Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

MX-16: In KDE how do you remove the username from the user login dialog box? - SOLVED

Help on all MX Re-spins
eemaestro

MX-16: In KDE how do you remove the username from the user login dialog box? - SOLVED

#1 Post by eemaestro »

This is the dialog box with two white boxes for text input, one for username & one for the corresponding userpassword, that appears right after you boot MX-16.

I googled the title's text, and found it varies from distro. to distro. Nor is there anything about attributes for the user login dialog box in the MX-16 Wiki. Does anybody remember either a text file or a GUI that pertains to changing the default appearance of this KDE userin login dialog box?

In MEPIS 12, I'd have looked for K->....Kuser (or maybe Kwin ) settings for user settings such as user password. But after poking around in the taskbar, I can't find either Kuser or Kwin settings in MX-16 KDE. I'd expect this to be a user setting, as opposed to a system setting. Although I already looked through all the K->System->.... and K->Settings->... GUI stuff.
Last edited by eemaestro on Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

eemaestro

Re: MX-16: In KDE how do you remove the username from the user login dialog box ?

#2 Post by eemaestro »

After finding this wiki https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LightDM, I experimented with a system file. Here is what I found:

This worked for me for the lightdm window manager. I don't know if a similar procedure might work for another window manager.

Backup this system file just in case:

Code: Select all

#cd /usr/share/lightdm/lightmd.conf.d
#cp 02_MX-16.conf 02_MX-16.conf.old
Now edit the file 02_MX-16.conf.
Change the line
greeter-hide-users=false
to
greeter-hide-users=true
Save the file.
Reboot.
NOTE: This disables username display for all users at the user login dialog box.
Maybe I should have put this question under the System Security category, if there is such a one.

Return to “MX Respins”