Hello unsupported and unofficial MX-16 with KDE ?

Help on all MX Re-spins
anticapitalista
Developer

Re: Hello unsupported and unofficial MX-16 with KDE ?

#11 Post by anticapitalista »

There is no MX-17. MX-17 will be based on Debian stretch, which has not been released yet. We don't even know when Debian stretch will be released, but my guess is September at the earliest. Hopefully, by then, it will be just as easy to install skype as it is on MX-16.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#12 Post by dolphin_oracle »

the new skype for linux beta was just released. I'm hoping that will install on stretch ok. I'm planning to work on it this weekend.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#13 Post by Jerry3904 »

I had trouble the other day finding it after the announcements, finally located it here:

https://repo.skype.com/deb/pool/main/s/skypeforlinux/

Installed it, then had trouble finding the executable, which is here:

/usr/share/skypeforlinux/skypeforlinux
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Jerry3904
Administrator

#14 Post by Jerry3904 »

I read that it has no Options to adjust mike and cam, and that appears to be true--at least I can't find it and see nothing it the directory that looks like it.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

joejac

#15 Post by joejac »

Hello and thanks to all,

v3g4n, that means that Systemd is there but disabled to mess with the system, by the default installation right?, so it is fine to use MX16 because it do not make use of Systemd and Systemd can not do anything, right?
richb, thanks I overlooked the link, I will try to install KDE by myself.

Regards
joejac

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#16 Post by dolphin_oracle »

joejac wrote:Hello and thanks to all,

v3g4n, that means that Systemd is there but disabled to mess with the system, by the default installation right?, so it is fine to use MX16 because it do not make use of Systemd and Systemd can not do anything, right?
richb, thanks I overlooked the link, I will try to install KDE by myself.

Regards
joejac

its present but not used for the init system or to manager services. Its there for compatibility with certain apps that demand its presence.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Stevo
Developer

#17 Post by Stevo »

The MX 15 KDE unofficial respin also includes the MX XFCE desktop and all the MX Tools. If I was in your situation, I'd just install that and then use the migration script that should appear in the package installer to migrate to MX 16--but if you're using KDE, only the upgrades to the various MX applets should have any effect. They run just fine in KDE in my testing.

Some of those requested applications, Skype in particular, may require permission for redistribution--that could need a lot of research. We already ship with the hplip HP printer drivers...are we missing the GUI? Yes, it adds an icon that takes up valuable space in the panel, many users don't happen to have an HP printer, and that would annoy them.

Keepnote looks interesting, and would add about 500K to the ISO--perhaps we should add it.

Return to “MX Respins”