KDE Version of MX 17.1

Help on all MX Re-spins
Auro Kumar Sahoo

KDE Version of MX 17.1

#1 Post by Auro Kumar Sahoo »

Hi MX Community,
I love KDE and recent development in KDE and particularly Plasma desktop and KDE Applications are great and much improved.
KDE is now taking very low RAM usages around 500 mb on a fresh install and start up, and its modern looking too. As MX tells its a It is a midweight OS so KDE is also coming in that category now a days, with great development.

I love MX and its functionality, But as its getting more highlight and ranking I may request some developers(May be from MEPIS) to please give attention to KDE lovers and make a spin (Official) of it and I may request MX developers and maintainers to give support to it.

Many applications run better on Native KDE like Dolphin, Kdenlive, Krita and Gwenview... and many more and They are best applications in Open source.

Hoping for a KDE Version of MX 17.1 soon.

Thanks
Wallpapers for mx : https://www.flickr.com/photos/aurokumar ... 2672882131 & page2
MX help : https://mxlinux.org/manuals/

दुर्लभम् हि सदा सुखम् ||{Ramayan २-१८-१३}
To be happy always is something which is difficult to achieve.

zorzi

Re: KDE Version of MX 17.1

#2 Post by zorzi »

Hello,

Why don't you try Neptune or Solydk (two debian-based KDE distros) ? Neptune may be a good choice since it provides latest Plasma Desktop LTS.

Pierre

#3 Post by Pierre »

in the meantime, have you tried installing the Kde environment,
into your MX version of XFCE ?.
- via synaptic. ..

ChrisUK
Qualified MX Guide

#4 Post by ChrisUK »

As @Pierre said... or one-click using MX Package Installer
Screenshot.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

MX 18 MX 19 - Manjaro

baldyeti

#5 Post by baldyeti »

Installing on vanilla MX (17) will give you KDE 5.8 from stretch.
Adding the NeptuneOS repository by running the script mentioned here will get you 5.12
Last edited by baldyeti on Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

sunrat

#6 Post by sunrat »

I installed Plasma 5.8 in MX and didn't like it. I have been spoiled by Plasma 5.12 and it is a lot better. Also the inconvenience of having multiple DEs meant duplicated applications and some MX tools are Xfce specific and don't work on KDE.
There are several good options I've tried. NeptuneOS is based on Stretch but rebuilds recent Plasma packages and currently has 5.12 (I think). My preferred way of Stretch/Plasma is to install a Debian Stretch netinstall and then add Plasma from the Neptune repos. If you just install kde-plasma-desktop it is very lean and you can just add what you want. Mine uses ~340MB RAM after booting.
If you want to go all the way with SNS and the very latest KDE and kernels (currently 5.13 and 4.17.9), I recommend using siduction which is my main system. It's based on Sid so be prepared for lots of updates and occasional but rare Sid breakages.
Last edited by sunrat on Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#7 Post by Jerry3904 »

Hoping for a KDE Version of MX 17.1 soon.
Not going to happen!
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Return to “MX Respins”