Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

MX 17 Repository: The firefox thread

mmikeinsantarosa
Developer

MX 17 Repository: The firefox thread

#1 Post by mmikeinsantarosa »

firefox-57.0 is now ready for download from the test repo.

This update is also good for MEPIS12/MX14,15,16.
LT: MX19.1 Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-6820HQ Kernel: 5.0.0-7.1-liquorix-amd64 x86_64

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: MX 17 Repository: The firefox thread

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

Is anybody going to make a general announcement about the BIG CHANGES? I found it a real annoyance at first this business-day morning...

EDIT: just got this link in an email, might help

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

stsoh

#3 Post by stsoh »

MX-17.1_x64 Horizon, G41M-P33 Combo (MS-7592), Pentium E5400 (2706 MHz), 8Gb RAM (984 MT/s),
Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics, Realtek PCIe Fast RTL8101/2/6E, PCI Gigabit RTL8169 Ethernets.
Accepted Linux when i found MX-Linux in 2016.

mmikeinsantarosa
Developer

#4 Post by mmikeinsantarosa »

Here's what's changed:
Version 57.0, first offered to Release channel users on November 14, 2017

Firefox now exclusively supports extensions built using the WebExtension API, and unsupported legacy extensions will no longer work. Learn more about our efforts to improve the performance and security of extensions
The browser's autoscroll feature, as well as scrolling by keyboard input and touch-dragging of scrollbars, now use asynchronous scrolling. These scrolling methods are now similar to other input methods like mousewheel, and provide a smoother scrolling experience
The content process now has a stricter security sandbox that blocks filesystem reading and writing on Linux, similar to the protections for Windows and macOS that shipped in Firefox 56
Middle mouse paste in the content area no longer navigates to URLs by default on Unix systems
Removed the toolbar Share button. If you relied on this feature, you can install the Share Backported extension instead.
Some older versions of the ATOK IME, including ATOK 2006, 2008, 2009 and 2010, can cause crashes and are therefore disabled on the Windows 64-bit version of Firefox Quantum. To fix those incompatibility issues, please use a newer version of ATOK or one of other IMEs.
The default font for Japanese text is now Meiryo

More:
Note: In Firefox version 57, in release on November 14, 2017, only extensions built with this new technology will work in Firefox. A majority of the most popular add-ons are already compatible, so most users should not notice any changes.

To see if you have incompatible extensions installed, click the menu button Fx57menu and choose Add-ons (or enter about:addons in a new tab) to open the Add-ons Manager. From there, you should be able to find recommended replacements for any legacy extensions. You can read more about this feature in this Add-ons blog post.
For more information, check out the mozilla site.
LT: MX19.1 Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-6820HQ Kernel: 5.0.0-7.1-liquorix-amd64 x86_64

richb
Administrator

#5 Post by richb »

Runs nicely. I may even be lured away from GC The two main addons I use are no issue.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Jerry3904
Administrator

#6 Post by Jerry3904 »

mmikeinsantarosa wrote:Here's what's changed:
Version 57.0, first offered to Release channel users on November 14, 2017

Firefox now exclusively supports extensions built using the WebExtension API, and unsupported legacy extensions will no longer work. Learn more about our efforts to improve the performance and security of extensions
The browser's autoscroll feature, as well as scrolling by keyboard input and touch-dragging of scrollbars, now use asynchronous scrolling. These scrolling methods are now similar to other input methods like mousewheel, and provide a smoother scrolling experience
The content process now has a stricter security sandbox that blocks filesystem reading and writing on Linux, similar to the protections for Windows and macOS that shipped in Firefox 56
Middle mouse paste in the content area no longer navigates to URLs by default on Unix systems
Removed the toolbar Share button. If you relied on this feature, you can install the Share Backported extension instead.
Some older versions of the ATOK IME, including ATOK 2006, 2008, 2009 and 2010, can cause crashes and are therefore disabled on the Windows 64-bit version of Firefox Quantum. To fix those incompatibility issues, please use a newer version of ATOK or one of other IMEs.
The default font for Japanese text is now Meiryo

More:
Note: In Firefox version 57, in release on November 14, 2017, only extensions built with this new technology will work in Firefox. A majority of the most popular add-ons are already compatible, so most users should not notice any changes.

To see if you have incompatible extensions installed, click the menu button Fx57menu and choose Add-ons (or enter about:addons in a new tab) to open the Add-ons Manager. From there, you should be able to find recommended replacements for any legacy extensions. You can read more about this feature in this Add-ons blog post.
Thanks, Mike. Maybe Rich (please?) can make a post here in the general announcement forum, then I will post that link with a comment on the social media I oversee.

For more information, check out the mozilla site.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

mmikeinsantarosa
Developer

#7 Post by mmikeinsantarosa »

If anybody that needs the language packs could test this to see what happens, it would be nice to know what to expect and redirect these users to a solution for which I currently don't have.

richb
Administrator

#8 Post by richb »

Thanks, Mike. Maybe Rich (please?) can make a post here in the general announcement forum, then I will post that link with a comment on the social media I oversee.
Will do.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Stevo
Developer

#9 Post by Stevo »

If a user still needs to use an extension that is now incompatible with FF 57, there's always firefox-esr from the Debian repository. We should mention that in the announcement.

Adrian
Developer

#10 Post by Adrian »

Pretty smooth, quick question, is there a way to get rid of window titlebar like in Chrome (it saves a bit of screen real estate).

Return to “Package Requests/Status - MX 17/18”