Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

Kvantum docs?

Help on all MX Re-spins
Curmudgeon

Kvantum docs?

#1 Post by Curmudgeon »

So I'm trying to get this new-fangled Kvantum theme engine to work, and it's giving me fits. No matter how hard I try, some/all of the theme features never seem to find their way to actual objects on the screen. It's bad enough that I am forced to conclude that either (a) I am doing something(s) massively wrong or (b) Kvantum is nowhere near ready for prime-time.

I am at heart a "search first" kinda guy, and my search-fu rarely fails me. But I have tried literally every query I can think of without finding any sort of end-user documentation. I've found a couple of theming guides, which aren't exactly helpful in my current quest.

So my question is two-fold:

1) Does this Kvantum thing actually provide the full functionality it claims to offer? Or should I just go back to QtCurve and be happy?

2) If the root problem is PEBKAC, can anyone point me to a decent tutorial or HOWTO on getting Kvantum to work?

TIA
Get off my lawn

Stevo
Developer

Re: Kvantum docs?

#2 Post by Stevo »

You have to disable the line in <your home>/.config/Trolltech.conf that tells Qt to follow the GTK Style--just comment it out with a "#". We added that for uniform looks on the xfce 4 desktop. The KDE respin I did of MX has this done already, and has Kvantum pre-installed, but I have it using the stock Oxygen theme...meh.

And it has to be a Qt 4 application, as Jessie's Qt 5.3 does not support its theming. The homebrewed MX apps are Qt 5 (though I believe they could also be compiled against Qt 4). So the MX 16 kde-style-kvantum is only for Qt 4. The version in our upcoming MX 17 supports both Qt 4 and 5, but will also require changing a configuration that has Qt follow GTK styles, only the syntax of the config will be different.

Once you do that, you can launch Kvantum manager from the Settings submenu and start making changes to the existing theme, or change the theme. If you have things working, you should be able to see the changes in the previews in the manager. It does work as advertised.

Besides me, asqwerth is the only one that I know of that has used it and posted about it.

Curmudgeon

Re: Kvantum docs?

#3 Post by Curmudgeon »

Stevo wrote:You have to disable the line in <your home>/.config/Trolltech.conf that tells Qt to follow the GTK Style...
Sure enough, that did it.

Thanks!
Get off my lawn

Return to “MX Respins”