Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

HELP troubleshoot backing up user files to ext. medium

Help on all MX Re-spins
eemaestro

HELP troubleshoot backing up user files to ext. medium

#1 Post by eemaestro »

Today, June 10, was the first I tried backing up to my TOSHIBA EXT external 1 TB USB drive running only off USB power.

This was the first I tried since rewriting my MEPIS 12 partition w/ MX-16 about a week ago. I must have overlooked something. When I installed MX-16, I kept my user name and /home/user files intact. Everything on /home/user seemed readable and writeable up until now. I did change my user password manually after upgrading to MX-16.

My usual rsync backup script stopped working. Each and every rsync call in the backup script generates the 3-line error message

Code: Select all

sending incremental file list
rsync: mkdir "/media/TOSHIBA EXT" failed: Permission denied (13)
rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at main.c(674) [Receiver=3.1.1]
Here are the permissions for one user text file on the external drive.

$ lsf /media/jon/"TOSHIBA EXT"/URLs.txt
-rw------- 1 jon jon 259951 May 28 00:55 /media/jon/TOSHIBA EXT/URLs
.txt

Here are the permissions for my backup script.

jon@mx1:~$ lsf USBackup_v
-rwxr--r-- 1 jon users 9075 Mar 16 14:12 USBackup_v*
Note I am running this script as user. In the past, it ran fine as user. However, the terminal wouldn't let me unmount (using $umount) on this VFAT external medium. I had to su everytime I wanted to manually unmount the external drive after using it. ( I never had to do this with my other identical USB drive, which is formatted ext2.)

What did I neglect to do, or overlook, in assuming my old user scripts would keep working as always after switching from MEPIS 12 to MX-16 and keeping the /home/user intact ? What did I forget to do for the new OS ? Is it the username appended to the /media mount point? i.e. /media/jon/"TOSHIBA EXT" instead of /media/"TOSHIBA EXT"/ ?

BTW, less still works fine with these files, e.g.,

$less /media/jon/"TOSHIBA EXT"/URLs.txt 

Return to “MX Respins”