Wildlife wallpapers

Any background image or other artwork submissions must include copyright information and explicit permission of the image's original creator to use the image. This includes a direct post of the image or links to a compiled image archive. Any background image or other artwork submissions must include copyright information and explicit permission of the image's original creator to use the image. This includes a direct post of the image or links to a compiled image archive.
Stevo
Developer

Re: Wildlife wallpapers

#21 Post by Stevo »

Well, in my experience, most wildlife really likes cheese, except rodents (cartoons lied to me!). I guess they aren't lactose-intolerant! But it's probably not a good idea to get those wild foxes too habituated to people. Ones that live in people's backyards are another matter.

I see videos of people in NZ and Oz feeding the wild cockatoos and parrots as the birds clamber all over them; those are crazy. The closest we have here are ravens and crows, and the babies are more trusting than the wily adults:

ChrisUK
Qualified MX Guide

#22 Post by ChrisUK »

Stevo wrote:Well, in my experience, most wildlife really likes cheese, except rodents (cartoons lied to me!). I guess they aren't lactose-intolerant! But it's probably not a good idea to get those wild foxes too habituated to people. Ones that live in people's backyards are another matter.

I see videos of people in NZ and Oz feeding the wild cockatoos and parrots as the birds clamber all over them; those are crazy. The closest we have here are ravens and crows, and the babies are more trusting than the wily adults:
My garden is full of birds and a few Squirrels, but I only hand-feed the Pigeons. The Corvids (Crows, Magpies, Jays) remain wary of me, even though some have been visiting for years. I could encourage (train) them to take food from me, but Humans are a dangerous species. Although Corvids are wary of everything, they're scared of nothing.

I'm going way off topic now - forgot this was a Linux forum for a minute ;)

Oh, you're right about cheese, Fish like it too.

I've uploaded the 1920*1200 versions of those pics to the main mx website now. I'll process many more time and health permitting.

Pics are here: https://mxlinux.org/wallpaper17
Chris

MX 18 MX 19 - Manjaro

ChrisUK
Qualified MX Guide

#23 Post by ChrisUK »

Here's a few more... remember these are too small for the desktop - higher resolution images are here: https://mxlinux.org/wallpaper17

I've no idea what the pics look like at higher (full hd) resolution, it depends on how heavy a crop they were and/or which camera I used... all are fine at my native 1366*768
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

MX 18 MX 19 - Manjaro

asqwerth
Developer

#24 Post by asqwerth »

You're right about the varying resolution. Unfortunately the sunbathing fox and peacock feather pics are a bit on the low-res side, as in the pictures look a little too blown up.

Pity because I like that fox pic (although I prefer the hillside pose one).

The blue tit pic is kind of ok but on the verge of being low-res.

The rest are OK.

Display: normal 21" , 1920x1080

Nice pics, regardless.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

oops

#25 Post by oops »

ChrisUK wrote:Here's a few more... remember these are too small for the desktop - higher resolution images are here: https://mxlinux.org/wallpaper17
Nice photos ... Now, HIMO, the only thing to do is to use jpegoptim, for example, to have the same pixels resolution but the size divided by almost 4 (272kB instead 1MB)
Sample

Code: Select all

jpegoptim -p -m80 RFox21920nMX_0.jpg
Or like this

mkdir compressed-jpegoptim
jpegoptim -d ./compressed-jpegoptim -p -m80 RFox21920nMX_0.jpg
Last edited by oops on Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

ChrisUK
Qualified MX Guide

#26 Post by ChrisUK »

asqwerth wrote:You're right about the varying resolution. Unfortunately the sunbathing fox and peacock feather pics are a bit on the low-res side, as in the pictures look a little too blown up.

Pity because I like that fox pic (although I prefer the hillside pose one).

The blue tit pic is kind of ok but on the verge of being low-res.

The rest are OK.

Display: normal 21" , 1920x1080

Nice pics, regardless.
Yeah, that's what I feared - I'll have do new crops that aren't as severe. I only use a 300mm (450 equiv.) lens on my main camera (can't carry anything heavier for long walks), so some of the subjects are a bit distant... there's just not enough pixels on the subject. Believe it or not, that Fox in the Sun was nearly 100m away.

I'll re-crop the Fox - the Fox will be smaller in the frame, but it should be sharper on your 21" screen. I'll delete the ones from the main site that aren't up to the higher resolutions. I'll post back here when I've uploaded the new crops.
Chris

MX 18 MX 19 - Manjaro

ChrisUK
Qualified MX Guide

#27 Post by ChrisUK »

oops wrote:
ChrisUK wrote:Here's a few more... remember these are too small for the desktop - higher resolution images are here: https://mxlinux.org/wallpaper17
Nice photos ... Now, HIMO, the only thing to do is to use jpegoptim, for example, to have the same pixels resolution but the size divided by almost 4 (272kB instead 1MB)
Sample

jpegoptim -p -m80 RFox21920nMX_0.jpg
The smaller ones are just to stay within the forum limit of 300kb, just posted here to give an idea without downloading the higher res versions.

There's not much you can do when you crop heavy and have too few pixels on the subject, but I will investigate what you've posted... thanks
Chris

MX 18 MX 19 - Manjaro

oops

#28 Post by oops »

... Usually there is no perceptual differences, even when zooming.
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

Stevo
Developer

#29 Post by Stevo »

You could put the images on postimg and just put the thumbnail link in a post, like I did for the baby raven shot.

ChrisUK
Qualified MX Guide

#30 Post by ChrisUK »

Stevo wrote:You could put the images on postimg and just put the thumbnail link in a post, like I did for the baby raven shot.
The fact that the forum only allows members to view the attached images works better for me, Steve. The low res images are useless for anything except the web, but I've had even those 900*600 ones stolen/plagiarised in the past. If the links and pics are visible to guests as well, I'd get more people downloading (stealing) those, as the 1920*1200 are printable up to 6*4 without a problem... maybe even larger. I want to provide the pics for MX Linux users, not the whole web ;) I know that even the 1920*1200 ones are much too low-res for a magazine, but they're more tempting to download than the 900*600 ones.

Years ago, I even had people posting my pics and pretending that they took the pictures themselves, even though it was the same forum that I posted the pics in years before. I don't watermark my pics, but I do have a way of proving beyond doubt that the pictures are mine... and I don't just mean having the uncropped originals ;)

As I said, my problem isn't filesize, it's the amount of pixels on the subject... I can sort this on most pics by another crop, which I'll do later. However, some of the pics were taken with basically a 12mp point and shoot camera, and it's now obvious that these won't be good enough for the required 1920*1200 resolution.

Anyway, I've 100s of 1000s of pictures, I'm sure I can sort out a few with enough pixels on the subject... just give me a day or two ;)
Chris

MX 18 MX 19 - Manjaro

Return to “User contributed Wallpaper”