-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

MX 17 Repository: The Polo File Manager Thread

richb
Administrator

Re: MX 17 Repository: The Polo File Manager Thread

#11 Post by richb » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:48 am

I just wish thunar had a dual pane mode. I know it has tabs but I find dual pane more useful That is why I use dolphin almost exclusively.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

nathan2423
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#12 Post by nathan2423 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:59 am

This is GREAT and I am really looking forward to its development. Thought I would note that for me, clicking on the "Properties" button in the top menu throws my machine for a complete loop, throwing me to a black screen and causing me to have to reboot as I don't seem to be able to recover. Not sure what could cause that, but I note that I did change the theme to Greybird-MX17. No doubt I am doing something wrong but thought I would note this as it has happened to me several times
dreamer wrote:
Stevo wrote:It has some built-in theme adjustment, so I think it's using it's own Arc Darker Polo theme by default, but you should be able to change it to the system GTK 3 theme in the Settings.
Yes I did that and noticed that most themes have problems with the Polo side-pane. Then I noticed that Tony is aware of that. There is a tooltip in Settings displaying a message that only Arc Darker Polo theme will look right. Polo is still labeled beta so hopefully it will be compatible out of the box with most themes once it's out of beta status.
Stevo wrote:I'm planning to do Selene, as well as some other interesting programs that TG has authored.

richb
Administrator

#13 Post by richb » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:30 pm

It is a beta. Toggling the right side information panel displays it, but toggling back throws me to the login screen. I assume these glitches will be fixed for a release. It is an ambitious project.
Forum Rules

Rich
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

nathan2423
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#14 Post by nathan2423 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:24 pm

Yep that is what I am experiencing. Thanks richb

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#15 Post by Stevo » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:51 pm

There is supposed to be a new 18.4 beta soon. I remember seeing something Tuesday about a Properties crash issue being fixed on one of TG's pages about Polo, or his blog, but obviously there's still something wrong.

The new Selene 17.7 is in the test repo now, too. I changed one of the presets to use the x265 video codec instead of x264, and it worked and compressed the x264 video to half its size...but much more slowly than x264.

bakedcookie
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#16 Post by bakedcookie » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:41 am

My, Just as I thought, when someone start to discovered polo
they start to expect that it'd become Thunar replacement in future.
So, my hunch was right. That it's more like Dolphin in GTK way for Xfce.
Man, Thunar should switch the name with polo. The hammer of god should be cool & quality.
It's been so long Thunar that Thunar been make fun of.

But there's haunted error between built after built new gee, vte, valac for polo latest build only success first time.
But if practice build it 2nd & other more time it won't success anymore. even re-download & built again it won't work.
Sometimes even I reinstall linux & rebuild all these packages again it won't compiled anymoe still error
GLib.Thread.create has been deprecated since 2.32 again.
Just like when I was package notepadqq it work only first build but not 2nd+ anymore.
My first built was on 17.10 beta but I accident delete from format. :bawling:

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#17 Post by Stevo » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:53 pm

The method we use to build Debian packages should be reproducible on anyone's machine, though I still have to add the need for the newer valac in Polo's build-depends. It needs the newer valac from the test repo to build.

The novice can easily rebuild MX packages by adding matching deb-src lines for their MX sources, then running

Code: Select all

apt-get source <package>
sudo apt-get build-dep <package>
Enter the new source directory and run

Code: Select all

dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -j<X>
Where <X>=number of cores/threads you want working on the build. You can of course make changes in the debian folder before doing the build, like if you want to change some configuration option.

bakedcookie
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#18 Post by bakedcookie » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:38 am

Thank you, Steve. I use dh_make --createorig with dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc method.
It's easy to build. I might learn pbuilder from you later because I can't get the picture yet.
If you already made tutorial about pbuilder you can throw the link here.

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#19 Post by asqwerth » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:27 am

Hmm, I couldn't figure out how to mount and open my NAS with Polo, and it didn't seem to have the "compare directories" function that sunflower has, which I use to back up some folders from HDD to NAS.

I'm sticking to sunflower for now.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

richb
Administrator

#20 Post by richb » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:40 am

asqwerth wrote:Hmm, I couldn't figure out how to mount and open my NAS with Polo, and it didn't seem to have the "compare directories" function that sunflower has, which I use to back up some folders from HDD to NAS.

I'm sticking to sunflower for now.
You might want to take a look at FreeFileSync for comparing and syncing directories. I use it all the time to sync Dropbox to Google Drive to have two identical cloud storage backups.

https://www.freefilesync.org/
Forum Rules

Rich

Return to “Package Requests/Status - MX 17”