MX 17 Repository: The Corebird Thread

nathan2423

Re: MX 17 Repository: The Corebird Thread

#11 Post by nathan2423 »

Just bumping this thread since my last post in this thread. I'd still like to use Corebird as a Twitter browser of posts and I don't care if it doesn't automatically pull down new ones while I am reading the old ones.

In fact, I don't WANT it to refresh and thereby lose my place in the old posts that I am reading through.

Unfortunately the current version in the MX17 repos is auto-refreshing and doing exactly that. The patch i referenced in the last post is supposed to fix that entirely or at least mostly, so if any packager is able to look at that at some point I would really appreciate it. I've installed the versions in the MX repos, including the Backport repo, and the versions accessible to me all seem to have the refresh problem that needs the patch.

Thanks very much.

Stevo
Developer

#12 Post by Stevo »

I can rebuild a version with the patch and have it go into the test repo, so you can see if it makes any difference...hang on a few minutes.

Stevo
Developer

#13 Post by Stevo »

Here's the patched version--just install the corebird deb--the dbgsym packages are not necessary.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WHOZb ... eAd39oYEga_

nathan2423

#14 Post by nathan2423 »

THANK YOU Stevo -- But so far I get a 404 error on that link.

Stevo
Developer

#15 Post by Stevo »

nathan2423

#16 Post by nathan2423 »

Stevo THANK YOU - that is much better. It still refreshes and causes one to lose one's place if you're scrolling back for a long period, but now the refresh seems to take about two minutes (I timed it) and that's a lot better than before. Unfortunately there may still be an issue with "too many requests" but I am still experimenting on that.

My major use for this is that instead of keeping a cable news channel on my big-screen TV in the living room, I keep a Twitter feed. Now that corebird won't automatically update I am sometimes using Twitterfall, which still refreshes, but Twitterfall never upgraded to show the new longer Tweets, so it's far from ideal. Corebird has a much tighter format for efficient reading of of entire tweets without all the fluff of reading the Tweets on Twitter itself. And it seems likely to be remain the best way to review and scroll back through past feeds, for which Twitterfall doesn't work well at all.

I will monitor the discussion over at Github and report back if there are changes (which don't seem likely) or a fork (which is being at least tossed out as an idea).

Again, THANK YOU!

Buck Fankers

#17 Post by Buck Fankers »

Jerry3904 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:50 pm Don't think so, no. I would argue that it belongs in mxpi myself...
Agree, there are plenty of us, who stay away as far as possible from goodies such as twitter or faceboook etc... no need to put this pest into iso ;-)

nathan2423

#18 Post by nathan2423 »

Stevo I am following the developments at the corebird github site, and the user who prepared the patch has now set up a fork here: https://github.com/lucaswerkmeister/corebird

It isn't clear to me that he has made any additional patches, and indeed I am still getting "too many requests" errors that don't seem to make any sense, but the fork provides the possibility of fixing these problems, which I think would be worthwhile. Just wanted to point out that this was happening and I will post back if it looks like there's enough change to warrant another try. In the meantime, the deb you posted does improve the situation, so thank you, but more work is going to need to be done for corebird to return to a relatively trouble-free status.

Stevo
Developer

#19 Post by Stevo »

The fork implements the change that the patch does:
CbUserStream: bump heartbeat interval from 45s to 2min
That's it so far for the code.

nathan2423

#20 Post by nathan2423 »

Just FYI and FWIW the fork programmer has released a Stretch version of his latest forking work. I'm not sure anything yet has changed in the code but thought I would note this and that he seems committed to renaming the fork and moving ahead -- I have downloaded it and it seems to be working for me.

https://github.com/lucaswerkmeister/cor ... ag/1.7.4.2

Return to “Package Requests/Status - MX 17/18”