Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

KDE4 Standard - Problems

Help on all MX Re-spins
tkonicz

KDE4 Standard - Problems

#1 Post by tkonicz »

Hello, I tried to use KDE4-Standard install from MX-Installer (popular packages). There are many severe problems (Dell Latitude 5570 Laptop, i5-6300 CPU): The Screen brightness is always maxed out, the Volume is always fully maxed - even when starting KDE-apps in Xfce. The Themes do not work, I can not apply them. There is no network manager installed, so I have to boot to XFCE first in order to get internet in KDE.
My advise: Simply remove KDE form the "popular" Packages, for it would need lots of work to fix it.

Greetings, tom

hene

Re: KDE4 Standard - Problems

#2 Post by hene »

This is not in fact a "reply" -- more an advise suplicantive report.
I did appreciated mx linux 16.1 but i'm now finishing my 3rd re-install and concluding there's somtehing awfuly wrong with the 36 updates available do download and apply because i've complied with that invitation twice
only to achieve a freezing screen with a weird bird but no menu panel and no mouse when of a follow up afterbooting attempt: i mean ending my 2 previous re-installtments plus duly updates and restarting loading mx linux again i only get the said bird image on screen and no menu panel and no mouse.

Please advise if i better ignore the updating or what -- otherwise i'll have to give up this attractive distro --
thanks for your possible attention.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#3 Post by Jerry3904 »

Welcome to the Forum. Are you using KDE as well as OP, or did you put this in the wrong thread by mistake?

Please post back with the output of this command that lets us see your system specs:

Code: Select all

inxi -F
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

hene

#4 Post by hene »

Thanks for your kind attention. Here goes resulting infos output of your instruction code inserted in terminal. Please
do let me have your feedback help on this issue but in such terms i could cope with -- i'm just an ignoramus noobe in what concerns linux and moreover the debian creed. Finally i would like to use kde format and the above post on the
same issue although generic triggered me some encouragement to post hereby. Sorry if i messed this fora structure.

hene

#5 Post by hene »

CPU: Dual core Intel Core2 Duo P8700 (-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
clock speeds: max: 2534 MHz 1: 1600 MHz 2: 1600 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RV730/M96 [Mobility Radeon HD 4650/5165]
Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1024x768@59.92hz, 1024x768@60.00hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV730 (DRM 2.45.0 / 4.7.0-0.bpo.1-amd64, LLVM 3.8.1)
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 12.0.3
Audio: Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RV710/730 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 4000 series]
driver: snd_hda_intel
Card-2 Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.7.0-0.bpo.1-amd64
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller driver: r8169
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:23:5a:f7:51:30
Card-2: Realtek RTL8191SEvB Wireless LAN Controller driver: rtl8192se
IF: wlan0 state: down mac: 00:22:5f:cf:6b:ff
Drives: HDD Total Size: 351.0GB (8.7% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST9320325AS size: 320.1GB
ID-2: USB /dev/sdc model: DataTraveler_2.0 size: 31.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 29G used: 7.1G (27%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5
ID-2: /home size: 13G used: 578M (5%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda6
ID-3: swap-1 size: 7.65GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda7
ID-4: swap-2 size: 9.13GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda9
ID-5: swap-3 size: 6.56GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda11
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 47.0C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 190 Uptime: 20 min Memory: 594.2/3921.1MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.11

Jerry3904
Administrator

#6 Post by Jerry3904 »

Thanks. You missed the beginning of the output and we would like to see the repos you are using, so please post back all the output of this:

inxi -Sr
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB

hene

#7 Post by hene »

Thank YOU. Here goes -- following:

$ inxi -Sr
System: Host: hene-mx161 Kernel: 4.7.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Xfce 4.12.2
Distro: MX-16.1_x64 Metamorphosis 8 June 2017
Repos: Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/antix.list
deb http://it.mxrepo.com/antix/jessie/ jessie main
Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian-stable-updates.list
deb http://ftp.pt.debian.org/debian/ jessie-updates main contrib non-free
Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list
deb http://ftp.pt.debian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free
Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/jessiebackport.list
deb http://http.debian.net/debian jessie-backports main
Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mx.list
deb http://it.mxrepo.com/mx/repo/ mx15 main non-free
Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mx16.list
deb http://it.mxrepo.com/mx/repo/ mx16 non-free mail
««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««««
@JERRY:
As you can see i'm using xfce and not what KDE as i would prefer. But i am now obliged to re-install AGAIN Mx Linux 16.1 -- one last attempt, i add. Once i was horsing aound the desktop and the menu contents getting to know some "new" (for me, of course) programs, when i submitted to the whim of
changing the panel position and thus i clicked-grabbed it from the last upper right corner bits pushing
slowly down to place it at the horizontal bottom position on my monitor -- to my amazement it obeyed and followed my gesture drift!!! -- briefly i highlight -- because when left it free in the new placing it
vanished completely and never appeared again whatever gimmicks i mouse-ensured around BUT: gone with no wind!
And for keeps.
Now i've already stated my stout, deep ignorance and lack of expertise -- however once even donkeys can learn to walk, then run and even to stop, i've learned somehow to build a launcher for a browser (firefox -- about which i was immediately adverted of its ´dangerous' qualities) -- and here i am to see if meanwhile i would catch some kind helping feedback to overcome this stupid obnoxious situation and avoid to have to re-install Mx Linux, for the 4th time. Obviously i cannot accept to continue submitted to this scene (the weird bird came back -- and that was all i achieved with my right clicking promenades across the desktop).
BE AWARE noobees like me: this is a pretty awkward scene to live (and learn...). Jerry i'' try to be back here within one hour or so. To see if you or any other kind soul provided some tricky secret to overcome this damnation: i'm loosing trust in mx linux -- if i decide to re-install it, i'll have to accept to use it haunted with fear and with soft gloves on.
See you later ...(?)
Regards, hene

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#8 Post by chrispop99 »

The 'problem' you are finding with the Xfce panel would be the same whatever distribution with an Xfce desktop you tried. It's not directly related to MX, but to your admitted inexperience.

There is a setting for the panel to hide it until you move to the very bottom of the screen. Have you perhaps accidentally set that? In other words, if you move the mouse pointer to the very bottom of the screen, does the panel pop up?

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

Jerry3904
Administrator

#9 Post by Jerry3904 »

Thanks again. I have a couple of thoughts:

1) if you are a total newbie, read at least Section 3 of the Users Manual--then get used to the system before you start changing all sorts of things.
2) KDE won't be much good if you just install it and don't know how to set it up, as the first post in this thread makes clear. There is no MX-16 KDE version, but you could use an unofficial KDE4 respin of MX-16 here.
3) Open Synaptic > Settings > Repositories, and uncheck this repo (did you enable that yourself?):

deb http://http.debian.net/debian jessie-backports main
Then reload, mark all upgrades and apply.

EDIT: and what Chris said!

hene

#10 Post by hene »

@chrispop99:
Thanks. Yes i moved the cursor to the fringe bottom frame (where i 've lately softly left the panel column (having the previous care of tapping to the "intelligently" mode of response. And NO, unfortunately it does not resuscitates with
that move;
@Jerry:
Further let me assure -- as i clearly described before i just opened up some "new" programs (new for me, of course): i did NOT "start changing all sorts of things" (to quote your 'friendly' wording) and yes you are correct: after the dismayng result of my 1st installation -- the already described frozen state) --- i shamefully did NOT read "at least" the Section 3 of the said Manual -- i insisted on the task of re-installation, patiently, to try if my luck changed (a sort of 'factory reset' as it might be called). AND Yes, again and again, i hereby swear i'm an inexperienced mx linux prober.
My only experience, since i dropped out from 20 years of Windows (starting 3.1 up to Ultimate 7) and then plus only 5 to 6 years of Linux Mint use (starting with Mint 9 and giving up at 18.1) and, YES, i still think firmly that the real way to learn something is to TRY and Fail and try again, more if needed... -- oh-well, perhaps i'm wrong... => BUT (while i'm re-installing mx linux 16.1, once more with feeling!) what i can see clearly is that we both do not appreciate our styles and thus i thank you for your time and bid you fairwell for today.

Return to “MX Respins”