MX 17 Repository: The firefox thread

fehlix
Developer

Re: MX 17 Repository: The firefox thread

#111 Post by fehlix »

mmikeinsantarosa wrote:firefox_59.0.3 is now ready to upgrade to.
Looks like latest prefs regarding the default localizations did not find the way into distribution.ini file as tweaked alreaedy by D_O.
But wait a day or two I'm just doing some more testing to add some further prefs
as it appears in some cases the default localization is not showing up as intended yet. :fox:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

mmikeinsantarosa
Developer

#112 Post by mmikeinsantarosa »

firefox-60.0 is now available to upgrade to.
Check the mozilla release notes page for more info. There was one security fix in this one so probably a good idea to install this one.
CVE-2018-5154: Use-after-free with SVG animations and clip paths

Reporter: Nils
Impact: high

Description: A use-after-free vulnerability can occur while enumerating attributes during SVG animations with clip paths. This results in a potentially exploitable crash.
This update is also good for MX-14 thru 16.

- mike
LT: MX19.1 Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-6820HQ Kernel: 5.0.0-7.1-liquorix-amd64 x86_64

Mauser

#113 Post by Mauser »

Firefox-60.0 is the freeze and crash version. I hope they fix it.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

turtlebay777

#114 Post by turtlebay777 »

I stopped using Firefox when they introduced that nonsense that stopped most add ons working. Waterfox is in the repos and is just like the old style Firefox.

Mauser

#115 Post by Mauser »

turtlebay777 wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 10:19 pm I stopped using Firefox when they introduced that nonsense that stopped most add ons working. Waterfox is in the repos and is just like the old style Firefox.
I don't see it in the MX repo. Where is Waterfox?
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

fehlix
Developer

#116 Post by fehlix »

Well, I have now found some time to dig in to the localzation issue of firefox and thunderbird.
As mentioned the above preferences did not cover all scenarios regarding localization.
I made some further testing with the results showing below. Here we go:

Firefox & Thunderbird: Localization
How to get language packs for Firefox and Thunderbird enabled automatically?

Current Situation:
The user starts MX-live or the freshly installed MX-Linux with a selected default language.
After starting Firefox or Thunderbird (FF/TB) the user interface (UI) is shown in English instead of the chosen system language. The user will go into MX package installer (MXPI) to install the missing language pack. The user might still not have the default UI-language after starting FF/TB again. S/he either need first to confirm and enable the new language pack and restart FB/TB. In some cases the user might still not have the correct UI-language despite having enabled the language pack manually within FF/TB.

Requirements:
- System wide installed language-pack plugins shall be got automatically enabled:
-> for current selected default system language
-> without manually enabling and without user confirmation
-> for first time login
-> for newly created FF/TB profiles
-> for existing FF/TB profiles
- Manually installed user plugins/extensions would still need to be confirmed and enabled by the user

Solution:
Firefox and Thunderbird honors some system preferences to achieve the above requirements.
The following preferences will fulfill the requirements above
for both Firefox and Thundebird (verfied with FF60.0 and TB52.7):

Pref-filename: distribution.js
Pref-directory FF: /opt/firefox/browser/defaults/preferences
Pref-directory TB: /opt/thunderbird/defaults/preferences/

The preference file distribution.js :

Code: Select all

// filename: distribution.js
// pref-dir: /opt/firefox/browser/defaults/preferences/
//         : /opt/thunderbird/defaults/preferences/
pref("intl.locale.matchOS", true);
pref("intl.locale.requested", "");
pref("extensions.enabledScopes", 4);
pref("extensions.autoDisableScopes", 11);
The following places where system-wide preferences could also have been specified will NOT work to satisfy the above requirements due to timing issue during sequence of UI-generation:
- distribution.ini within /opt/thunderbird/distribution or /opt/firefox/distribution, resp.
- preferences within the pref-dirs /opt/firefox/defaults/pref and /opt/thunderbird/defaults/pref, resp.
/opt/firefox/distribution/distribution.ini

Note:
The language pack provided for thunderbird from MXPI will NOT cover the localization of the embedded calendar lightning-extension.
In order to get the thunderbird calendar localized the user would need to manual install the corresponding localized lightning-calendar-plugin.

Suggestion:
To automatically enable localized calendar a package request is suggested to have the localized lightning-calendar-plugin for thunderbird as part of the language pack available through MXPI.

Package-Hint:
The localized lightning-extension is availble by mozilla as a xpi-file with
the filename format lightning-X.X-sm+tb-linux.xpi (X.X indicating the version).
The extension file has to be renamed to {e2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103}.xpi
and placed with the distribution externsion directory as
/opt/thunderbird/extensions/{e2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103}.xpi

Wiki:
The Wiki entries regarding localization shall be updated
correspondingly to reflect the automatic localization process above,
when in place.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#117 Post by Jerry3904 »

Great work, thanks. I already modified the Firefox Wiki entry somewhat, and will monitor both as this moves forward.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

jibel

#118 Post by jibel »

That's is really funny.. whaou? how it's possible ? I have the language FR in T.B. but not for F.F. it's always the same trouble , how it's possible to have that ? I'm go to "about-config" ===>& about what is new name "intl.locale.requested fr.FR" and ...good for T.B not for Firefox60 incredible ? I have 14 Oss in my PC, never I have the same trouble shooting language for F.F. 60, very strange? no? see u soon :confused:

fehlix
Developer

#119 Post by fehlix »

jibel wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 9:46 am That's is really funny.. whaou? how it's possible ? I have the language FR in T.B. but not for F.F. it's always the same trouble , how it's possible to have that ? I'm go to "about-config" ===>& about what is new name "intl.locale.requested fr.FR" and ...good for T.B not for Firefox60 incredible ? I have 14 Oss in my PC, never I have the same trouble shooting language for F.F. 60, very strange? no? see u soon :confused:
In TB we have still the old pref intl.locale.matchOS=true.
In latest FF and in future also in TB we need to have intl.locale.requested="".
Both will than use system LANG automatically!
No need to set intl.locale.requested="fr_FR".
Better leave it empty like intl.locale.requested="".
The above solution I posted will fix this issue for you automatically!
Don't worry! We'll fix it :anispider2:

jibel

#120 Post by jibel »

@fehix,
Thanks no problem, .. But it's not a real trouble for me ...I used it without, but I return on MX17 for change the modify return on "intl.locale.requested" free see u soon :bagoverhead:

Return to “Package Requests/Status - MX 17/18”