Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

MX17 - KDE?

Help on all MX Re-spins
cgriffin

MX17 - KDE?

#1 Post by cgriffin »

Is there any update on the timing of an MX17 KDE spin?

I'm getting tired of the Manjaro silliness on my desktop at home and would love to put a KDE version of MX onto it.

MX feels like an optimal linux distribution for adults. Just a bit of a knock on other distros....

Thanks,
Chris
--
Chris Griffin

Stevo
Developer

Re: MX17 - KDE?

#2 Post by Stevo »

Hmmm...currently, if you add kde-standard to MX in the package installer, in KDE, you have to go into the GTK apps appearance settings in the KDE settings to change the overall themes. The native appearance settings don't do anything. This is because Qt5 and thus KDE are set up to follow the GTK themes. Is this how we want to leave it in a KDE respin? I think that would be rather confusing unless you switch back and forth from xfce to KDE frequently and just want the themes to match. The Obidian2 GTK theme looks pretty good in both, though. GTK theming seem to break KDE different font sizes, though.

I can decouple Qt 5 from GTK so we can use the native themes, however. How do we want a KDE spin to look? What is Manjaro doing to be silly? I don't want to be that unintentionally!

cgriffin

#3 Post by cgriffin »

Hi Stevo,
the thing that I think is silly about Manjaro is all of the nonstop updates. I realized at some point that I have a computer to get work done, and keeping the OS at the bleeding edge is not work that I'm interested in doing. I got bigger fish to fry. All said and done, my Manjaro experience has been fantastic. I have had few problems with it. But I don't want to udpate everything every week. It's just exhausting and my life is complicated enough already. I'll leave that fun exercise to those who have more free time and energy. that's why i said MX is linux for adults. Not meant to disparage anyone. I just want the rock solid debian base with a great community. That's what attracted me to Mepis so many years ago. I was actually told to run MEPIS in a dream. I went to distrowatch and sure enough, there was a distro named "Mepis". That's how it started.
I will be happy with whatever KDE look someone more sophisticated than i can set up. Whenever I go into KDE and start tinkering I always screw things up pretty bad...

No pressure, just curious when the respin might happen. Whenever it does I'll grab it!
Best,
Chris
--
Chris Griffin

uncle mark

#4 Post by uncle mark »

Stevo wrote:Hmmm...currently, if you add kde-standard to MX in the package installer, in KDE, you have to go into the GTK apps appearance settings in the KDE settings to change the overall themes. The native appearance settings don't do anything. This is because Qt5 and thus KDE are set up to follow the GTK themes. Is this how we want to leave it in a KDE respin? I think that would be rather confusing unless you switch back and forth from xfce to KDE frequently and just want the themes to match. The Obidian2 GTK theme looks pretty good in both, though. GTK theming seem to break KDE different font sizes, though.

I can decouple Qt 5 from GTK so we can use the native themes, however. How do we want a KDE spin to look? What is Manjaro doing to be silly? I don't want to be that unintentionally!
Can you just channel Warren and do whatever he would do?
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

greywolf

#5 Post by greywolf »

So @cgriffin, it appears what you actually don't like
the thing that I think is silly about Manjaro is all of the nonstop updates
is the rolling nature of Manjaro, not so much the actual distro functionality. That's ok but a bit harsh to call it "silly" when they make no secret of what they are and the nature of a "rolling" distro.

In any case, I hope MX never has a KDE version as an official release. Don't get me wrong, I quite like KDE Plasma and I like & use Qt apps; but, Plasma5 is a monolith - no doubt about that- and I am very concerned that developer efforts that are split between multiple "official" versions of desktops is simply too much effort to ask of developers who currently produce (IMHO) the single best Xfce based distro available. All the requisite programs are in the repos for you to download and turn your MX install into a KDE vehicle if you so desire. I see no need for developer work to be applied.

I will say though that in my over 20 years of using Unix/Linux systems that mixing desktops on the one install can be a bigger time consumer than "rolling" releases ever was?! Consistent theming is one real headache, especially font rendering, but also dependency assumptions by apps in their operation; like database assumptions, security assumptions, etc etc.

There are any number of excellent KDE specific distros already that are not full rolling distros, PCLinuxOS and SolydK come to mind. Anyway, just an opinion.

greywolf.
It is about the Dragons - it was always about the Dragons!

richb
Administrator

#6 Post by richb »

While I agree with greywolf on his point about an official MX KDE, I did install KDE through the MX Package Installer. It runs very well with the only conflict that some MX XFCE configuration options will not work and that is understandable. It also looks quite nice and I have no issues with the way it looks form a theme(ing) standpoint.

In addition it has no effect on the XFCE side of things, except that you can run some of the KDE apps such as Dolphin, kwrite, kate, konsole and others.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Jerry3904
Administrator

#7 Post by Jerry3904 »

greywolf wrote:So @cgriffin, it appears what you actually don't like
is the rolling nature of Manjaro, not so much the actual distro functionality. That's ok but a bit harsh to call it "silly" when they make no secret of what they are and the nature of a "rolling" distro.

In any case, I hope MX never has a KDE version as an official release. Don't get me wrong, I quite like KDE Plasma and I like & use Qt apps; but, Plasma5 is a monolith - no doubt about that- and I am very concerned that developer efforts that are split between multiple "official" versions of desktops is simply too much effort to ask of developers who currently produce (IMHO) the single best Xfce based distro available. All the requisite programs are in the repos for you to download and turn your MX install into a KDE vehicle if you so desire. I see no need for developer work to be applied.

I will say though that in my over 20 years of using Unix/Linux systems that mixing desktops on the one install can be a bigger time consumer than "rolling" releases ever was?! Consistent theming is one real headache, especially font rendering, but also dependency assumptions by apps in their operation; like database assumptions, security assumptions, etc etc.

There are any number of excellent KDE specific distros already that are not full rolling distros, PCLinuxOS and SolydK come to mind. Anyway, just an opinion.

greywolf.
+1
Well put.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

lonesomepoint

#8 Post by lonesomepoint »

I won't call this idea stupid, and you can seek a KDE-using MX if you like; I just don't know why. XFCE has served me very well ever since I started using it. (Which, if I recall, was sometime before the invention of MX. I was using XFCE with antiX for a while.)

cgriffin

#9 Post by cgriffin »

greywolf wrote:So @cgriffin, it appears what you actually don't like

greywolf.
Hi Greywolf,

totally respect your perspective here. I will amend what I said and just state that "it's silly for ME to be running manjaro when rolling is not important to me." I guess I could run SolydK, but I like the Mepis community. Not here to make waves, I appreciate all of the work that those who have been dedicated to this community and distro have done. I really do like KDE.

Best,
Chris
--
Chris Griffin

Jerry3904
Administrator

#10 Post by Jerry3904 »

Have you looked at the result of using Package Installer to install KDE? I understand that is pretty nice, and would be interested in hearing what you think.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Return to “MX Respins”