Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

MX 16 KDE Checksum

Help on all MX Re-spins
scorpio

Re: MX 16 KDE Checksum

#11 Post by scorpio »

Stevo wrote:Is that the KDE addon that lets the user use Emerald window decorations? I was just thinking about porting it over, too!
Yes Stevo, it's exactly that. I'm currently running Emerald window decorations powered by Smaragd on Neon.

scorpio

#12 Post by scorpio »

scorpio wrote:
Stevo wrote:Is that the KDE addon that lets the user use Emerald window decorations? I was just thinking about porting it over, too!
Yes Stevo, it's exactly that. I'm currently running Emerald window decorations powered by Smaragd on Neon.
Hint: get in touch with cfeck (Cristoph Feck).

scorpio

#13 Post by scorpio »

Stevo, I've tried more than a hundred emerald themes and Smaragd is faster than Aurorae. It's also less resource-hungry. What engine are you using in your spin for transparent-blurry window decorations?

I really don't understand (I'm new to KDE) why KDE currently supports Aurorae by default.

scorpio

#14 Post by scorpio »

You'll probably need to install some packages first in order to build Smaragd. I'm just not sure where to get them from in Debian.

scorpio

#15 Post by scorpio »

If interested @cfeck on GitHub

Stevo
Developer

#16 Post by Stevo »

The Aurorae window decoration engine is built into that version of KDE 4. However, I have my respin using the good old kwin-style-crystal one, just like MEPIS did. So it's pretty standard Oxygen widget style with the Crystal windec. However, if you want to get into some more interesting style configurations, set the style to use Kvantum (included) and then use the Kvantum Manager (in Settings) to play around with some of the many included themes.

I have some already debianized kwin-style-smaragd source packages from a PPA; that takes almost all the work out of building packages if they did it right. We have an emerald-themes package in the test repo, but I don't know if Smaragd can "see" those where they get installed, I'll have to check.

scorpio

#17 Post by scorpio »

Stevo wrote:The Aurorae window decoration engine is built into that version of KDE 4. However, I have my respin using the good old kwin-style-crystal one, just like MEPIS did. So it's pretty standard Oxygen widget style with the Crystal windec. However, if you want to get into some more interesting style configurations, set the style to use Kvantum (included) and then use the Kvantum Manager (in Settings) to play around with some of the many included themes.

I have some already debianized kwin-style-smaragd source packages from a PPA; that takes almost all the work out of building packages if they did it right. We have an emerald-themes package in the test repo, but I don't know if Smaragd can "see" those where they get installed, I'll have to check.
That's interesting. Thanks Stevo. I went KDE because I grew dissatisfied with anything Gnome and its offshoots. KDE and Xfce are my favourites. I'm not denigrating Gnome but it's limiting. I'll feedback on your spin asap. Been short on time since our first encounter on the forum. I hope you'll port your spin to the next Debian stable when it comes out. I like continuity and things that last. I'm definitely not the typical consumer.

Return to “MX Respins”