-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

MX-17 package update proposal: "Ring - A GNU package" (a Free Software alternative to Skype)

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: MX-17 package update proposal: "Ring - A GNU package" (a Free Software alternative to Skype)

#21 Post by Stevo » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:47 pm

The package installer only activates the backports repo while it's running. It's disabled otherwise to prevent any unintended upgrades or installs. Just install Ring from the list in MXPI, backports section.

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: MX-17 package update proposal: "Ring - A GNU package" (a Free Software alternative to Skype)

#22 Post by MX-16_fan » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:19 am

@Stevo:
Stevo wrote:The package installer only activates the backports repo while it's running.
Thanks. Why is it that the MX Repo Manager / Synaptic combo doesn't work here?
Stevo wrote:Just install Ring from the list in MXPI, backports section.
Installs o.k., starts without issues. However, it brought some Evolution package with it, so as an Evolution user you'd probably have to be careful when getting GNU Ring from Backports.

I'll give you more feedback after further testing.

Greetings, Joe

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#23 Post by asqwerth » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:41 am

Why is it that the MX Repo Manager / Synaptic combo doesn't work here?
Repo Manager is to change the mirror location from which you download the Stable Debian and MX Repos. It doesn't switch from Stable to Debian backports or MX Test
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#24 Post by MX-16_fan » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:29 am

@asqwerth:
asqwerth wrote:
Why is it that the MX Repo Manager / Synaptic combo doesn't work here?
Repo Manager is to change the mirror location from which you download the Stable Debian and MX Repos. It doesn't switch from Stable to Debian backports or MX Test
Maybe you have an older version on your machine? I've always been using it for switching individual repos on and off, at least for a year. Currently using version 17.12.

Greetings, Joe

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#25 Post by asqwerth » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:57 am

Interesting, I never noticed that tab for individual sources.

But then I can't explain why you couldn't find the package using Repo Mgr.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#26 Post by Stevo » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:58 pm

Because of the backports repo's low preference settings, in Synaptic you must go into its Settings/Preferences/Distributions and specifically tell it to to prefer packages from stretch-backports.

IMPORTANT! Do not tell Synaptic to prefer a certain distribution, then later disable it in your sources. This will cause Synaptic to error out on startup. Any possibility of this error can be prevented by using the Package Installer instead.

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#27 Post by MX-16_fan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:02 pm

@Stevo:
Stevo wrote:Because of the backports repo's low preference settings, in Synaptic you must go into its Settings/Preferences/Distributions and specifically tell it to to prefer packages from stretch-backports.
Whereas normally "mx" would be the preference over stretch-backports?
Stevo wrote:IMPORTANT! Do not tell Synaptic to prefer a certain distribution, then later disable it in your sources. This will cause Synaptic to error out on startup. Any possibility of this error can be prevented by using the Package Installer instead.
Thanks for the warning.

Greetings, and have a great week, Joe

timkb4cq
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#28 Post by timkb4cq » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:04 pm

Stevo wrote:IMPORTANT! Do not tell Synaptic to prefer a certain distribution, then later disable it in your sources. This will cause Synaptic to error out on startup. Any possibility of this error can be prevented by using the Package Installer instead.
And since, of course, I've done this more than once :duh: I know that the setting is stored near the end of /root/.synaptic/synaptic.conf
just in case anybody need to recover from it...
MSI 970A-G43 MB, AMD FX-6300 (six core), 16GB RAM, GeForce 730, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#29 Post by MX-16_fan » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:11 pm

UPDATE:

Did a couple of successful functionality tests on my former system, all fine.

However, I don't dare test it in daily use on a productive system because I can't risk a backports/stable hickup.

However, since they now have an official "Debian 9" package (https://dl.ring.cx/ring-manual/debian_9/), I guess it would be easy to officially package it for MX-17 also.

@Stevo: Any chance we could get a package? In case you can provide an official test package, I could install it on a productive system, and could test it thoroughly over a longer period of time, connecting with a colleague who relies on Apple devices (Ring is multi-platform).

Greetings, Joe

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#30 Post by Stevo » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:06 pm

The stretch-backports maintainers are supposed to use the same procedures as we do for the MX repos, so they are almost always safe to use. Sometimes we suspect other procedures are taking place, as in the libreoffice backports that we can't replicate.

But I'll take a look at ring.

Return to “Package Requests/Status - MX 17”