still almost double the time with 16.1, but not dreadful.

Anticapitalista has patched the standard version and added it to the antix repositories. I haven't tried that version yet to see if it produces equivalent results.

Thanks much.

stevesr0

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#29 Post by Stevo » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:14 pm

Thanks for the update!

stevesr0
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#30 Post by stevesr0 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:03 pm

The patched version by anticapitalista in the antix repositories (2:1.19.2-1.0nosystemd2) also gives similar improvements (5 minutes to 1 minute on my system).

Thanks again.

(Just not sure why only Wacom is affected by this bug in the xserver-xore-core.)

stevesr0

Return to “Package Requests/Status - MX 17”