Need to update the KDE Wiki entry

Help on all MX Re-spins
Jerry3904
Administrator

Need to update the KDE Wiki entry

#1 Post by Jerry3904 »

We have been asked to update the Wiki entry on KDE, since it was written in the first year of MX Linux's existence! I have made some initial cleanup, but do not have a KDE installation and need others to carry out the review. What we are looking for is what a MX user needs to know to get up and running, rather than any detailed discussion of KDE itself that can be found elsewhere (links!). That image needs replacement, and perhaps others could be added where necessary.

https://mxlinux.org/wiki/system/kde/

You can post changes either in this thread or (even better) in the Comments to the page, where they will be reviewed for incorporation. As much as possible, please provide actual language for replacement or insertion--do not just put "this needs to be changed" or " this is way out of date."

Thanks.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: Need to update the KDE Wiki entry

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

<bump>
There are a lot of people using kde on MX and no one has a thing to say after 5 days?!

As I said elsewhere: I can't do this all by myself.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB

Utopia
Administrator

#3 Post by Utopia »

Isn't it better to wait until after the MX-19 release? If something more than a generic entry is expected, we must have time to find out what the real problems are. Each generation of KDE have their own quirks.
Henry

Jerry3904
Administrator

#4 Post by Jerry3904 »

My preference would be to weed out the totally unneeded material now, so we have an article that would work for users over the next 4-5 months until the release of MX-19. Then redo what needs redoing.

But at the rate it's going now, it won't make a lot of difference...

Utopia
Administrator

#5 Post by Utopia »

The entry is an instruction of how to use parts of KDE. As such it doesn't look outdated, except for some links that doesn't work anymore.
Maybe a sentence could be added explaining which packages must be kept to keep the mx-tools working.
Henry

Davo

#6 Post by Davo »

kde is so big and the latest-greatest stuff is quite substantially different from what has gone before.

I would gladly participate, but would just not not know where to begin. KDE is so vast

Is it to be written for an actual XFCE adept who has no prior knowledge of KDE but who might want to just experiment.
Or is it to be written for someone who only installs MX with XFCE as a stopover on the way to then converting to KDE (which is me btw).

I doubt the latter needs any hand-holding and the former who knows. Some rudimentary guidelines perhaps or some small updating.
Those who go the KDE path probably already know what they are doing, or should do nowadays. Kinda like what Utopia suggests, just a small suggestion of what needs keeping and what not.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#7 Post by Jerry3904 »

It's just a question of how to go from installing KDE with the Package Installer to having a functional KDE (Dolphin, etc.). It does not have to deal with KDE itself, there are a zillion online sources we can point to. Maybe there is nothing to say, I dunno--except how to log into it once installed, since a number of people have asked. A pic would be good there with an arrow--send me one if you can get it.

anticapitalista
Developer

#8 Post by anticapitalista »

What happened to all those people wanting to update (complaining) about the wiki?
Time for you to step up!
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

dreamer

#9 Post by dreamer »

I don't know who complained about the wiki. MX User Manual is top notch. The Wiki isn't bad, it's just that it is often forgotten and lives in the shadow of the brilliant User Manual and the equally brilliant forum.

I once installed KDE from MXPI and it was a bad experience. Many missing packages. I didn't have icons and everything looked bad. Adrian came to the rescue with a really polished KDE iso. This is the fastest and most comfortable way to use KDE on MX Linux. Building KDE from the MXPI install is possible but painful in my experience. Years of Linux use has taught me to never mix KDE with other desktops. KDE is invasive and will affect one thing or another in other desktops. If it doesn't then MX Linux might be the only distro that has mastered KDE co-existence.

KDE is different from other desktops. There isn't a minimal KDE option, because everything is integrated. If you are going to use KDE opt for "the whole enchilada".
;)

Utopia
Administrator

#10 Post by Utopia »

Working on the screenshot, my first try looked completely wrong as I used Stevo's KDE spin.
Will start from scratch with MX 18 instead.
Henry

Return to “MX Respins”