Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

MX 17/18 Repository: The Featherpad Thread

Stevo
Developer

MX 17/18 Repository: The Featherpad Thread

#1 Post by Stevo »

The default text editor shipped with MX 17, Featherpad, has been updated to 0.7 in the main repository. Notably, this fixes a scrolling bug that annoyed an reviewer who otherwise praised MX liberally. Other changes/fixes:
● Now, there is a side-pane mode, which can be activated by its shortcut/menu-item or used by default. It has filtering and other properties not existing in the tab mode.
● Save the cursor positions for files managed by the session dialog.
● An option to save a session only from the current window.
● Opened symlinks are distinguished visually and there are tab context menu-items specificaly for them (thanks to "agaida" at GitHub for the idea).
● Handling of huge files/lines as well as non-text files. They are opened read-only and cannot be modified/saved.
● Much faster HTML and CSS syntax highlighting.
● French translation by Cyril Cottet. (Is this our Cyril? Probably! :number1: )
● Many bug fixes and also some workarounds for Qt bugs.
Though I see that there's 0.7.1 coming to also close the warning bar on scrolling, so watch this space...

By the way, I also set up an Featherpad OBS repo for Debian and Ubuntu. I just found out that I can now enable arm7 (Rasp. Pi) and arm 64 builds for Stretch, too. https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... featherpad
Last edited by Stevo on Tue May 21, 2019 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyrilus31

Re: MX 17 Repository: The Featherpad Thread

#2 Post by cyrilus31 »

● French translation by Cyril Cottet. (Is this our Cyril? Probably! :number1: )
Yes sir! But I corrected typos and he added strings I need to translate.
There so much to translate I could spend my whole life :bawling:

Stevo
Developer

#3 Post by Stevo »

An update from yesterdays git version in now in the main repository, rolling up all translation updates, as well as adding the options to show the current character position in the status bar and a movable character guideline in files where it detects syntax, such as program code, and you're using a monospaced font. So you can set the guideline at the default 80 characters to make sure you don't have lines over that.

Stevo
Developer

#4 Post by Stevo »

Another update to ~git20180207 now adds easy and configurable date/time pasting with a right-click. Another new feature I forgot to mention with the last update is configurable auto-save.

Stevo
Developer

#5 Post by Stevo »

Updated to 0.8~git20180215 in main! This new version add an option to automatically clean out all trailing spaces when a file is saved (useful!), and also to highlight URLs in a file with syntax with the <Ctl> key. You can then click on the URL and open it with the default browser. This is in addition to many other bug fixes and code refactoring.

Stevo
Developer

#6 Post by Stevo »

We now have the new 0.8 release in the test repo. Changes from 0.7 to 0.8, some of which we already have in our pre-release build, include:

● The new hard-coded symbolic SVG icons change color to have high contrast with their backgrounds. Using them instead of system icons is recommended.
● Auto-saving of opened files is supported.
● An option is added for showing the cursor position on the status-bar.
● Syntax override is supported with an optional language button on the status bar.
● An option is added for showing vertical position lines.
● Now, a default URL syntax highlighter will be present if line/doc ends or position lines are shown and the syntax is highlighted by default.
● A configurable date and time pasting is added.
● Now, it's possible to open hyperlinks of highlighted texts by left-clicking them while Ctrl is pressed and also with an item in their context menus.
● An option is added for removing trailing spaces on saving.
● Undo/Redo is included in custom shortcuts.
● The search bar is made more compact.
● The warning bar is made better.
● For more stability, a lock file is used instead of QSharedMemory for creating a single instance app.
● QRegExp is replaced by QRegularExpression everywhere (for more powerful regex handling).
● fpad is added as the symlink to featherpad (for easier command-line usage).
● SCSS is added to syntax highlighting.
● Syntax highlighting is made better.
● A Translators tab is added to the About dialog. (Includes cyrilus31 for the French localization!)
● Several small issues are fixed here and there.

We would appreciate feedback if you give it a try so we can move it to the main repo. I don't know if there are any Ubuntu builds yet, but I have them in an OBS repository: https://build.opensuse.org/project/show ... Featherpad

bwhawk

#7 Post by bwhawk »

I haven't run into any problems using 0.8, but I'm hardly a heavy user. At first, I thought it wasn't saving options. Then I realized I had previously launched FP from the terminal using sudo instead of gksudo. That changed the owner of ~/.config/featherpad/fp.conf to root. Once I changed the owner back, saving options worked as expected. I like the option for removing trailing spaces on save.

Stevo
Developer

#8 Post by Stevo »

bwhawk wrote:I haven't run into any problems using 0.8, but I'm hardly a heavy user. At first, I thought it wasn't saving options. Then I realized I had previously launched FP from the terminal using sudo instead of gksudo. That changed the owner of ~/.config/featherpad/fp.conf to root. Once I changed the owner back, saving options worked as expected. I like the option for removing trailing spaces on save.
Yes, I really like that option, too. It cleans up any messy edits I do like a long-suffering mother.

Old Giza

#9 Post by Old Giza »

I just do very basic text editing with Featherpad, and it's fine for that. One really tiny problem that I have with it is that if the last line of the file doesn't have a newline, FP will add one when it saves the file. Just trying to be helpful I guess, but sometimes there's no newline there for a reason and I don't want editors to do stuff I didn't ask for. Most editors do the same thing, so I can't complain. (However, nano has a -L option to prevent that.)

bwhawk

#10 Post by bwhawk »

You can turn off that extra line at the end. Uncheck the box in Options > Preferences > Text > Ensure an empty last line on saving.

Return to “Package Requests/Status - MX 17/18”