-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

MX-17 package proposal: pdfsizeopt, an advanced PDF shrinking tool

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

MX-17 package proposal: pdfsizeopt, an advanced PDF shrinking tool

#1 Post by MX-16_fan » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:22 pm

Dear repo men,

after many years without any fits-all solution available on Linux-based systems, some people built an advanced PDF file size optimizer, named pdfsizeopt. This small tool relies on ghostscript and Python. Source code is available on GitHub: https://github.com/pts/pdfsizeopt.

Btw. its syntax is foolproof, plus the tool is cross-platform!

Shrinking PDFs locally for obvious reasons is far better than doing it online.

The "shrink" task regularly occurs when you have to send people PDFs who have a 5 or 10 MB limit for e-mail attachments.

I think this tool would be of great value in MX-17. Unfortunately I can't find any debianization example.

Greetings, Joe

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: MX-17 package proposal: pdfsizeopt, an advanced PDF shrinking tool

#2 Post by skidoo » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:54 pm

Unfortunately I can't find any debianization example.
Here's a search strategy walkthrough:

At the link destination you provided, click "Insights"; then, on the resulting page, click "Network".
(Alternatively, one might click "Forks". However, the "Network" page shows a nice, timelined, visual graph of active forks.)
On the "Network" page, can traverse the timeline by using kb arrows (alone, or in conjunction with Ctrl key)
Clicking any name displayed within the leftmost column will open the associated repo in a new browser tab.

In the example of pdfsizeopt, none of the (very few) forks contain a debian subdirectory... so try another tack:
Visit the github homepage and perform a site-wide search for "pdfsizeopt".
The starting point item (in the link you posted) is a python program, so click "python" to filter the search results.
Within the search results, the items with "most stars" are, predictably, a main|parent repo.

Sometimes (but not in this case) you'll discover that a parent project has languished, yet a standout, highly-starred, same-named similar project shows up in the search results ~~ authors have multiple reasons / motivations for creating a new repository tree instead of "forking" an existing project. In the absence of highly-starred candidates, IMO it's usually desirable to change the sortBy display order (Recently Updated) before Shift+click'ing to visit the project page of each listed item. In this case, might just skip that step b/c there are only 13 items to browse... but by doing so, in this example, my second click led to a "debianized" pdfsizeopt source repo (owner:rbrito).

Although the above strategy doesn't consider the _quality_ of this particular "debianized" repo,
at least you discover (and can let the packaging team know) that a potential candidate exists.

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#3 Post by MX-16_fan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:46 am

skidoo:
skidoo wrote: Visit the github homepage and perform a site-wide search for "pdfsizeopt".
The starting point item (in the link you posted) is a python program, so click "python" to filter the search results.
Within the search results, the items with "most stars" are, predictably, a main|parent repo.
(...)
In the absence of highly-starred candidates, IMO it's usually desirable to change the sortBy display order (Recently Updated) before Shift+click'ing to visit the project page of each listed item. In this case, might just skip that step b/c there are only 13 items to browse... but by doing so, in this example, my second click led to a "debianized" pdfsizeopt source repo (owner:rbrito).
Doesn't work for me that way. When I use the general search and then filter by "python", I get only five search results, all of them code only.

Searching the web for "rbrito pdfsizeopt", I can find https://github.com/rbrito/pkg-pdfsizeopt, but I don't see any *.deb packages in there either. Seems as if I was doing something wrong here.

Greetings, Joe

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Post by skidoo » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:13 pm

github hosts source code repositories. We should not expect to find .deb files hosted there.
What you (and the packagers) are looking for, to indicate ready-made "debianization" of a given project,
will reside in a debian/ subdirectory (immediately visible, if present, right on a project's top-level page).

To be certain the "is named debian/" subdirectory does in fact contain a set of files providing packaging instructions,
can click/browse its contents to verify that it contain files named "rules", "compat", "control" et al (screenshot)

Visit the github homepage and perform a site-wide search for "pdfsizeopt".
Doesn't work for me that way. When I use the general search and then filter by "python",
The key detail is to search from the github home page. I rechecked today, same (13) results.
Here's the search result url, result of using the "Search GitHub" box displayed atop the homepage https://github.com/
then clicking to apply python-only filter:
https://github.com/search?l=Python&q=pd ... =%E2%9C%93

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#5 Post by MX-16_fan » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:20 pm

@skidoo:
skidoo wrote:(...) To be certain the "is named debian/" subdirectory does in fact contain a set of files providing packaging instructions, ... . (...)
Thanks, skidoo, now I am getting what you mean. I'd thought that the repo men would like to see a ready-made *.deb package as a debianization example, not a set of instructions.
skidoo wrote:The key detail is to search from the github home page. I rechecked today, same (13) results.
This is really weird. That's exactly what I used. However, today it's 13 here also.

Thanks a lot for your advice, and have a nice weekend, Joe

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Post by MX-16_fan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:02 pm

@Stevo:

Does that look like difficult to package to you?

Greetings, Joe

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Post by Stevo » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:18 pm

I'll take a look eventually. Python packages don't add dependencies automatically, and the developers often don't list them. We have in the past have had to decipher cryptic python trace fail messages that appear on some user's machines and not on others, which is a real headache. Plus python packages can use a variety of internal install mechanisms that can be a pain to integrate with the Debian system, so I would have to look to see how this one does it.

Since it's the AUR, maybe they have an idea of what python modules it depends on...https://repology.org/metapackage/pdfsizeopt/versions

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#8 Post by MX-16_fan » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:35 pm

@Stevo:
Stevo wrote:I'll take a look eventually. (...)
Thanks so much!
Stevo wrote:Since it's the AUR, maybe they have an idea of what python modules it depends on...https://repology.org/metapackage/pdfsizeopt/versions
I could write an e-mail to Mr Behar and ask him if that helps.

Greetings, Joe

Return to “Package Requests/Status - MX 17”