-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

MX 17 Repository: The Polo File Manager Thread

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

MX 17 Repository: The Polo File Manager Thread

#1 Post by Stevo » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:55 pm

I've just sent the Polo packages for 18.3.1 up to the test repo, but you can also install the deb for your architecture from this zip. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AkthO ... YP9yGcN1AM Depending on what you have already installed on your system, this may also install a lot of packages to support Polo's many features, such as built-in file archive support, or ffmpeg to support the built-in audio/video previews. There are also many other optional packages for additional features that won't be installed by default, such as rclone for the built-in cloud storage support( including Google Drive). You can check to see what else is needed in the Polo Settings for a particular feature to work. There are also a few plugins that are only available as a bonus for paid supporters of his work.

The developer, Tony George, is actively working on improving the program. He's also the developer of the Conky Manager program that we ship with MX 17, and has added many features to Polo. Here's a video review of a somewhat older version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md7gxwwK0Lo and there's also a wiki that I've just started to explore myself. https://github.com/teejee2008/polo/wiki

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: MX 17 Repository: The Polo File Manager Thread

#2 Post by asqwerth » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:20 am

Cool.

Isn't it a dual paned file manager as well?
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

richb
Administrator

#3 Post by richb » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:15 am

It does have dual panes and tabs. I have been evaluating Polo and it is a very nice file manager. The cloud integration feature is a big plus for me. So far I have had no issues. I do need to see if there is an open in root file manager and root terminal are available.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

dreamer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Post by dreamer » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:13 am

I installed it and noticed that it doesn't theme like other GTK3 applications, Caja for example. Maybe themes have to be adjusted to support Polo? Looking at GTK themes it seems many applications have theme adjustments. Apart from that it seems powerful, there are things I really like.

I noticed one other program of interest, Selene Media Encoder:
https://github.com/teejee2008/selene

I think it looks simpler than Handbrake so could be nice to have in MXPI or in test repo.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Post by Stevo » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:08 pm

It has some built-in theme adjustment, so I think it's using it's own Arc Darker Polo theme by default, but you should be able to change it to the system GTK 3 theme in the Settings.

If it doesn't have root actions built-in, we could open an issue on its github page and request that feature. One review I saw that was from a while ago on webupd8 said that adding support for Nemo addons was under consideration, but I don't see that mentioned anywhere currently.

It needs rclone for the cloud support, but does not depend on it, so that would have to be installed manually. There's a newer version of rclone upstream that I will try to backport, as well as port in groot from github. Apparently it can use groot to chroot into another installed version of Linux and install packages, etc., so you could use it from a live session to repair a broken install---such as if you accidentally broke it by deleting the kernel, for example.

I'm planning to do Selene, as well as some other interesting programs that TG has authored.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Post by Stevo » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:27 pm

Just for the record, Polo also had really frustrating build errors until I backported a newer valac from Buster, though it didn't check for a minimum version. It doesn't need any newer runtime libraries from that compiler, it just errors out with a compiler error with an older valac.

TODO: see if valac 0.40.2 will backport to MX 15 and try to build Polo there.

richb
Administrator

#7 Post by richb » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:47 pm

It does have a root action to open a root file manager. I do not know recall how it is done as it is not a right click menu item. But it was explained in the video.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#8 Post by Stevo » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:53 pm

richb wrote:It does have a root action to open a root file manager. I do not know recall how it is done as it is not a right click menu item. But it was explained in the video.
Yes, there's a lot to go through. It has a lot of features, for sure! I notice that it will use thumbnail prieviews for files if another file manager like Dolphin has already generated them, such as for pdf and epub files, but doesn't seem to create them itself. And opening up a folder with a zillion thumbnails like my epub collection will take a while, several times longer than Dolphin.

dreamer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#9 Post by dreamer » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:34 am

Stevo wrote:It has some built-in theme adjustment, so I think it's using it's own Arc Darker Polo theme by default, but you should be able to change it to the system GTK 3 theme in the Settings.
Yes I did that and noticed that most themes have problems with the Polo side-pane. Then I noticed that Tony is aware of that. There is a tooltip in Settings displaying a message that only Arc Darker Polo theme will look right. Polo is still labeled beta so hopefully it will be compatible out of the box with most themes once it's out of beta status.
Stevo wrote:I'm planning to do Selene, as well as some other interesting programs that TG has authored.
Thanks. TG seems really talented. I hope he didn't bite off more than he can chew with Polo's all features. Polo is probably overkill for my needs. I would have preferred a standalone version of Dolphin. Dolphin works quite well as is, but I also have 500+ KDE packages installed. That being said I don't really "need" anything more than Thunar.

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#10 Post by Jerry3904 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:39 am

That being said I don't really "need" anything more than Thunar.
+1
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

Return to “Package Requests/Status - MX 17”