video phantoms

Help on all MX Re-spins
whbr

video phantoms

#1 Post by whbr »

Weird title I know. But I have been having this problem for a while and can't trace it's origin to anything in particular. I see it most often in libre office which is where I spend most of my time but it happens outside of that environment too, it is just less annoying. What I get is when moving the cursor to a new location a portion of what I was working on remains behind. All it takes to make this go away and return the screen to normal is a simple roll of the mouse wheel. As a result I have been living with this but in spreadsheets, in particular, it is actually annoying.

My questions are: is this likely an OS problem or a DM problem?
Given that it is probably past time to upgrade to MX-17 if it is the former is upgrading likely to fix this or will it just follow me?

A couple other things. I use a Samsung ext monitor via HDMI and have never been able to get the dual monitor thing set up properly. Under system settings the options I have allow almost no configurability and from what I've seen searching this on the web that surprises me. I use the monitor only because it is bigger so just shutting the lid on the laptop is not a problem. It is a bit sporadic but when I tried to reproduce it on the laptop screen it didn't appear to happen there, however I can't display on both screens simultaneously. I know this is kind of a KDE modified problem so my apologies in advance for that.

Thanks in advance, Mark
Dell Inspiron 15, series 5000
MX-16.1
DM KDE 4.14.2

PPC

Re: video phantoms

#2 Post by PPC »

Hi, I often use LibreOffice Writer (on the regular xfce MX 17) and I notice that sometimes parts of the text remain on screen and have to roll down the page so the "ghost text" goes away. That has been happening forever, sometimes its gone, sometimes it's back on. I've always assumed it's a OpenOffice/Libreoffice bug that surfaces from time to time, because it happened in several system over the years... but I never noticed that on any other application than Libreoffice Writer...

P.

Stevo
Developer

#3 Post by Stevo »

What does "inxi -G" say about the video hardware and driver?

whbr

#4 Post by whbr »

It says:
Card-1: Intel driver: i915 v: kernel
Display: server: X.Org 1.16.4 driver: intel unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa
resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 620 (Kabylake GT2) v: 4.5 Mesa 13.0.6

As to PPCs comment: I won't swear to it happening in anything but libre office. I thought that right before I sent this post I caught it in another app. It happens in all libre office modules. I use calc, impress, and writer extensively, and base occaisionally. Mark
Dell Inspiron 15, series 5000
MX-16.1
DM KDE 4.14.2

sunrat

#5 Post by sunrat »

For Kabylake you need recent intel-microcode package, and a more recent kernel may help.

nour

#6 Post by nour »

whbr wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:25 am A couple other things. I use a Samsung ext monitor via HDMI and have never been able to get the dual monitor thing set up properly. Under system settings the options I have allow almost no configurability and from what I've seen searching this on the web that surprises me. I use the monitor only because it is bigger so just shutting the lid on the laptop is not a problem. It is a bit sporadic but when I tried to reproduce it on the laptop screen it didn't appear to happen there, however I can't display on both screens simultaneously. I know this is kind of a KDE modified problem so my apologies in advance for that.
For that, I have no idea, the KDe multimonitor configuration tool is just amazing and I configured a second screen via HDMI easily.
whbr wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:25 am Weird title I know. But I have been having this problem for a while and can't trace it's origin to anything in particular. I see it most often in libre office which is where I spend most of my time but it happens outside of that environment too, it is just less annoying. What I get is when moving the cursor to a new location a portion of what I was working on remains behind. All it takes to make this go away and return the screen to normal is a simple roll of the mouse wheel. As a result I have been living with this but in spreadsheets, in particular, it is actually annoying.
I confirm this behaviour in OpenOffice and AbiWord (Yes, I use it sometime ti edit docs up to 3 pages only)Bluestacks Kodi Lucky Patcher.
Same problem, that text hanging there for a moement than when an action is taken (scroll, typing, ...), it dispear but I just didn't care about it.
Last edited by nour on Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nour

#7 Post by nour »

The window looks exactly like that and you can move screens by drag so it' very easy to configure :

Return to “MX Respins”