rsynch and kmail

Help on all MX Re-spins
whbr

rsynch and kmail

#1 Post by whbr »

I have recently taken to wanting to keep the in and sent mailboxes on my home office and work office computers synched. I use lucky backup to synch data files but it turns out that deep in the file structure of kmail a ":" is used in the file name and rsynch as near as I can tell doesn't recognize this character in file names. At least that is what I gather from the error messages and a bit of net sleuthing.

Short of switching mail packages** is anyone aware of a work around for this. I leave messages on the server when checking e-mail from work or on mobile devices but remove them when at home. This orphans messages that come in during the evening and overnight from my work e-mail and my students send me a lot of e-mails at night!

**I'm not completely against this but my contacts,calendars, etc are in and have been in kde for nearly 2 decades. My college has cloud space available but it is so twisted up with microsoft and dual authentication I try to stay away from it.
Dell Inspiron 15, series 5000
MX-16.1
DM KDE 4.14.2

Adrian
Developer

Re: rsynch and kmail

#2 Post by Adrian »

Can you escape the characters? Like use a backslash before it \:

Also, give syncthing a try: https://syncthing.net/ It's a great sync tool that might be helpful for other things.

timkb4cq
Developer

#3 Post by timkb4cq »

Rsync handles filenames with : in them just fine. Microsoft filesystems like fat32, exfat, & ntfs do not support them so you will get a failure trying to rsync files with : in the filename to one of those filesystems. Perhaps Lucky Backup is filtering those to prevent problems.

Rsync isn't too hard to run from the command line.
https://www.tecmint.com/rsync-local-rem ... -commands/
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

whbr

#4 Post by whbr »

I'll see about trying synchthing when I get a minute.

As to Tims' comment: when I try to use luckybackup on mail dirs everything goes well until it hits the first message file in a cur or new folder. The error generated is:

rsync: mkstemp "/media/mark/Lexar/Mail/.e-commerce.directory/Credo/new/.1530189765.R472.mx1:2,S.xAsF86" failed: Invalid argument (22) rsync: mkstemp "/media/mark/Lexar/Mail/.e-commerce.directory/Credo/new/.1532468799.R376.mx1:2,S.w1ZzCm"

When I searched this Invalid argument (22) some respondent offered that the colon was a problem so I immediately assumed that was it. Perhaps its luckybackup.
Dell Inspiron 15, series 5000
MX-16.1
DM KDE 4.14.2

DeMus

#5 Post by DeMus »

whbr wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:16 am I have recently taken to wanting to keep the in and sent mailboxes on my home office and work office computers synched.
How do you handle your mail? Do you use IMAP or POP?
When using IMAP it is very easy to have it synced because both computers with just look at the mail on the server, like you do for example with your smartphone and your computer when using Gmail.
When the mail is on an MS server then use davmail (davmail.sourceforge.net/) to make it possible to connect to the server from home.

Return to “MX Respins”