-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

MX-17 package update proposal: "Ring - A GNU package" (a Free Software alternative to Skype)

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: MX-17 package update proposal: "Ring - A GNU package" (a Free Software alternative to Skype)

#11 Post by Stevo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:01 pm

Sadly, their repository just contains deb files and no sources: https://dl.ring.cx/ring-nightly/debian_ ... in/r/ring/

But since they have a Stretch repository, why not let them do the work and just add it to MX 17? It shouldn't be hard to add that to the package installer.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: MX-17 package update proposal: "Ring - A GNU package" (a Free Software alternative to Skype)

#12 Post by Stevo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:09 pm

There's already a quite recent version in stretch-backports: https://packages.debian.org/stretch-backports/ring

so that's another option, and the package-installer also makes that simple to install. Has anyone tested this version?

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#13 Post by Jerry3904 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:14 pm

Please don't even think of packaging anything until the one that exists has been tested by more than one user.
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#14 Post by MX-16_fan » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:47 pm

@Caesar2:
Caesar2 wrote:Is the proposal being considered for MX? Accepted or rejected? Just curious cuz I ain't doing Skype again.
Understandable!

If I see it correctly, so far there's only some far outdated "beta 2" as of two years ago available for MX-17.

In Ubuntu, a much more current version has been uploaded to Launchpad by the end of last year (cf. https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ring).

Greetings, and a nice weekend to everyone, Joe

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#15 Post by Stevo » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:16 pm

Again, you can use the package installer to install and test the ring package from stretch-backports, which is from Dec. 2017. I would consider this "available".

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#16 Post by MX-16_fan » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:21 pm

@Stevo:
Stevo wrote:There's already a quite recent version in stretch-backports: https://packages.debian.org/stretch-backports/ring (...)
Thanks for the info, Stevo!

I would be happy to test it. In your opinion, would it be halfway safe to do that, or could that mess up my now nice clean MX-17 system? (I don't have a second system to trash here right now.)

EDIT: In order to explain my question: I'm asking that because I read that the Ubuntu guys generally tend to regard Backports packages as rather risky to install. I don't know what it's like in MX.

Greetings, and have a nice weekend, Joe

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#17 Post by Stevo » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:17 pm

Stretch-backports are usually pefectly safe to install. That's why we have them in the package installer. In the past, once in a great while, they have broken some packages such as VLC by updating a package already in backports, which removed a specific version of a library that the backported VLC needed, but we were able to work around their problem by adding the needed library to our repo.

Other rare problems involved the backporter not following policy and building the packages on upstream Debian instead of the target release, but then they wouldn't install at all.

Backporting, when done correctly, creates compatible packages. That's what we do for the MX repo packages. Maybe Ubuntu was warning about the possibility of not getting the automatic security fixes on backported packages that you get with the "stable" versions.

timkb4cq
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#18 Post by timkb4cq » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:32 pm

Generally, debian-backports packages are pretty safe, although leaving the backports repo enabled for regular updates has led to problems more than once and isn't recommended. What to watch for is system libraries being upgraded from backports to support the program. Those don't usually cause problems, but when there are problems they are almost always the culprit.

Ring in stretch-backports doesn't bring in any updated system libraries from backports with it so it's very unlikely to mess up an install. If it causes problems you can just uninstall it.
MSI 970A-G43 MB, AMD FX-6300 (six core), 16GB RAM, GeForce 730, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#19 Post by MX-16_fan » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:51 pm

@Stevo:
Stevo wrote:... you can use the package installer to install and test the ring package from stretch-backports, which is from Dec. 2017. (...)
Tried out option #1. Activated stretch-backports in the MX Repo Manager, started Synaptic, refreshed sources. Still, all I can see is the ring package labelled "20161221.2.7bd7d91~dfsg1-1". What did I do wrong?

I can perfectly well see the version you mean on https://packages.debian.org/source/stre ... ports/ring.

Greetings, and thanks in advance for your answer, Joe

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#20 Post by MX-16_fan » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:54 pm

@timkb4cq:
timkb4cq wrote:Generally, debian-backports packages are pretty safe, although leaving the backports repo enabled for regular updates has led to problems more than once and isn't recommended. What to watch for is system libraries being upgraded from backports to support the program. Those don't usually cause problems, but when there are problems they are almost always the culprit.

Ring in stretch-backports doesn't bring in any updated system libraries from backports with it so it's very unlikely to mess up an install. If it causes problems you can just uninstall it.
Thanks for that piece of information. So I'll go for the backports version for testing only. Greetings, Joe

Return to “Package Requests/Status - MX 17”