MX Unofficial Respin

Help on all MX Re-spins
epicdragon44

MX Unofficial Respin

#1 Post by epicdragon44 »

Hello Community!

I made an unofficial respin of MX Linux for developers.

Basically, I added a dark theme default, removed the games, added a few language toolkits, tweaked a few visual things like the wallpaper, etc, enabled basic compositing for greater visual contrast between active/inactive elements, and updated the packages.
A list of modified packages here (copy-pasted from personal notes):
Purge gnome-mahjongg, chromium-bsu, aisleriot, gnome-hearts, lbreakout2, peg-e, swell-foop, gimp,
Install from terminal: emacs, openjdk-8-jre (for java edition), gdb, tilix, screen, tmux, redshift, geoclue-2.0 and redshift-gtk (both are redshift dependencies)
Install from package installer: scratch, git repo tools, meld, gnome-boxes
Install from internet: IntelliJ (for java edition: from Jetbrains Toolbox: also make custom desktop file), Jetbrains Toolbox(for all language editions: use github shell script and create a custom desktop file), Atom, Gitkraken

I made a separate edition for java developers, and might add more later.

I did NOT modify the basic setup: side panel, whisker menu, etc. I highly approve of the defaults.

What do you guys think? Does it look ok? If you want, download and give it a try. I'm calling it MXMake.

I want to emphasize this is unofficial and not affiliated with MX Linux. It's a spare-time fun project made with MX Snapshot.

Thanks for reading, and feedback welcome!

sunrat

Re: MX Unofficial Respin

#2 Post by sunrat »

Nice initiative but I'm not a dev so won't be using it.
Just wanted to mention geoclue-2.0 and redshift-gtk are not dependencies. geoclue is only needed if you want it to automatically determine your location, it can be done manually instead. redshift-gtk is only needed if you want the pretty tray icon.

Stevo
Developer

#3 Post by Stevo »

That sounds like a nice project, and I don't think MX developers would have any objections to it at all. Are you going to share it? You could put it up on a Google Drive or the like if you don't hit their download limit, or archive.org also allows software projects and no download limits, as far as I know.

epicdragon44

#4 Post by epicdragon44 »

They aren't dependencies? Well, they do provide functionality, and what I believe is a better end user experience. Maybe you guys should bundle it as a default sometime? Just saying it's pretty good, and a lot of people use computers at night.

I thought I pasted the link to the Google Drive but apparently I didn't. Strange. In any case, here it is:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... rBK70XQ_9l
I'm not too familiar with Google Drive permissions, so if you can't see it please inform me.

EDIT: In case anyone wanted a screenshot - there's not too much to see different cosmetically. Just a dark theme and a wallpaper change (credits to mx linux on deviantart)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CYEp5y ... sp=sharing

Also, notably Gitkraken is proprietary. If you're an opensource believer (to the best of my knowledge) everything else is FOSS.

asqwerth
Developer

#5 Post by asqwerth »

Welcome. Thanks for your interest in MX and your unofficial respin.

I know nothing much about development and coding, but if Gitkraken is proprietary, then it's not likely that MX can have it preinstalled by default. It's just a matter of what is proper and permitted.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Redacted

#6 Post by Redacted »

Looks like it is https://www.gitkraken.com/eula:
“Software” means the particular version of the Axosoft proprietary software program supplied by Axosoft to You under the name GitKraken, including any Software updates and Documentation.

epicdragon44

#7 Post by epicdragon44 »

I'll remove that if it concerns anyone. I'll have the new version up in a few days then.

I was just seeking feedback on the idea and see if anyone would test it. Thank you!

epicdragon44

#8 Post by epicdragon44 »

Alright, I have the new version up and running.
Plus, a website, https://mxmake.github.io/

Gordon Cooper

#9 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Download OK, gave it brief test running live. Tomorrow when it is raining will install to a spare spot on an HD and test properly. Looks good so far.

(Back to the garden while the sun is shining)
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#10 Post by Jerry3904 »

Thanks! The new website looks very nice indeed.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Return to “MX Respins”