Hello unsupported and unofficial MX-16 with KDE ?

Help on all MX Re-spins
joejac

Hello unsupported and unofficial MX-16 with KDE ?

#1 Post by joejac »

Hello to all

I wonder when KDE 16 (unofficial) :happy: is going to be released?
As a suggestion please include in the ISO Skype, Virtualbox, KeepNote, HP Printer and Scanner, uGet, Inkscape whith these and the other applications it will be the perfect distro! :number1:

Best regards
joejac
Last edited by joejac on Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

anticapitalista
Developer

Re: Hello KDE 16 ?

#2 Post by anticapitalista »

Can't you just install them afterwards? Not everyone wants the iso to include the apps you mention.
BTW There is no kde16 and skype does not work in Debian stretch
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

joejac

#3 Post by joejac »

Hello anticapitalista,

I know, I was joking, I meant MX-16 KDE unofficial and unsupported. When I was newbie and asked something related to the distro, there where some one complained that there was no official MX-15 KDE. Do you have any idea of a release of such unsupported MX-16 with KDE desktop? But if MX-16 do not support Skype this is a very strong limitation for me humm...

Best regards
Joejac

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#4 Post by dolphin_oracle »

joejac wrote:Hello anticapitalista,

I know, I was joking, I meant MX-16 KDE unofficial and unsupported. When I was newbie and asked something related to the distro, there where some one complained that there was no official MX-15 KDE. Do you have any idea of a release of such unsupported MX-16 with KDE desktop? But if MX-16 do not support Skype this is a very strong limitation for me humm...

Best regards
Joejac
mx-16 supports skype fine. stretch (mx17 and antix17) does not.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

richb
Administrator

Re: Hello unsupported and unofficial MX-16 with KDE ?

#5 Post by richb »

No current plans for MX-16 KDE unsupported. MX-15 KDE unsupported was created by one of our users unofficially because he wanted to. Unless someone decides to create it, it will not happen. But of course you can add KDE to MX-16 yourself using MX Tools > MX Package installer. Check the wiki for instructions.

https://mxlinux.org/wiki/system/kde-on-mx-linux
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#6 Post by dolphin_oracle »

also, since the unofficial spin and mx-16 both share the same debian jessie base, you could just add the mx16 repo the the mx15 kde spin and do a dist-upgrade or run the migration tool in mx-package installer.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

richb
Administrator

#7 Post by richb »

@ D_O. I know if you you use MX Packaage Installer to install KDE you have the option at login to still log in to XFCE. Does MX-15 KDE respin have the option to boot to XFCE?
Forum Rules

richb Administrator

joejac

#8 Post by joejac »

Ok thanks to all

I installed Skype and is working in MX-16, but I am worry about MX-17 since I am pleased with MX and I would not like to jump around between distros like before, I have some questions, please:
1.- Do you think it would be a workaround to have Skype in future MX releases?
2.- Was Stevo the person who created the unsupported MX-15 KDE? MX-15 KDE was fantastic, but my laptop AC/DC adapter crashed and I do not get the spare here, I had to install MX16 in a desktop. Hello richb, yes MX-15 KDE has the option to switch to XFCE, very nice.
3.- Is there a link to a tutorial on how to add KDE to MX-16? please bear in mind that I am not a Linux expert.
4.- I Hope installing HPLIP in MX-16 is not going to be as difficult as in MX-15
5.- Is MX17 still systemd free?

Best regards
joejac

richb
Administrator

#9 Post by richb »

Is there a link to a tutorial on how to add KDE to MX-16? please bear in mind that I am not a Linux expert.
I linked it here:

viewtopic.php?p=408987#p408987
Forum Rules

richb Administrator

v3g4n

#10 Post by v3g4n »

joejac wrote: 5.- Is MX17 still systemd free?
FYI, neither MX15 nor MX16 are systemd free like antiX is.
From the User Manual
1.7 Systemd
Because the use of systemd as a system and service manager has been controversial, we want to be clear about its function in MX Linux. Systemd is included by default but not enabled. You can scan your MX system and discover files bearing systemd* names, but those simply provide a compatibility hook/entrypoint when needed.
MX Linux uses systemd-shim, which emulates the systemd functions that are required to run the helpers without actually using the init service. This means that SvsVinit remains the default init yet MX Linux can use Debian packages that have systemd dependencies such as CUPS. This approach also allows the user to retain the ability to choose his/her preferred init.

Return to “MX Respins”