K3b error message

Help on all MX Re-spins
Dieselrider

K3b error message

#1 Post by Dieselrider »

I have used this program for ever but lately I am getting a error message while trying to burn a cd. The message is saying it is likely the hard disk is full. Not finding anything regarding this online, in the manual or on wiki. There is not a space issue in the box but, could this be that the cd/dvd burner is toast? Can someone point me in the right direction, please? Thank you
Always try to be the best but, never think you are the best.

MX-19 64 bit
Asus M4A79XTD EVO Mobo,
AMD Phenom II X4 965 CPU,
Corsair 8GB DDR3 RAM,
Seagate 1TB HDD,
Ultra LSP550 550W Power Supply

timkb4cq
Developer

Re: K3b error message

#2 Post by timkb4cq »

There is a setting in the Configure menu that sets up where the temporary directories are. It defaults to /var/temp/kde-$USER/
You might not have enough space left on /var, or have too restrictive permissions on /var. You can change the setting to a spot where you do have space.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

Dieselrider

#3 Post by Dieselrider »

Okay, according to my k3b settings, it is looking for '/var/tmp/kde-denny/'. However, when I go to '/var/tmp/' I do not find any directory labeled 'kde-denny' Is this something I could have deleted or am I looking in the wrong place?
screenshot 1.png
Screenshot_2.png
Can I just create a directory or is there something else i must do?

MX-19 64 bit
Asus M4A79XTD EVO Mobo,
Corsair 8GB DDR3 RAM,
Seagate 1TB HDD,

timkb4cq
Developer

#4 Post by timkb4cq »

If I'm not mistaken, K3B creates the folder on the fly when it actually needs to write temporary files - i.e. when you start the burn process.

To get a quick overall look at disk usage, open a terminal & run

Code: Select all

df -H
/var is part of / by default in MX. /home can be either separate or part of / depending on how you installed.
If / has less free than twice the size of the data you are burning you can get the message you reported.
/var/tmp should belong to root but have 777 permissions (rw for everybody).
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

Dieselrider

#5 Post by Dieselrider »

Okay, that could explain why it gives that error. If I am reading this correctly, I only have 838 MB free in the tmp directory.
screenshot 3.png
If I am understanding the layout correctly, home is inside/ but, I have 784GB of 933 GB free inside the home partition. While inside the root partition I have 13.5 GB of 25.7 GB free. Can I change the path to use the home directory as the temp files for k3b? '/home/kde-denny/'? Would it then place them there? Thanks

MX-19 64 bit
Asus M4A79XTD EVO Mobo,
Corsair 8GB DDR3 RAM,
Seagate 1TB HDD,

Dieselrider

#6 Post by Dieselrider »

I admit that the file system and how this works is over my head. I can understand many mechanical things that I can see and figure out how they work but, these electrons are invisible and I really think many of them are up to no good.
I just burned an ISO image of MX-16 using K3b. The file size being 1.2 Gb or something like that and there was no issue burning that size file. But, when I try to burn 600MB or so of music, I am getting the error?

I have been reading the manual on how the file system works and some of it makes sense but, some does not. I guess, I need to either increas the size of the TMP directory or find a way to move it to a larger partition? Thanks, I'll check back in later.

MX-19 64 bit
Asus M4A79XTD EVO Mobo,
Corsair 8GB DDR3 RAM,
Seagate 1TB HDD,

Return to “MX Respins”