Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

Color weirdness MX-16 KDE (RESOLVED, sort of)

Help on all MX Re-spins
Curmudgeon

Color weirdness MX-16 KDE (RESOLVED, sort of)

#1 Post by Curmudgeon »

I'm going to apologize in advance for this post, because I'm honestly not sure if this issue is with MX, or the theme engine, the DE,or this new-to-me-but-second-hand laptop. Please consider this as more of a "is it just me?" or "anyone got any clue what might be going on?" kind of post.

I've never believed in computer gremlins. Until now, that is.

I'm using the Kvantum theme engine and am experiencing spontaneous and seemingly "random" issues with colors, in both Qt and GTK apps. Here are visual exemplars of the two most recent anomalies, one QT and the other GTK

Weirdness #1: Notice how the tab colors have changed to black text on a black background:

Weirdness the Second: Notice how the entries in the drop-down menu are pure white and are not picking up the theme colors:

For the record, I am not actively mucking about with screen colors, and I wouldn't even know how to change only the tab colors (much less deliberately choose black-on-black). So if this is PEBKAC, it's subtle PEBKAC.

I've switched to QTCurve for the time being, so there's no rush to find a solution. But I'd like to figure out a way to outsmart/circumvent these gremlins. Again, these two examples are just that: examples of a somewhat larger problem.

Suggestions/ideas/speculations/wild hairs actively solicited.

Potentially pertinent system details (from inxi -F)

Code: Select all

System:    Kernel: 4.7.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit)
           Desktop: KDE Plasma 4.14.2 Distro: MX-16.1_x64 Metamorphosis 8 June 2017           

CPU:       Dual core AMD Turion X2 Mobile RM-72 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB                        

Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RS780M [Mobility Radeon HD 3200]            

Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)

Resolution: 1440x900@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS780 (DRM 2.45.0 / 4.7.0-0.bpo.1-amd64, LLVM 3.8.1)

GLX Version: 3.3 Mesa 12.0.3
Last edited by Curmudgeon on Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get off my lawn

Stevo
Developer

Re: "Random" color weirdness MX-16 KDE

#2 Post by Stevo »

Kvantum also ships KDE color schemes to match most themes. Have you tried those to see if they help?

If you haven't done the following yet, installing kde-config-gtk-style with kde-config-gtk-style-preview packages, then configuring that in System Settings will also probably work, though I don't think it can account for Kvantum..just pick an existing gtk theme with colors that match Kvantum's as close as you can. I think that qtcurve is the only theme engine that provides matching gtk and qt themes.

Curmudgeon

Re: "Random" color weirdness MX-16 KDE

#3 Post by Curmudgeon »

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes, I am (well, was) using a Kvantum color scheme (KvArc). And yes, I have the KDE GTK config widget installed; the dropdown weirdness resolved itself when I went back to QTCurve.

I'm hearing that you suspect Kvantum as the ultimate culprit. That's probably good news. I like some things about Kvantum, and I really like their color schemes. But I'm increasingly thinking that it's not quite ready for prime time as a theme manager.

(Just thinking aloud... It's odd that two separate color issues would appear in two distinct environments more or less contemporaneously. But coincidences do happen.)

Maybe the smartest thing to do at this point is run QTCurve for a while and see if the problems recur.

Update: No weirdness after switching to QTCurve. Blaming Kvantum.
Get off my lawn

Return to “MX Respins”