MX-17/18 Test Repository - The Smartmontools thread

timkb4cq
Developer

MX-17/18 Test Repository - The Smartmontools thread

#1 Post by timkb4cq »

Smartmontools 7.0 is now available in the MX-17/18 Test Repository
smartmontools.org wrote:The smartmontools package contains two utility programs (smartctl and smartd) to control and monitor storage systems using the Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology System (SMART) built into most modern ATA/SATA, SCSI/SAS and NVMe disks. In many cases, these utilities will provide advanced warning of disk degradation and failure. Smartmontools was originally derived from the Linux ​smartsuite package and actually supports ATA/ATAPI/SATA-3 to -8 disks and SCSI disks and tape devices.
Among other changes from the older version in stretch, it now automatically scans for NVMe type drives and the update-smart-drivedb script now works again.

For the command-line averse, install GSmartControl from the Test repo as well to get a nice GUI front-end to smartmontools.

As with any package in Test, please leave feedback if you try it.
Enjoy!
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

Stevo
Developer

Re: MX-17/18 Test Repository - The Smartmontools thread

#2 Post by Stevo »

Easy upgrade with MXPI, works with Gsmartmon 1.1.3 from test repo just fine, drivedb updates also now work.

Both 7.0 and the GUI are ready to move to main, IMO.

Are you going to build any packages for MX 15/16?

timkb4cq
Developer

#3 Post by timkb4cq »

Already did. Was just waiting for the next hourly *.mxrepo.com mirror updates to complete to announce it.
Unfortunately the GsmartControl 1.1.3 in MX-15 Test was broken so I removed it. One of the GTK Window operations it calls crashes. It requires GTK3 >= 3.16 even though it builds with 3.14
The old debian jessie gsmartcontrol does work with the new smartmontools - but it's missing the update drivedb menu item so that needs to be done from the terminal.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

towwire

#4 Post by towwire »

Stevo wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:44 pm Easy upgrade with MXPI, works with Gsmartmon 1.1.3 from test repo just fine, drivedb updates also now work.

Both 7.0 and the GUI are ready to move to main, IMO.

Are you going to build any packages for MX 15/16?
Sorry Guys no go. Install both from test repo and no drivedb updates. Here is the error;
"Error Updating Drive Database
Failed to execute child process 'xterm' (No such file or directory)"

I tried both my working side and my test side, neither have 'xterm' installed.
It is easier to fight for one's principles then to live up to them.

timkb4cq
Developer

#5 Post by timkb4cq »

So install xterm - it's small and doesn't hijack anything. :uhhuh:

Yeah, I need to add it to the Depends: :redface:

towwire

#6 Post by towwire »

timkb4cq wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:52 pm So install xterm - it's small and doesn't hijack anything. :uhhuh:

Yeah, I need to add it to the Depends: :redface:
I did and it works. I just wasn't sure it was 100% hard coded to 'xterm' or if you could make it use any terminal that was installed. No red face, other wise my wife would tell you that I should always be that way.
It is easier to fight for one's principles then to live up to them.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#7 Post by JayM »

I've been using it for several weeks. No problems, I'm able to update the drivedb (thanks for adding xterm as a dependency) and everything's fine.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Return to “Package Requests/Status - MX 17/18”