MX 17/18 Repository: The Virtual Box Thread

Stevo
Developer

Re: MX 17 Repository: The Virtual Box Thread

#11 Post by Stevo »

Updated to 5.2.16, sourced from Debian Sid, in the test repo. Debian has added their own patch to prevent the guest modules from trying to load on a real hardware install, but it may throw up a message informing the user that they aren't loading.

Stevo
Developer

#12 Post by Stevo »

We now have the latest Virtual Box 5.2.18 packages in the test repo. One improvement that stands out is that guests running the 4.17 kernel are now able to build and use its guest modules successfully.

Stevo
Developer

#13 Post by Stevo »

Virtual Box 5.2.20 from Sid, along with the matching guest-iso and extension pack installer packages, is now available in our test repository. Changes and fixes include:
This is a maintenance release. The following items were fixed and/or added:

VMM: fixed task switches triggered by INTn instruction (bug #17979)
Storage: fixed connecting to certain iSCSI targets (bug #17507)
Storage: fixed handling of flush requests when configured to be ignored when the host I/O cache is used (bug #17573)
Drag and drop: implemented support for UNC paths (bug #17146)
Drag and drop: fixed resuming operation when restoring from a saved state (bug #17649)
Drag and drop: fixed copying files with long file names (> 248 characters) from guests to Windows hosts (bug #17447)
Drag and drop: fixed handling files with Unicode names on Windows guests (bug #15501)
Drag and drop: fixed copying empty (0-byte) files to / from guests (bugs #14863 + #17443)
Drag and drop: fixed copying over files from hosts to Linux guests (bug #16025)
Networking: restore connectivity for guests bridged to host adapters that were unavailable temporarily (Windows hosts, bug #17090)
Guest Control: fixed hang when using --wait-stdout and/or --wait-stderr (bug #17386). Needs updating Guest Additions
Video recording: fixed starting video recording on VM power up (bug #17307)
Linux Additions: various build fixes for kernel modules on recent distributions, and made sure modules end up in initramfs files
Linux Additions: build fixes for 4.19, thank you Larry Finger
Linux Additions: various small fixes for video driver

Stevo
Developer

#14 Post by Stevo »

We now have 5.2.22 in the test repo, backported from Debian Sid, along with the guest-addition-iso and ext-pack packages as usual. Among the standard lot of bug fixes, this version also improves compatibility with the 4.19 kernel.

Stevo
Developer

#15 Post by Stevo »

We are moving 5.2.22 to main to support builds on the 4.19 kernel coming with MX 18, but older kernels are still supported.

All users with virtualbox packages will be seeing the upgrades.

Stevo
Developer

#16 Post by Stevo »

Virtual Box 5.2.24, backported from upstream Debian, has landed in the test repo. Among the usual bugfixes and the like, this version also fixes building on 4.20 kernels. It's working well so far for me.

I also have the new 6.0.2 sources from Debian Experimental, but if I can build them, they'll go to our own experimental repo.

Stevo
Developer

#17 Post by Stevo »

We now have Virtual Box 6.0.4 in the test repo, with 5.2.24 moving to main.

The new version seems to be ignoring theme colors--you can have any GUI color you like as long as it's stark white.

If you are using a dark theme and get white text on that white background, right-click the menu entry, click "Edit Application", and use one of these strings for the command to get black text:

Code: Select all

VirtualBox -style gtk %U

Code: Select all

VirtualBox -style qt %U

manyroads

#18 Post by manyroads »

I have installed the Testrepo version of VirtualBox 6 and successfully run my virtual machines. The only issue I have noticed thus far is that the virtualbox (meta) selection does not install all the items I think are required to run VBox. The manually installed items are in this image:
Missing from meta install..png
Here's what V6 looks like on my MX18 Desktop.
VBox 6-1.jpg
VBox 6-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

fehlix
Developer

#19 Post by fehlix »

manyroads wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:44 pm I have installed the Testrepo version of VirtualBox 6 and successfully run my virtual machines.
Looks goot manyroads. Some questions: Is Shared Folder working? And what kernel version do you use? Have you also installed new guest-additions within the linux or windows guests?
Thanks
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

manyroads

#20 Post by manyroads »

fehlix wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:11 pm Looks goot manyroads. Some questions: Is Shared Folder working? And what kernel version do you use? Have you also installed new guest-additions within the linux or windows guests?
Thanks
:puppy:
Shared Folders (work fine) tested on Win10-- works normally; virtualbox mx-edu platform ---works normally
My Desktop is using MX 18_x64 kernel: 4.19.3-antix.1-amd64-smpx86

Here's a synaptic shot of what I have installed.
VBox Installed.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Return to “Package Requests/Status - MX 17/18”