Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

KDE shutdown [solved]

Help on all MX Re-spins
Mauser

Re: KDE shutdown [solved]

#11 Post by Mauser »

Stevo wrote:
Mauser wrote:
Stevo wrote:Was this with the KDE respin, or did you add it yourself?
No, it's the stock KDE that comes with MX that I was setting it up the way I want through the use of the KDE settings. I wouldn't call it a respin. With the very poor documentation that KDE has it's trail and error and sometimes it goes right off a cliff.
I'm still not clear what you mean. KDE doesn't officially come with MX--did you install it via the package installer, or use the unofficial KDE-added respin that I did?
Sorry, some things are hard for me to explain about Linux which is my bad. I hope I explain it correctly this time as I understand what you mean. I installed KDE through the MX Package Installer. I believe it was KDE Plasma 4.4 if I am not mistaken. Keep in mind I am making all my changes through the use of the G.U.I. as I don't get along well with the C.L.I. which my thick skull doesn't allow me to understand it. ;) What got me in trouble was I changed the themeing. I had everything set up as I wanted it except for the color of the tasksbar which I was unsuccessful to change. The KDE documentation didn't help as I find it to be very poor and vague. I hope I typed this out correctly. If you don't understand anything I typed, let me know and I will try to clarify it. Thanks.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

asqwerth
Developer

#12 Post by asqwerth »

That is not Stevo's community MX-KDE respin, which is a complete iso image where Stevo configured KDE4 to run nicely on the MX15/16 base.

If you start with that one, things might be easier. The link below gives you info not just on the respin, but also some guidelines if you want to install KDE4 manually from package installer.

https://mxlinux.org/wiki/system/kde-on-mx-linux
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Mauser

#13 Post by Mauser »

asqwerth wrote:That is not Stevo's community MX-KDE respin, which is a complete iso image where Stevo configured KDE4 to run nicely on the MX15/16 base.

If you start with that one, things might be easier. The link below gives you info not just on the respin, but also some guidelines if you want to install KDE4 manually from package installer.

Thanks. I think I will stick with Xfce unless I get bored. What I really would like to try is to install Plasma 5.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

richb
Administrator

#14 Post by richb »

Mauser wrote:
asqwerth wrote:That is not Stevo's community MX-KDE respin, which is a complete iso image where Stevo configured KDE4 to run nicely on the MX15/16 base.

Thanks. I think I will stick with Xfce unless I get bored. What I really would like to try is to install Plasma 5.
At this point I would recommend exploring Plasma in another distro, say Kubuntu. Plasma 5 is available in Stretch, so you can Stretch MX 16.1, (instructions in the wiki), and then install it. But be prepared for some glitches and debugging, I would think.

When MX 17 comes out, I would not be surprised if Stevo made a community spin of an MX 17 Plasma 5.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Mauser

#15 Post by Mauser »

richb wrote:
Mauser wrote:

At this point I would recommend exploring Plasma in another distro, say Kubuntu. Plasma 5 is available in Stretch, so you can Stretch MX 16.1, (instructions in the wiki), and then install it. But be prepared for some glitches and debugging, I would think.

When MX 17 comes out, I would not be surprised if Stevo made a community spin of an MX 17 Plasma 5.
Thanks. That's one of the biggest problem with KDE. The instructions on how to install Plasma 5 are like having no instructions at all because the way it is written. I have looked into it already and I haven't found anything. I will stick with Xfce because it works. Thanks anyway.

Stevo
Developer

#16 Post by Stevo »

At least in KDE 4, the taskbar color is part of a KDE desktop theme, so it can be changed by changing a theme. I think the download function in the theme settings is now broken for KDE 4 to get new ones, but I provided a fair selection of themes in my ISO respin, and I think you can still manually install them from downloads. You can also customize themes by mixing and matching different elements from them, including the taskbar.

asqwerth
Developer

#17 Post by asqwerth »

And downloading Kvantum manager might help with theme management or tweaking.
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)

rover

#18 Post by rover »

@ Stevo , If i may offer my personal experience , after a few months of experimenting with plasma 5 on Kubuntu and KDE Neon .
I started on Kubuntu with plasma 5.6 and it was not the best experience , manually upgraded to plasma 5.8 and it was significantly better , and more stable .
After an error with my grub screen ( i was dualbooting ) i decided to try KDE Neon , in an attempt to follow the latest on Plasma 5 .
In its current guise ( Neon 5.10.4 ) its a very stable experience , still a few minor bugs to work out , but much more pleasant to use , than the early versions.

So when you decide to make a newer MX-KDE respin, please consider using Plasma 5.8 or higher to build it .
Best Regards

Stevo
Developer

#19 Post by Stevo »

The KDE respins I've done in the past have just used the KDE that Debian provides, since that gets all the security updates from Debian, and there have been more than a few during the lifetime of Jessie.

A newer KDE may be possible, but I think that would need more than just little ol' me in a side project, both in the creation and maintenance stages.

asqwerth
Developer

#20 Post by asqwerth »

rover wrote:@ Stevo , If i may offer my personal experience , after a few months of experimenting with plasma 5 on Kubuntu and KDE Neon .
I started on Kubuntu with plasma 5.6 and it was not the best experience , manually upgraded to plasma 5.8 and it was significantly better , and more stable .
After an error with my grub screen ( i was dualbooting ) i decided to try KDE Neon , in an attempt to follow the latest on Plasma 5 .
In its current guise ( Neon 5.10.4 ) its a very stable experience , still a few minor bugs to work out , but much more pleasant to use , than the early versions.

So when you decide to make a newer MX-KDE respin, please consider using Plasma 5.8 or higher to build it .
Best Regards
I doubt Plasma 5.8 can be in a MX16 (Debian Jessie) respin in any case.

See: https://wiki.debian.org/KDE

Plasma 5.8 is the version in Debian 9 (Stretch), which will be the base for MX17.

Return to “MX Respins”